News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I wonder how the Safari Shunosaurus's teeth ended up painted so badly? :(  It would have been easier to paint them all white like in the pre-release pictures than some teeth white and some teeth left pink (unpainted) as they are in the final figure.  The teeth on the final figure versions of the Shunosaurus, Plesiosuchus and Carcharodontosaurus all spoil these figures for me, and these were the ones that interested me most!  The two I was less interested in, the Iguanodon and Masiakasaurus came out very well though!

I'm also disappointed by how all of these new Safari figures except for the Masiakasaurus have similar colour schemes.  They're still all great figures.  I'm just disappointed by what I mentioned, and that Wild Safari figures are in many different scales.

amargasaurus cazaui

Trying to decide which of Doug's sculpts to work with this year...none present themselves as easy targets for my autgraph collection, and I have to buy a  model and decide I like it before I order copies for repaints so.....I generally do not collect theropods, and I am not much of a mammal collector . I selected the Pleisosuchus just because my collection is lacking in that area mostly...I of course nabbed the Shunosaurus as I am a sauropod collector and I decided to try out the masiakasaurus just well..cause I did.
   I found that I really like the Pleisosuchus and will likely grab a pair of them for repaint work. I kept looking at the pictures of the Pleisosuchus and thinking it looked somehow off, but when it got here, I was quite happy with it and in person it looks great. Not sure what I was seeing ..perhaps the way the angle of the picture made the legs look.The shunosaurus is a nice model and went straight to my sauropod shelf...(people take note, cause we seldom get chinese sauropods for our collections) I found myself quite pleased with the Masiakasaurus as well....nice sculpt, low key paint work, just a nice figure to have.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 07, 2016, 04:23:31 PM
Trying to decide which of Doug's sculpts to work with this year...none present themselves as easy targets for my autgraph collection,....

Well I did consult Adam on the Plesiosuchus so he should work for you.

amargasaurus cazaui

aha, now thats an idea...I may need a few of those little guys!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

I pass a dedicated link Masiakasaurus, images are blurred, but it is perhaps one of my favorite figures from this factory:

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RUOV1rf8Qs#t=45.179

PaleoMatt

Hey, I know Cody the Tyrant King!

alexeratops

A little off topic, but don't you think Safari could make a great Phesphoderma or Henodus? We don't have enough turtles.
like a bantha!

Halichoeres

Quote from: alexeratops on February 02, 2016, 12:20:30 AM
A little off topic, but don't you think Safari could make a great Phesphoderma or Henodus? We don't have enough turtles.

I'm actually really fond of the little Henodus they made for the prehistoric sea life toob. But I'd love to see a Phesphoderma, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Just so we're all aware, Henodus was not a turtle. Far from it in fact, actually more closely related to plesiosaurs than turtles. But agree, the Safari toob figure is very nice. It along with the Nothosaurus alone make the toob worth buying. A larger Nothosaurus would be nice. In fact, it was also related to Henodus (all of them belong to Sauropterygia).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on February 02, 2016, 03:30:07 AM
Just so we're all aware, Henodus was not a turtle. Far from it in fact, actually more closely related to plesiosaurs than turtles. But agree, the Safari toob figure is very nice. It along with the Nothosaurus alone make the toob worth buying. A larger Nothosaurus would be nice. In fact, it was also related to Henodus (all of them belong to Sauropterygia).

been wanting a larger Nothosaurus for awhile.

Halichoeres

Quite so! Olivier Rieppel's hypothesis that sauropterygians are archosaurs and that turtles evolved from within them is intriguing, and it would make Henodus a "stem turtle," but definitely no more turtle than Nothosaurus would be. I basically want all the weird marine Triassic things as figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

alexeratops

Sorry, I uh- I knew that.  ;) I looked it up- I found Henodus being classified as a placodont.
like a bantha!

CMIPalaeo

Acquired Amebelodon yesterday, Shunosaurus and Iguanodon today... They're all lovely. Beautifully done. I remember seeing the Amebelodon figure when it was released several years ago, it's basically the same but the details are crisper and the paint job a bit nicer, and a darker more realistic shade of grey. I may go for the Carcharodontosaurus at some point.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Dinoguy2

Edit: n/m!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Everything_Dinosaur

The new for 2016 prehistoric animal models from Safari Ltd are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur.  The new models include the re-issue of Amebelodon, the Giant Ground Sloth and the Woolly Baby Mammoth.  In addition, the new Wild Safari Prehistoric World Iguanodon, Masiakasaurus, Shunosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus are now in stock.  Search through this part of our website (see link).

To view the range from Everything Dinosaur: Wild Safari Prehistoric World and Carnegie Collectibles etc:

Roselaar

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on February 27, 2016, 02:39:57 PM
The new for 2016 prehistoric animal models from Safari Ltd are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur.  The new models include the re-issue of Amebelodon, the Giant Ground Sloth and the Woolly Baby Mammoth.  In addition, the new Wild Safari Prehistoric World Iguanodon, Masiakasaurus, Shunosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus are now in stock.  Search through this part of our website (see link).

To view the range from Everything Dinosaur: Wild Safari Prehistoric World and Carnegie Collectibles etc:

Nice! I'll just wait a bit longer for the first Papo 2016 figures to appear in stock, and then I'll be sure to place a decently sized order. :)

Shonisaurus

I just got my new order a catalog Safari 2016 and I have to report that the toob Cambrian and tube prehistoric crocodiles have been discontinued this year. No longer will do.

I mention this so that those who do not have those figures and are interested in them shop at their online stores.

I do not know if this had been discussed earlier in the foru

terrorchicken

I have the catalog but hadnt noticed they were discontinued. Hopefully we'll get two new replacement prehistoric themed tubes in the future.

ItsTwentyBelow

Went hunting yesterday and found all five new Safari prehistoric figures at a smaller local toy shop, as well as Doedicurus and Megatherium. I'm glad the Mega is available again; it's a nice, dynamic sculpt and I don't really know why I was never as interested before.

Was excited to say the least! Of course, they always look better in person. Picked up the Plesiosuchus and the Shunosaurus. I'll leave the others for a later date  ;)

Shunosaurus is by far my favorite, such an elegant and organic figure. Keep up the great work Mr. Watson!

SBell

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 28, 2016, 09:22:59 PM
I have the catalog but hadnt noticed they were discontinued. Hopefully we'll get two new replacement prehistoric themed tubes in the future.

Yeah, I never noticed that before either--too bad, even if not every figure was perfect (Desmatosuchus). But it means that there are no aetosaur figures again.

On the other hand, the Prehistoric Sharks are now available in toob or in bulk! So they must be doing okay.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: