News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTwentyBelow

All of these look pretty great; they are all definitely on my list.

I think the Shunosaurus is the best of the bunch, so organic looking with the color pattern and pose.

I wish I could see some shots of the Carcharodontosaurus from other angles.

I am also not sure why there are so many misgivings about the Masiakasaurus. It is immediately recognizable as the genus and a good sculpt. All you naysayers know you're going to get it anyway (because there really aren't options for Masiakasaurus) so I don't see what the point is.

I think that with the unfortunate recent passing of Mr. LoRusso, Mr. Watson is now the most talented sculptor currently in the prehistoric figure market. In my opinion, he very solidly is.

Shonisaurus

For me the masiakasaurus is from my point of view a very large figure. I like especially the realism of his painting and his excellent finish (at first glance of their teeth).

Without saying that the other figures are just as excellent as the masiakasaurus. On the other hand the carcharodontosarus Safari improves Collecta with difference. For me it is a great year for Safari.

Kovu

Quote from: Takama on October 24, 2015, 07:09:35 AM
The problem is would the public be as thrilled by them as with the Ceratopsians?

Maybe. I think that if they lean more towards the ones with cool headgear or impressively sized, the general public would like them. That way, they would also be more distinguishable from each other to the average shopper as well.

suspsy

The fact of the matter is that your average dinosaur-loving kid just isn't going to get as excited about an ornithopods as he/she will about a theropod or a ceratopsian. It's like trying to make antelopes as popular as lions and elephants.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Yutyrannus

On the note of ornithopods, a nice Leaellynasaura figure would be appreciated (I'm actually quite surprised Collecta hasn't made one yet) :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

If Safari can make at least one Small Ornithopod. I will be happy.     I suggested Kulindadromeus because its the only known member to have a Feather like Covering.   If they do this one, then everyone will not be complaining that it does not have feathers due to this individual animal being the One Member in its family that we know had them. (BTW I Really doubt that Safari will make more then one small Ornithopod)

alexeratops

They're all pretty cool... the Giganotosaurus though. That weird pose.
like a bantha!

Shonisaurus

I understand that it is very hasty to judge new replicas of Safari. We need more photographs (which, over time, I guess they will be revealed) to judge these works.
Spectacular figures seem to me

Regardless which is a towering figure in it as I am concerned I do not like how the Safari shunosaurus is painted. I am in favour of more conventional and less avant-garde colors in this case, therefore it is for my part rather than a simple appreciation.

Kovu

Quote from: suspsy on October 26, 2015, 02:43:54 AM
The fact of the matter is that your average dinosaur-loving kid just isn't going to get as excited about an ornithopods as he/she will about a theropod or a ceratopsian. It's like trying to make antelopes as popular as lions and elephants.

Sadly, I think you're right. But, it's always nice to dream? Either that or I'm just too young and idealistic haha
That being said, I'd imagine that they could be comparable to horse figurines. Those are pretty popular, with whole lines or even whole companies dedicated to them. (just look at Safari, Schleich, Papo, Breyer).

Gwangi

Quote from: Kovu on October 26, 2015, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 26, 2015, 02:43:54 AM

Sadly, I think you're right. But, it's always nice to dream? Either that or I'm just too young and idealistic haha
That being said, I'd imagine that they could be comparable to horse figurines. Those are pretty popular, with whole lines or even whole companies dedicated to them. (just look at Safari, Schleich, Papo, Breyer).

I think horses have a much broader appeal what with them being extant and having a long connected history with humans.

CityRaptor

Ornithopods being unpopular while their mammalian knock-offs are probably the most reproduced animal figures next to humans is a cruel irony.  The popularity of My little Pony just makes it worse.

Given that mammals dominate the modern animal market, it is just right that Saurians dominate the much smaller prehistoric animal market.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: Mitko on October 25, 2015, 01:15:05 PM
Apart from having a rather thin tail and the arms are kind of bigger than they should be, this is one pretty good Carcharodontosaurus. As for CollectA's Carcharodontosaurus, I would say although its purposely made wide hips, the only significant inaccuracy is its head. Which (I think) is based on the older skull length estimation of 160cm, while newer estimations propose a 150-155cm skull length. Carcharodontosauridae skull to body length ratio is 1/8-1/8.9 and the CollectA's one is ~1/7. Or if they had made the figure longer and the ratio would have matched.

All of this is written according to what I have read about this dinosaur and also my opinion on it.
:)

I am talking about SGM-Din 1, if we talk about Stromer's one then we are looking at a "much" smaller animal.

How much of a Carcharodontosaurus's skeleton is actually known, though?  From what I've read it appears most of the skull is known (excluding the lower jaw which doesn't seem to be known?), and the rest of the skeleton is known from fragmentary remains.  Is any of the forelimb known for Carcharodontosaurus?  I don't think we can tell if the tail on the new WS Carcharo is too thin from the photos.  I hope it won't be!

Although a lot of the skeleton of Carcharodontosaurus appears to be unknown, from looking at other theropod and animal anatomy, a number of things don't seem to be correct in the CollectA Carcharo:
-All the openings in the skull are visible as very sunken areas.  I don't think this would occur on a healthy animal.  The orbit and temporal fenestra have also been filled in with a completely different colour, but I can't think of any reason why the integument over a skull opening would evolve to be a completely different colour to the surrounding area.  I think making the skull openings very sunken and/or making them a different colour is done to make a prehistoric animal's head look very much like its skull.  However, this isn't realistic or natural, as we know by looking at extant animals.
-There's something bulging out right above the CollectA Carcharo's arms and I have no idea what it is.
-The toe claws that touch the ground look too long.  The hips look too far apart.

The CollectA Carcharo doesn't look like a realistic or natural representation of a Carcharodontosaurus.  Nevertheless, I find it's a cool figure!  It's too unrealistic for me to want to own it, but I'm happy to admire it when I see it in photos.  The new WS Carcharo looks like it could be a real animal.  I really look forward to seeing more photos of it!  I have a very strong feeling that when this WS Carcharodontosaurus is compared to Doug's older WS theropods, like the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus, it will show Doug's dinosaur figures have improved a lot!

Shonisaurus

I bring news from what I've seen in a particular video, is selling the plesiosuchus of Safari. The figure I think that it is larger than the liopleourodon.

It should be on sale on eBay stores. If you put in the search engine google: Safari 2016 plesiosuchus appears cited video

Kovu

Quote from: Gwangi on October 26, 2015, 08:31:10 PM
I think horses have a much broader appeal what with them being extant and having a long connected history with humans.

Oh, for sure! I'm basically just grasping at straws to justify a Shantungosaurus. haha

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Kovu on October 24, 2015, 07:05:31 AM
Quote from: Takama on October 24, 2015, 07:00:10 AM
I would love that a lot if Safari would let him do that.

Dude, just imagine the possibilities! A Maiasaura, a new Parasaurolophus, Shantungosaurus, Saurolophus, Tenontosaurus, Shantungosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Olorotitan, Shantungosaurus, Muttaburrasaurus, the list is endless! Shantungosaurus.

We really need a good, live Tenontosaurus figure on the market. Such an underrepresented genus, and one that I've always found very pleasing to look at, with that super long tail. Any of these genera would be awesome to see in toy form though, as I agree that good ornithopods are very rare in the dinosaur toy market. The only one I've found to be worth owning is the safari Gryposaurus, so any more on the same caliber would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 26, 2015, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: Kovu on October 24, 2015, 07:05:31 AM
Quote from: Takama on October 24, 2015, 07:00:10 AM
I would love that a lot if Safari would let him do that.

Dude, just imagine the possibilities! A Maiasaura, a new Parasaurolophus, Shantungosaurus, Saurolophus, Tenontosaurus, Shantungosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Olorotitan, Shantungosaurus, Muttaburrasaurus, the list is endless! Shantungosaurus.

We really need a good, live Tenontosaurus figure on the market. Such an underrepresented genus, and one that I've always found very pleasing to look at, with that super long tail. Any of these genera would be awesome to see in toy form though, as I agree that good ornithopods are very rare in the dinosaur toy market. The only one I've found to be worth owning is the safari Gryposaurus, so any more on the same caliber would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I think the Collecta Tenontosaurus is decent enough, and it's 1:40 scale! I'm sure Doug could sculpt a better looking one, but until he does, Collecta's is good enough. It certainly looks nice posed next to the Carnegie Deinonychus pack!

CityRaptor

Next to Deinonychus? Poor Tenontosaurus can't catch a break.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Kovu on October 26, 2015, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 26, 2015, 08:31:10 PM

Oh, for sure! I'm basically just grasping at straws to justify a Shantungosaurus. haha

No justification needed. A Shantungosaurus is long overdue!

Halichoeres

What we need is a TV show called My Little Hadrosaur. Then maybe we can get more ornithopod toys.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 27, 2015, 12:07:31 AM
What we need is a TV show called My Little Hadrosaur. Then maybe we can get more ornithopod toys.

Yeah, but they'll look like "My Little Pony" versions of hadrosaurs and I don't think anyone wants that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: