News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: Albertosaurus on March 29, 2016, 10:21:37 AM
Thereare few things more "prehistoric" than a modern crocodile.
good job
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

I got the Kaprosuchus today :D and to me it's the best figure Papo has ever produced!
Great sculpting - even better than their famous Nile Crocodile. Love the details!
The first "movable jaw figure" (to be strict, it's not the jaw that's movable) I can say it doesn't disturb me. It's almost invisible :).
The Suchomimus and the Velociraptor have sloppy paintjobs that also do not testify an eye for colours.
I'm happy to say that the Kaprosuchus is the opposite - wonderful paintjob! Mine is nearly black and it looks fantastic!
I was almost losing hope in Papo, but this one is a prehistoric figure milestone to me :).
Pictures will follow as soon as the sun shows up again in Germany.

postsaurischian

P.S.: ....... with a full body length of 29 cm I would say it's about 1:20.
                Bad flashlight pic, but I couldn't wait :-[ :).

DinoG

Looks like you have a serious collection there... I am waiting for more pictures of the kapro by the way as I didn't like it in the beginning but as the time goes by I find it more and more appealing! Could you tell us how much you paid for it?
Run!

postsaurischian

DinoG

That's much better than the 30£ speculated in previous posts. Will be watching this thread closely.
Run!

sauroid

wow Helge. even your "bad" pic is gorgeous. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

Croc beauty  :)

Silvanusaurus

I got the Kaprosuchus and feathered Raptor in the post today!

The Kaprosuchus is stunning, when first revealed I thought it looked quite underwhelming, but in hand I think it's porbably the most realistic  prehistoric reptile from Papo, and beautifully dynamic. The colours are very dark but also seem a lot richer in reality than they appear in photos. The drawback is that the paint-work on the teeth and eyes is not as clean as I'd like.

The raptor has also exceeded my expectations, it's a really elegant figure with lovely detail. The colours are really quite vivid, especially for Papo, and it looks very pretty. Unfortunately, the paint variations over the body are quite sloppily applied and glossy like the Baryonyx, but it's not very noticeable unless you look intently. The seams behind the head and the tail are annoying though. I love the shades of green on the face, and the lips that cover the teeth when the mouth is closed. I'm still not a fan of the shrink-wrapped feathers that seem to conform too much to the body, leaving it looking quite gaunt, but overall it doesn't bother me too much, it's a massive leap ahead from those unpleasant JP raptor designs.

Here are my three new 2016 Papo figures together:

As much as I love the Baryonyx, I have to say these two figures surpass it as believable prehistoric animals. All together I think it's a pretty fantastic set of releases from Papo this year, and easily some of their best figures to date. I'm not interested in getting the rex and raptor repaints they are releasing, so I guess that's it for new Papos this year...

DinoG

That's sooooooo bad ass!!!! You don't wanna be the one those eyes are focussing on! Done, sold!
Run!

Shadowknight1

It's a shame that your raptor is crosseyed.  I have a feeling I may have to end up repainting the eyes on mine if the trend continues.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

MLMjp

Wow this year papo has decided to get glossy.  ::)

Man! That Kapro looks almost ALIVE.

The feathered raptor also looks nice, although in this case I would have prefer darker colors. I have been thinking... Should I get this guy as a non-to-scale Velociraptor figure in my collection? Or use it as a Utahraptor?(Like I used to do with the older Papo raptors)

Also......Could somebody get a rainbow running Tyrannosaurus and post pictures of it??!!!

Victoria's Cantina

The Kapro looks fantastic. I think I'm going to have to revise my previous stance on not getting it. Definitely want the raptor, but still on the fence about Bary.

Viking Spawn

I agree with Victoria.  I like 2 out of the 3.  Barry still looks strange to me.   :-\

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 31, 2016, 05:12:40 PM
It's a shame that your raptor is crosseyed.  I have a feeling I may have to end up repainting the eyes on mine if the trend continues.

The Kaprosuchus velociraptor and feathered look fabulous. Although I have seen in the figure of the feathered velociraptor your pupils are suffering from strabismus.

Video Figure I located on the Internet and sent to the forum had the same defect.

Silvanusaurus

Yeah, I think I will have to repaint the eyes so they are aligned... I'd quite like to do a repaint of the whole figure at some point, as the feather detail provides lots of opportunity to use interesting avian colour schemes...

Saurox

They look amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Georassic

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 31, 2016, 09:31:46 PM
Yeah, I think I will have to repaint the eyes so they are aligned... I'd quite like to do a repaint of the whole figure at some point, as the feather detail provides lots of opportunity to use interesting avian colour schemes...

Just buy a pack of them and paint them all like modern birds. That would be great. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Saurox

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on April 01, 2016, 04:54:39 AM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 31, 2016, 09:31:46 PM

Just buy a pack of them and paint them all like modern birds. That would be great. ;)

which birds?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: