News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2016, 08:27:02 PM
The Velociraptor is indeed one of the few post 2007 models that need a replacement.   

I seem to remember you saying there was one post-2007 Wild Safari dinosaur species you weren't going to add to your collection.  Since it seems absent from the photo in your signature, I guessed it was the Velociraptor because the WS figure is so incorrect.  Am I right in thinking that?

Takama

My signature is out of date. but yes the Velociraptor is the one i will not be getting unless they remake it.

Sim

I can relate to not wanting to get that Velociraptor!  I like the photo in your signature!  Will you update it with new releases?

Takama

I also got the Triceratops Suchomimus and Dilophosaurus as well as the Igunodon, Shunosaurus and Masikasaurus

All i need is the Cacaradontosaurus then im set.  i may update it when i decide to purchus that model

amargasaurus cazaui

My hopes are that he still manages to slip back and get Ken Carpenter on board and give us the Gargoyleosaurus , to follow up the Sauropelta
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: Kovu on May 04, 2016, 03:48:22 AM
I'd love Safari to a Saichania, a severely under represented species, but in all honesty, I'd really love to see Mr. Watson continue with his ceratopsians. I was a little sad we didn't get another this year, (that being said, the 2016 lineup is fantastic otherwise!) For the past few years, its almost become a hallmark of Safari, and I was enjoying building a nice conga of Safari Ceratopsians. Wouldn't an Einiosaurus, Centrosaurus, Rubeosaurus, Kosmoceratops and Coahuilaceratops by Mr. Watson be so cool? As long as the other figures are unique, I really wouldn't have a problem with one of the six species consistently being a ceratopsian.

I don't think enough is known of Coahuilaceratops for it to be a better choice than a species known from better remains.  I don't know if the number of new prehistoric Wild Safari figures released per year has ever been six.  I looked back until I reached a year that had at least six new figures and this is what I found:

2016  (5): Carcharodontosaurus, Iguanodon, Masiakasaurus, Plesiosuchus, Shunosaurus
2015  (4): Archaeopteryx, Nasutoceratops, Sauropelta, Yutyrannus
2014  (5): Ammonite, Megalodon, Monolophosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Suchomimus
2013  (5): Diabloceratops, Dimorphodon, Elasmosaurus, Gastornis, Gryposaurus
2012  (4): Acrocanthosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Dracorex, Vagaceratops
2011  (5): Edmontosaurus, Guanlong, Inostrancevia, Kaprosuchus, Tyrannosaurus
2010  (7): Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Coelacanth, Kentrosaurus, Liopleurodon, Mosasaurus, Rhamphorhynchus

suspsy

I think Einiosaurus and Centrosaurus deserve toys above all other ceratopsians. They're both very well known, especially the latter, they're both very unique, cool-looking animals, and off the top of my head, I don't know of any existing toys of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2016, 01:58:21 PM
I think Einiosaurus and Centrosaurus deserve toys above all other ceratopsians. They're both very well known, especially the latter, they're both very unique, cool-looking animals, and off the top of my head, I don't know of any existing toys of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Einiosaurus was done in the Dinosaur Train line. A little cartoonish around the eyes, and in the colouring, but overall not a terrible representation...!

terrorchicken

I would like a new chasmosaurus myself...

Kovu

Quote from: Sim on May 05, 2016, 01:44:29 PM
I don't think enough is known of Coahuilaceratops for it to be a better choice than a species known from better remains.

You're right. Honestly, I was just listing the first few names that came to mind. A nice Chasmosaurus, however, is long over due. Anchiceratops too.
A Sinoceratops would be interesting, but again, probably too fragmentary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its only known from a few skull fragments, right?

amargasaurus cazaui

Sinoceratops is known from three specimens, which basically amount to the upper front of the skull and braincase, with all three considered.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

LOL, should we just give in and start the "2017 Hopes & Dreams" board already?

I second Einiosaurus & Centrosaurus. I agree Chasmosaurus deserves a model too (preferably with fancy "eyespots" on the frill), but considering Vagaceratops was once considered a species of Chasmosaurus, I don't think it's likely anytime soon. We also need more lambeosaurine hadrosaurs.

Sim

Quote from: SBell on May 05, 2016, 04:00:53 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2016, 01:58:21 PM

Einiosaurus was done in the Dinosaur Train line. A little cartoonish around the eyes, and in the colouring, but overall not a terrible representation...!

Centrosaurus has been done at least once, by Kabaya: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_011108b.htm  It's also available in another colour scheme (Reply #7084): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg126664#msg126664

Daspletodave

I'd be happy to see Einiosaurus, Centrosaurus, or Chasmosaurus. Anchiceratops or Arrhinoceratops would be nice too, but a long shot.

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 05, 2016, 07:47:43 AM
My hopes are that he still manages to slip back and get Ken Carpenter on board and give us the Gargoyleosaurus , to follow up the Sauropelta

Gargoyleosaurus would be really great!  It's very interesting, and how often do you see a Jurassic ankylosaur?  I think it's never been made into a toy.

I would also really like at least one ankylosaurid from the Wild Safari line - it currently has no members of this family (Sauropelta is a nodosaurid).  Pinacosaurus and Saichania are both known from very good fossil remains and I think they would be exciting additions to the Wild Safari line.  Pinacosaurus is actually the best known ankylosaur from fossils and yet the only toys representing it are obscure and look like generic ankylosaurs e.g.: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg122471#msg122471  I think I would be disappointed if Wild Safari's first ankylosaurid is Ankylosaurus.  Ankylosaurus is the ankylosaur made into a toy most often, but its appearance is rather incompletely known.  I think there are some nice toys of it too, like from Carnegie and Favorite.  I'd prefer an ankylosaurid who's appearance is better known and that hasn't got an adequate toy version.

Takama

Kovu

To the untrained eye though, would a Scolosaurus appear any different from a Euoplocephalus?
Just curious?

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Kovu on May 07, 2016, 09:13:33 PM
To the untrained eye though, would a Scolosaurus appear any different from a Euoplocephalus?
Just curious?

Given that most Euoplocephalus reconstructions are based on Scolosaurus, no.

Takama

But none of those toys are named correctly.  I want a toy that's actually labeled scolosaurus

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 07, 2016, 09:28:31 PM
Quote from: Kovu on May 07, 2016, 09:13:33 PM
Just curious?

Given that most Euoplocephalus reconstructions are based on Scolosaurus, no.

Yeah, bit too easy for people to get excited about new taxonomy instead of new animals. Scolosaurus is the same old dinosaur we've been seeing for years, just with a name change. What would be cool would be an actual Euoplocephalus figure! 100% of "Euoplocephalus" toys are Scolosaurus or chimeras.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: