News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

I really love the quick pieces too.

Meso-Cenozoic

I want a Chasmo figure like that!

Nice new works, Chris. I'm also liking these rough, quicker pieces. Very organic.

Hey, when you're T-shirt is ready, I'd love one!

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys!  Here is a new one that I actually was doing over the course of the last week or so.  Plateosaurus males fighting for mating rights.  Before enyone tries to flex their intellectual muscles by calling out the female on all fours in the back let it be known they COULD rest like that (there are tracks to prove it).  Note she is not walking.  She is just resting in one space.  Thank you.  :P

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 29, 2012, 12:40:09 AM
Thanks guys!  Here is a new one that I actually was doing over the course of the last week or so.  Plateosaurus males fighting for mating rights.  Before enyone tries to flex their intellectual muscles by calling out the female on all fours in the back let it be known they COULD rest like that (there are tracks to prove it).  Note she is not walking.  She is just resting in one space.  Thank you.  :P

I really like this painting. I think it is VERY cool and very realistic. I like the megalosaurus and chasmosaurus too.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Horridus

I showed this to Heinrich Mallison on Twitter, and he said that there wasn't much to criticise, but there are too-pronated forearms in evidence and the posterior margin of the thigh is wrong; there isn't enough evidence of the caudofemoralis longus muscle, which was pretty huge in Plateosaurus. (He linked me to http://dinosaurpalaeo.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/its-time-for-more-plateosaurus/)

Direct quote: "Hands more medially directed, a somewhat fatter tail base that merges a bit more into the thigh."

Remember now: don't shoot the messenger. ;D I thought you might appreciate some feedback from THE authority on Plateosaurus though.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Arioch

Despite those inaccuracies is a very accomplished piece and I agree with Yutyrannus, very lifelike.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys.  Yeah when I was doing this I intended the hands to be in the right position but maybe it just didn't translate as well as I thought.  I didn't know about the tail though. 

Horridus

Well I'm glad you didn't mind me showing Heinrich. I did feel a bit bad about not asking...after I'd done it, of course.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gryphoceratops

Its cool I actually think its good that you did. 

Gryphoceratops

Another speed painting (I timed myself this time it took about 2 hours start to finish woot!) Stegosaurus to be used by njdino.com  I know the green and red color scheme is overdone but I just couldn't resist.   :-[

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome ! Christmas Stegos are a great color choice ! ;D

Himmapaan

I thought it was red and yellow that got replicated a lot for stegosaur colours?

In any case, beautiful work. And apparently accomplished at lightning speed!

ZoPteryx

Wow, very nice!  I like the original pose too, looks very natural.

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone.  I'm pleased with how the steg came out. 

Speedpaint of Acrocanthosaurus for NJDINO.com

Pachyrhinosaurus river crossing also for njdino.com

Himmapaan

ingenia

The Pachyrhinosaurus looks great, the color scheme for the Stego is just what fits this animal the most, traditional and nice!

Weaver

The Pachyrhinosaurus in the water is just... fantastic. I love that you defined the edge of the water with white and blue. :D Good call on that. You are so quick Gryph! I can't wait to see more!

Arioch

Great, specially the last one. I really admire your productivity. How much time did the Pachy take?

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everyone.   ^-^

The Pachyrhinosaurus I think probably took me a total of about 4-5 hours.  I worked on it in time chunks over 3 days. 

Gryphoceratops

More speed paintings. 

Elk-Moose from the Plestiocene. 

Tyrannosaurus pair

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: