News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Mammal-centric or do they also include birds, crocs and other Sauropsids?

Sport equipment is probably interesting for action figure collectors.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 12, 2015, 06:54:47 PM

They've kind of mashed several toobs together--mostly North America and desert, with some backyard birds, some insects, a few reptiles. It's all over. I think there may be a couple of repaints, and maybe one new-sculpt figure.

CityRaptor

Well, that sounds disappointing.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

My Plesiosuchus showed up last night:

Very happy to have this one. It's a great sculpt, but does suffer from a somewhat hurried paint app, which is about what you'd expect for a figure that retails for $10 or less. I'd pay twice the price if these were painted more carefully. As it is, well worth it for the sculpt alone (and a new genus!).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
Very happy to have this one. It's a great sculpt, but does suffer from a somewhat hurried paint app, which is about what you'd expect for a figure that retails for $10 or less. I'd pay twice the price if these were painted more carefully. As it is, well worth it for the sculpt alone (and a new genus!).

You'd think that something as unique as an OCEAN-DWELLING DINO would warrant a more respectfully nuanced paint job.

terrorchicken

Quote from: SBell on November 12, 2015, 09:11:16 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 12, 2015, 06:54:47 PM

They've kind of mashed several toobs together--mostly North America and desert, with some backyard birds, some insects, a few reptiles. It's all over. I think there may be a couple of repaints, and maybe one new-sculpt figure.

wow bummer, I guess the toobs just arent selling as well as they used to and they are no longer putting any effort into them. Too bad b/c even with non prehistoric animals, there's a lot that can be done:

amphibians
game/sporting fish
asian mountain/forest wildlife
madagascar wildlife
india /indonesia wildlife
wild dogs(wolves/coyotes/foxes and relatives)
viverids and mustelids

Bokisaurus

Interesting. Yeah, Safari's paint up is something that they need to improve on. So many of their figures are ruined by poor paint job.Nice figure.

Shonisaurus

Poor plesiosuchus figure exposed to abrasions.

Gwangi

That paint app is awful, looks like an early Safari model. I don't understand how we can have models with excellent paint application like last years Nasutoceratops and Sauropelta and then get this thing. You would think they would want some kind of consistency.

sauroid

the Plesiosuchus is such an anti climax/disappointment. i hope the others wouldnt be painted as badly.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Those stripes look like they were added on with a lead pencil. The poor toy would have looked better without them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Roselaar

It's okay, but yeah, the paint job leaves a lot to be desired. I reckon there's a few forum members who'll eagerly customize this one though.:)

Halichoeres, would you allow me to use this picture for the Unique Species List?

tyrantqueen

Was the Plesiosuchus done by Douglas? It doesn't look like it...style seems kinda different.

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 13, 2015, 09:45:07 PM
Was the Plesiosuchus done by Douglas? It doesn't look like it...

Sorry to disappoint, I did all five.

John

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 13, 2015, 09:50:13 PM

Trust me,none of the five models for 2016 can be called disappointing.They all,including the Plesiosuchus look fantastic.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Kovu

Quote from: John on November 13, 2015, 10:09:03 PM
Trust me,none of the five models for 2016 can be called disappointing.They all,including the Plesiosuchus look fantastic.

I second that John, none of them are disappointing at all! They are actively the opposite of disappointing. They're un-disappointing. I don't think that's a word, but if it is, that is what they are.

Like I said before, the Plesiosuchus is wonderful and very well sculpted, I just don't collect marine reptiles. It is not a comment of the quality and craftsmanship of the sculpt. I'm totally picking up all four dinosaurs though and will likely pick up at least two of the Shunosaurus so I can have an original and a second to customize.

Gwangi

Just to clarify, I do like the sculpt itself. My issue rests entirely with the paint application.

sauroid

we arent talking about the sculpt of the Plesiosuchus (which is really great), it is the paint job that disappointed.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Raptoress

Very disappointing about the poor paint application. I'm not a very good customiser otherwise I'd do it myself. I'd love to see people's customisation of these models and see the sculpts brought to life like they deserve.

I just don't understand why there is such a difference in quality. The Sauropelta was outstanding! What's up, Safari Ltd? :(

Doug Watson

Quote from: John on November 13, 2015, 10:09:03 PM

That was a bit of tongue in cheek attempt at humour for TQ since it is well known she doesn't like my style

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: