News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on December 24, 2012, 12:51:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments! 

Yeah next I might do a pink pterosaur...  :P

lol ;D

Gryphoceratops

Balaur

Gryphoceratops

Decided to take a crack at that newly discovered Eosinopteryx critter. 

Patrx

Well done! I like the detail of the dropped feather on the ground :) Man, Eosinopteryx is one wacky-looking troodont. No sickle-claw? No vaned tail feathers?

ZoPteryx

Wow!  Excellent work, I think that's one of my favorites! :o

One question, I can't seem to find out if this species' inner toe was hyperextendable.  It's classified as a troodont, so I'd expect one, but all the reconstructions I've seen (well, yours and one other) don't have one.  I was just wondering if you knew for certain. :)

Quote from: Patrx on January 24, 2013, 04:35:59 AM
Well done! I like the detail of the dropped feather on the ground :) Man, Eosinopteryx is one wacky-looking troodont. No sickle-claw? No vaned tail feathers?
Makes me wonder if its actually more basal than deinonychosaurs.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys.  The source I read said one of its unique characteristics was a lack of the switchblade claw.  The photograph of the fossil itself doesn't seem to have one either.  Julius Cstonyi just posted his rendition on facebook a few minutes ago and his too is lacking the claw. 

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on January 24, 2013, 05:09:33 AM
Thanks guys.  The source I read said one of its unique characteristics was a lack of the switchblade claw.  The photograph of the fossil itself doesn't seem to have one either.  Julius Cstonyi just posted his rendition on facebook a few minutes ago and his too is lacking the claw.
Cool! :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Others have spoken to the detail and accuracy..I like how cute and fuzzy it looks as well.. ;D

Gryphoceratops

Thanks all!  I like the way the little guy turned out.  Looked at a lot of birds for ideas on colors/patterns. 

Here are some new ones that went along with my latest blog post about crazy scientific names.  (shameless promotion!)  http://jerseyboyhuntsdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/01/dinosaur-names-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Dracorex

Mastodon

And a group shot of the more recently discovered ceratopsids with cool names like Medusaceratops, Diabloceratops, Kosmoceratops and Mojoceratops.  This could also be considered the part 2 image to that first ceratopsid family portrait I did back in 2011.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the Dracorex..working on one myself..but I went a little more extreme with the horns..lol

The ceratopsian collage looks awesome..I love all the different colors !

ZoPteryx

Amazing work on these, I really like the ceratopsian collage! :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone.  In the spirit of Valentines Day here is a painting I did of a protoceratops pair getting it on.   

And a megalodon for which I used a great white shark for reference. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Takama

Protoceratops

Your handling of watercolour is great - always wonder how you get the "outlines" of the colours so neat on the dinosaurs - them never bleeding into the background...lots of masking tape or fluid or just a steady patient hand?
Particularly like your latest Protoceratops painting - especially the detail of the male grabbing the females crest!

Gryphoceratops

Thank you all.  Protoceratops, I just paint the lightest things first and let them dry.  Once dry I can paint something next to it or right over it bleed free!  And yes I was hoping the crest grab was noticeable enough.  Got that from modern lizard mating. 

Gryphoceratops

New ones. 

Saurophaganax requested by Takama for my site's dinosaur of the week this week

Confuciusornis pair

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: