You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Researchers claim a third of dinosaurs might never have existed

Started by sauroid, October 22, 2015, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

A new ten-year study by US paleontologists suggests that up to a third of dinosaur fossils may have been incorrectly identified as new species, when they are actually juveniles of species in which there was a dramatic change as they developed.

http://phys.org/news/2009-10-dinosaurs.html#nRlv
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Uh, have you looked at the date? That is from 2009.

Of course it would be interesting to see which Dinosaurs were actually different species despite having identical skeletons, with the sof parts making the difference, like in case of lions and tigers.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Kovu

Wow! Super interesting!
I have always thought dinosaur genera and species were far too split. If they were extant animals, they would probably be far more lumped.
Just look at modern examples. Genus Crocodylus has 13 species, many of them different morphologically from each other. If future paleontologists discovered 13 different skeletons from all over the globe, there would very likely be multiple genera instead of the one. Genus Gazella is another example.
And even within species, in addition to changes between developmental stages, there's also sexual dimorphism, individual variation, etc. For example, the two Chasmosaurus species. How do we know belli and russelli aren't just differences in male/female morphology. Not that I'm necessarily arguing they are, I'm just using them as an example.
Obviously more research needs to go into this, and a third of all dinosaurs does seem a bit... extreme, but I do agree that dinosaurs are severely split.

sauroid

so what if it's from 2009? the topic is still relevant...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Another issue with extinct animals is that we tend to use genus names as their common names (with a select few exceptions), so it's genuinely easier for everyone when animals that probably could just be different species are given different genus. I can't even count how many times I've had to explain that the two Parasaurolophus species aren't gender dimorphism, if they had different genus people wouldn't make that mistake.

sauroid

i suppose there's a minority of palaeontologists who are so eager to name newly found fossils as new species

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on October 22, 2015, 03:26:41 PM
i suppose there's a minority of palaeontologists who are so eager to name newly found fossils as new species

Not so sure it's a minority :)

Dinosaurs are probably way oversplit both on ontogenetic and sex lines, but it's just so damned hard to demonstrate that two different morphs pertain to the same population based on just bones.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.