You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dan's Dinosaurs [ DTF Exclusive Offers ]

Started by Dan, March 13, 2012, 10:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 25, 2014, 12:57:26 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 24, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
But BotM said Diablo was 216" long:

216" = 5.5 m
The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs p.258 says 4.5 m.
Who's right? Blade or Gregory?  ???

I looked it up online for my part.

QuoteDiabloceratops /daɪˌæbloʊˈsɛrətɒps/ [dee-ab-lo-ser-a-tops] is an extinct genus of centrosaurine ceratopsian dinosaur that lived approximately 79 million years ago during the latter part of the Cretaceous Period in what is now Utah, in the United States.[1] Diabloceratops was a medium sized, moderately-built, ground-dwelling, quadrupedal herbivore, that could grow up to an estimated 5.5 m (18.0 ft) long.[2] Diabloceratops is paleontologically significant because, at the time of its discovery, it was the oldest known ceratopsid, and first centrosaurine known from latitudes south of Montana.

tyrantqueen

Did you use Wikipedia? It's not particularly reliable..

postsaurischian

I've just read about it in the Glut encyclopedia, supplement 7 pp.334-336.
Diabloceratops is only known from two incomplete skulls (skull length estimated at 62 cm from rostrum to condyle).
In comparison with other centrosaurines I would say a total length of 450 cm is more likely than 550 cm.
But of course I do not know. Maybe it had a crocodile-like tail or something like that ;D.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 25, 2014, 01:14:03 AM
Did you use Wikipedia? It's not particularly reliable..

That quote was from Wiki, but I found other pages that said the same so figured it was pretty close to base my estimate on .

That might be a bigger specimen of course I don't think we know exactly how old the ones we have are.  I would consider a meter here or there to be possible. Not all dinosaurs had the same measurements of course..longer /shorter tails and necks...that sort of thing does happen.

Simon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2014, 01:02:15 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 25, 2014, 12:57:26 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 24, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
But BotM said Diablo was 216" long:

216" = 5.5 m
The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs p.258 says 4.5 m.
Who's right? Blade or Gregory?  ???

I looked it up online for my part.

QuoteDiabloceratops /daɪˌæbloʊˈsɛrətɒps/ [dee-ab-lo-ser-a-tops] is an extinct genus of centrosaurine ceratopsian dinosaur that lived approximately 79 million years ago during the latter part of the Cretaceous Period in what is now Utah, in the United States.[1] Diabloceratops was a medium sized, moderately-built, ground-dwelling, quadrupedal herbivore, that could grow up to an estimated 5.5 m (18.0 ft) long.[2] Diabloceratops is paleontologically significant because, at the time of its discovery, it was the oldest known ceratopsid, and first centrosaurine known from latitudes south of Montana.

216" x 2.5 cm = 540cm /100 = 5.4 m

postsaurischian

Quote from: Simon on February 25, 2014, 04:31:58 AM

Sorry Simon, but when you're getting nit-picky the correct calculation must be: 216" x 2.54 = 548.64 cm = 5.49 m (which is about 5.5 m ::)).

tyrantqueen

(Perhaps this should be split off into its own thread, about dinosaur scale or something of that nature) :)

So, I should avoid Wikipedia for estimates in future, and rely on those given by paleontologists instead?

Simon

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 25, 2014, 09:41:31 AM
Quote from: Simon on February 25, 2014, 04:31:58 AM

Sorry Simon, but when you're getting nit-picky the correct calculation must be: 216" x 2.54 = 548.64 cm = 5.49 m (which is about 5.5 m ::)).

Hot dog!  Really?  Well I just learned something new!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 25, 2014, 11:56:37 AM
(Perhaps this should be split off into its own thread, about dinosaur scale or something of that nature) :)

So, I should avoid Wikipedia for estimates in future, and rely on those given by paleontologists instead?

I'd trust Scott Hartman but he hasn't done one for this species yet.

tyrantqueen

Kinda off topic, but am I the only one who wonders what Dan's personal collection must be like (or if he even has one)?

I bet it looks something like this:

;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I assure you Dan has one..and some nice gems in it as well.. ;)

Dan

Replace the mountains of gold coins with mountains of styrofoam packing peanuts, and you're spot on.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Dan on February 27, 2014, 12:26:51 AM
Replace the mountains of gold coins with mountains of styrofoam packing peanuts, and you're spot on.

Oh goodie!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Dan

Blade-of-the-Moon

I swear Dan you'll have a monopoly on pieces I'm desperate to get eventually.. darn shame I'm so broke !

Dan

Blade-of-the-Moon

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Dan

Now in Stock

Deep Sea Creatures Toob by Safari

Wave I New 2014 Lineup by CollectA

Protochirotherium by Bullyland

Triceratops by Lu Feng Shan

View all new releases here:
http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/new-releases/

----------------------------

Trivia

First correct answer gets a free Safari Ltd. tote bag with next figure purchase (One answer per member).

What is the all-time bestselling CollectA figure in Dan's Dinosaurs?

A.) Therizinosaurus
B.) Carcharodontosaurus Deluxe
C.) Tyrannosaurus Deluxe
D.) Triceratops Carcass
E.) Liopleurodon

Answers may be submitted as responses to this thread. Please do not quote this post when responding. Good luck!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: