News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Irimali's Dioramas

Started by irimali, November 01, 2015, 08:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irimali

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 12, 2018, 08:01:41 PM
One thing is certain... any of your dioramas would be a center piece in any collection.

Do I see that correctly... those pterosaur wings are not just paper/whatever but actually got wire (?) for arms and digits in them?

Thank you! 

The pterosaur wings are mostly just paper.  The arms and wing fingers are just lines of gesso I piped on (using a parchment paper cone and icing tip for cake decorating).  i didn't even make the 3 smaller fingers since the pterosaurs are so tiny.  They're both about 2" wingspans.  I think if I remade them  today I'd try to get some more detail in though.

irimali

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 12, 2018, 12:53:53 PM
This is just too beautiful.

I'm not a fan of the blue(?) on the pterosaurs, and yet they work nicely in the diorama and brings life and movement to the muted earth colors.

And those plants.... oh... those plants...... how???

Thank you.  It's been a while since I made them but I think the pterosaur coloration was inspired by bee eaters.  Although the birds I was looking at had a yellow/orange body with blue wingtips and I reversed that so they wouldn't look exactly the same.  Bee eaters live in the savannah and catch flying insects, so they seemed like a decent model for a small pterosaur color scheme.

The plants, well, I really need to make some tutorial videos.  Not hard to do but hard to explain. 

irimali

A few close ups of the Dryosaurus.  This one is hard to photograph with the high contrast color scheme.  The idea for that came mostly from a Spanish Ibex.  I wanted a pattern that would break up the outline in an open, rocky area.

Jose S.M.

That Dryosaurus is really cute and very elegant at the same time.

tyrantqueen

Fantastic dioramas.

I really like the Plateosaurus, it looks like something John Conway would paint.

Halichoeres

Quote from: irimali on February 13, 2018, 04:09:05 AM

The plants, well, I really need to make some tutorial videos.  Not hard to do but hard to explain.

Yes, please!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

irimali

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 13, 2018, 09:07:48 AM
Fantastic dioramas.

I really like the Plateosaurus, it looks like something John Conway would paint.

Thank you!  I just recently got a copy of All Yesterdays.  I really like his fat parasaurolophus.  Been trying to bulk out my dinosaurs too.[quote

author=Jose_S.M. link=topic=4028.msg194331#msg194331 date=1518496115]
That Dryosaurus is really cute and very elegant at the same time.
[/quote]

Thanks!  I think the legs might be a tad too long but otherwise I'm happy with it.

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 13, 2018, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: irimali on February 13, 2018, 04:09:05 AM

Yes, please!

I've got a few ideas for new dioramas to do this year, so I'll have to see what I can do.  The hard part is going to be filming my own hands doing little detail work.  If I can't get that to work then maybe step-by-step photos.

irimali

My first totally new diorama for this year.  Deinonychus, perched on top of the tree fern Tempskya above a patch of horsetails and a few Liriophyllum saplings.

Jose S.M.

It looks amazing. I like the details on the feathers and colors of the wings. The scenery is great as usual!

irimali

Close-ups:

Close-up on the plants.  The gold colored fertile leaves on the Tempskya are speculative, but some modern ferns thought to be close relatives have non-photosynthetic fertile leaves so it's definitely plausible.  It had a prettier crown at first, but sadly I had smoosh down the leaves on top and bend/break a few off in back so it looked like Deinonychus had done a little damage climbing up.

And finally, here it is in its glass case.  So much easier to photograph with a removable cover!  Wish containers like this were easier to come by.

spinosaurus1

that is gorgeous! did you sculpt that deinonychus? incredible work

Fenestra

That is sooo pretty!
I'm very impressed with your skills.

ITdactyl

Wowowow!!!
This is just my inspiration, and the level I wish to bring my own dioramas to.

Composition... color choice.... aaaaauuuggghhhh.....

And those plants.... oh, those plants....

*ehem* please excuse the fanboying of this old man....

Lanthanotus

I dare say you surpassed yourself with this piece of work! I bet a lot of collectors would like to buy sculptures made by you (I definetly would), but I can't imagine a prize tag for such an ammount of work and dedication.

Mackeral

ceratopsian

Your talent leaves me almost without words.  First I admired the Dryosaurus in its diorama - then I came down to the Deinonychus.  It's superb.  Those amazing plants lead the eye upwards to the climax of the Deinonychus.  It must look stunning under its glass dome in your home.  Like Lanthanotus, I would be queuing to buy one of your sculptures.

The aquarium and glass domes remind me of when I was a child and used to visit the museum at Wollaton Hall in Nottingham, where I would admire the stuffed birds displayed in "aquaria" in natural habitat constructed settings.  Your creatures look so real.

Bokisaurus

Once again, beautiful and very impressive work! Wow, I hav't even seen museum diorama as good as yours. Truly one of a kind collection!
I can't wait to see what you do next.

Patrx

Oh, wow! That is a thing of beauty. Great work!

Reptilia

That Deinonychus is real, just like if dinosaurs were alive now and someone (you) made a model of a living animal.

Libraraptor

Excellent.  Amazing. Beautiful. What a gorgeous interpretation of a Deinonychus!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: