News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Their bases are looking better!  That is overall a nice piece!

postsaurischian

Another mammal for 2016:

CollectA 88767 - Thylacine

terrorchicken

^I love it,  though Im not crazy about Collecta's new trend of female animals in mid birth. Ick...

Edit: yeah I know technically the thylacine isnt giving birth & its just the baby hanging out of the pouch, but still...

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 15, 2015, 05:53:37 PM
^I love it,  though Im not crazy about Collecta's new trend of female animals in mid birth. Ick...

Edit: yeah I know technically the thylacine isnt giving birth & its just the baby hanging out of the pouch, but still...

Yeah, could they at least have made the head sticking out instead of the tail? The tail just looks... Freudian.

stargatedalek

But that wouldn't be accurate, since we do know what way it would be facing in the pouch.

suspsy

I'm just as excited for the thylacine as I am for the Andrewsarchus. I'd love for CollectA to make more recently extinct animals like the dodo, the quagga, and especially the Stellar's sea cow. I'd buy them all.

And I think it's a brilliant idea to have a female with young in her pouch. A great way to teach children that there are (or sadly in this case, were) other marsupials besides kangaroos and koalas.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM
Metriacanthosaurus

The Metriacanthosaurus pose reminds me of this allosaurus statue

DinoLord

The colouration is kind of similar too.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on December 15, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
I'm just as excited for the thylacine as I am for the Andrewsarchus. I'd love for CollectA to make more recently extinct animals like the dodo, the quagga, and especially the Stellar's sea cow. I'd buy them all.

And I think it's a brilliant idea to have a female with young in her pouch. A great way to teach children that there (or sadly in this case, were) other marsupials besides kangaroos and koalas.

We should also include the sadly defunct moa and moorei haspagornis.

I am also in favor of that recreated by Collecta is now the leading company in prehistoric mammals toy male and female of each species.

The breeding female with thylacinus is an original work.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 15, 2015, 08:22:25 PM
But that wouldn't be accurate, since we do know what way it would be facing in the pouch.

Here's a picture of a real thylacine with a baby in its pouch.
No parts are protruding from the pouch.

But of course I'll buy the CollectA one. I love thylacines.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

suspsy

So what if there's nothing protruding from the pouch in that photo? It hardly follows that a baby thylacine never ever stuck its tail out of its mother's pouch for an instant or two.

stargatedalek

I meant that in reply to the idea of it sticking its face out, since it would be facing forwards inside the pouch.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2015, 03:40:40 AM
I meant that in reply to the idea of it sticking its face out, since it would be facing forwards inside the pouch.

If you observe kangaroos for a little while, you'll see the young are constantly squirming and adjusting inside the pouch, especially larger young that are starting to outgrow it. Heads, arms, tail, legs could all be hanging out of there in pretty much any combination at any time, or be completely tucked inside.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on December 16, 2015, 12:59:41 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2015, 03:40:40 AM

If you observe kangaroos for a little while, you'll see the young are constantly squirming and adjusting inside the pouch, especially larger young that are starting to outgrow it. Heads, arms, tail, legs could all be hanging out of there in pretty much any combination at any time, or be completely tucked inside.

Indeed.

Perhaps CollectA was inspired by this painting:

Or by this figure:
http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t5025-the-abu-rai-female-thylacine-walkaround-by-kikimalou

Tyto_Theropod

Although there isn't really anything wrong with it, I can see why people are reacting like this. It does look a little 'body horror'. At least the model linked below looks calm about what would have been a normal fact of life for a Thylacine mother and not like she's screaming in agony as a xenomorph emerges from her pouch! I guess CollectA wanted to portray how wide these animals could open their mouths, but myself I'd have made two figures and saved that for the 'dad'.

That's just my opinion though. Anyway, thing is I can see why people find the whole thing a little off-putting, and myself I'm not tempted by this figure despite being a Thylacine fan.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shonisaurus

Indeed, it would be interesting to be drawn breeding of marsupial thylacine pouch.

Halichoeres

I think that thylacine is great; I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I collected Cenozoic stuff. I'm embarrassed to admit that when I first saw it, I thought, "could thylacines evert their epipubic bones like that?" It didn't occur to me that it was a baby's tail. I must say I commend CollectA for not sanitizing nature. Animals are kind of gross, especially mammals, up to and including humans. I think kids are more than capable of grappling with that fact.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

doesn't their new wombat figure also have a baby in pouch?

suspsy

Indeed it does. This baby is sticking out of the pouch head first, but that's understandable given that wombats don't have long tails.

https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/m/CollectA-Wombat-88756.html

Shonisaurus

Diving Internet have had access to the catalog Collecta 2016.

Here are the links:

http://www.collecta.biz/en/e-catalogue

http://www.collecta.biz/catalogue/files/assets/common/downloads/2016_Outer_Cover.pdf

Christmas Happy Holidays to all forum members.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: