News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Price of Rare Figures on the Web

Started by RobinGoodfellow, December 12, 2015, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 05, 2018, 09:45:22 AM
Well, I do believe it, as I wrote before, and I see you did it again with the Battat Ouranosaurus :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battat-Boston-Museum-Science-dinosaur-model-Ouranosaurus-/112733759890

That's NOT a Battat Ouranosaurus but Maiasaura.
The seller did a big mistake about the title of the auction..

BrontoScorpio

Yes, you are write -
I just copy-pasted - even not bothered to read what is said -
as it was so obvious ...

Shonisaurus

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 05, 2018, 09:45:22 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 04, 2018, 07:20:58 PM
Well, even if you do not believe it, I was the one who won the Battat triceratops bid. I needed it...
I honestly offered in the bid an exorbitant money, that is to say a wild price in such a way that could assure me this figure, for me it was very important

Well, I do believe it, as I wrote before, and I see you did it again with the Battat Ouranosaurus :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battat-Boston-Museum-Science-dinosaur-model-Ouranosaurus-/112733759890
Good thing I got my Battat Original Acrocanthosaurus ( which was always considered to be the most pricy, after the Battat Diplodocus ) before you got in to business -
since I wouldn't have stand the chance against you ... :)

Just a word of a friendly advice :
I don't know how old are you, but, You realy need to think what makes you NEED it right now so much, that you :
1. willing to pay this kind of money.
2. Act in a way that clearly inflates the amount you will going to end up paying
(I'm talking about making an outrageous Initial bid ).

If you are just a  bored Milioner -  I take it back all I said - do what ever you feel like to ... :)

Dear BrontoScorpio you are very right, I am spending a lot of money on eBay bids and of course I am also interested in the maiasaura but I will be honest, I make a war economy, as I already told you, you do not spend practically anything after the month , my obsession with the collection of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals is very pronounced (I even admit almost sickly). I sincerely prefer not to spend more on those figures of Battat or Play Visions that are at wild prices on eBay through bids and wait until some member of the forum is interested in selling me one of the figures I'm interested in or wait for that on eBay are sold at more affordable fixed prices without bids

I have to admit that I have a lot of money saved as a result of my work as a librarian and that is why I can afford these luxuries. But still I should not play with things to eat as they say in my nation.

BrontoScorpio

Jurassic Park The Lost World Thrasher T-Tex for 600$ ?!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332506082212?_trksid=p2471758.m4704
what the heck ?
could someone explain to me why they are paying so much for a plastic figure that looks like a 3 years old's Toy ?
I don't even think I would ever let it into my collection ...

sauroid

"one man's trash is another man's treasure" i guess...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 11, 2018, 04:02:56 PM
Jurassic Park The Lost World Thrasher T-Tex for 600$ ?!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332506082212?_trksid=p2471758.m4704
what the heck ?
could someone explain to me why they are paying so much for a plastic figure that looks like a 3 years old's Toy ?
I don't even think I would ever let it into my collection ...

*Chuckle*

OK, I'll try (having at one time owned every single one of the JP and JP2 toys I am quite familiar with them).

1. The figure is "Mint In The Box" (MIB).  While I never cared about boxes, serious collectors highly prize having unopened figures in their collection.  That is the #1 reason why this one went so (insanely) high.  MIB Thrashers are VERY hard to come by 21 years after the release of the toy.

2. Kenner Jurassic Park Toys are a  VERY collectible series of toys.  I remember when the smallish JP 1993 plastic green Baryonyx figure went for $600 on ebay in 2001 or so.

3. Well, this is not a reason for the insane price, but - this is a REALLY AWESOME toy.  Its about 28" long, made of soft rubber over a hard skeleton, very poseable, and when you move the tail side to side it makes the head move side to side (hence the "Thrasher" nickname).  MIB it also comes with all of the "restraint gear", which is VERY hard to find otherwise.

So ... I hope I answered your question. Rest assured that I agree with your view of the price of this particular auction as being ridiculous, but if someone's got the $$$, and this is one of the last MIB JP toys they need to complete their collection, who are we to tell them how to spend their $$$?

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 max for a good condition Thrasher.  Oh and another thing - from your comment I am surmising that you've never actually had one of these "in-hand".  I can vouch that this toy is THE MOST ACCURATE TRex action figure toy that any company has ever produced.  Or will probably ever produce.  Its awesome - especially for a child to play with.  Simply AWESOME.  ;D ;D ;D

(But NOT "$600 Awesome".)  ;)

RobinGoodfellow

For sure I'm not a JP collector at all but I have the "Thrasher".
It isn't a 600USD valued figure but it's quite a remarkable model for an action-figure toy and I like it so much.. it's very well sculpted  8)

CityRaptor

I agree with the previous two posters. Also check out the DTB review of the figure:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/12/25/thrasher-tyrannosaurus-rex-the-lost-world-by-kenner/

Now, if you want to see something truely extreme, check this out:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/263389566516?clk_rvr_id=1413780007375&rmvSB=true
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 11, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
... it's quite a remarkable model for an action-figure toy and I like it so much.. it's very well sculpted  8)
Yes, but, as long those are just 'action-figures' - I thought mainly kids will take interest -
and most kids haven't got that king of money ...

I don't want it to sounds like I treat Action figures as 'off limit' -
I can appreciate a good action figure  that is well made :
got myself some JP III Spino. ,Trike, Dilo. , The JP Showdown Allo and Pachy. , some chap-mei and, of course the Resaurus-Carnage line ...
And that is why I'm amazed - by browsing the web I think the 'Resaurus-Carnage' are much rarer then the Thrasher T-rex -
but they never get to three figures $$$

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 11, 2018, 06:43:21 PM

Thanks for the DTB review link.
As for the auction - It can't be anything other than a mistake ... :)

CityRaptor

You are welcome.

The auction could be the result of manipulation or something else.

As for why the Thrasher fetches more than a Resaurus? Well, Jurassic Park is well known, and even people who might not collect Dinosaurs otherwise might collect it, but Resaurus is more something known among Dinosaur collectors.
Oh no

terrorchicken

I used to have it. I sold it a few years ago but sometimes I wish I still had it. It was such a cool JP figure, probably the best T-Rex they ever made.

Joey

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 11, 2018, 06:43:21 PM
I agree with the previous two posters. Also check out the DTB review of the figure:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/12/25/thrasher-tyrannosaurus-rex-the-lost-world-by-kenner/

And someone actually paid for that! That's it... (flips table)

Flaffy

The Kenner Thrasher rex is definitely one of the figures on the very top of my wish list. I've never had the chance to acquire one when it was released (wasn't born yet), but it is definitely one of the best Jurassic Park toys out there. Hope some day I can find a good deal for one, but that doesn't seem likely since JWFK is coming, JP toy prices are just going to inflate...

PhilSauria

In hindsight I'm pleased that I hung onto the big red rex that was issued at the time of the first JP, which I bought at the time (yes, I'm that old) as it does not seem to be listed that often and is usually pricey. Not that I'd sell mine, as I said elsewhere; I'm a collector not a dealer. And I know I could buy more figures with what I'd be likely to get for it, even without the box, but it's been with me for years and I'm quite fond of the big rubbery guy - who still stands on his own! He's surrounded by a lot of other figures these days but still stands head and shoulder above most of them. Also picked up the Raptor and Dilophosaur at the time, though they don't seem to command quite as high a price on the listings. I don't recall seeing a lot of the other march mentioned here, maybe a lot of it did not make its way out to Australia.

CityRaptor

Oh no

RobinGoodfellow

Today a very hard-to-find complete (and boxed) set of 3 "The Dawn of The Dinosaurs" figures (Saurosuchus, Exaeretodon, Frenguellisaurus) was sold on Yahoo Auctions Japan for 28.610Y + shipping (more or less 264 USD).
These figures are extremely rare; I tried to bid but, honestly, 264$ is way too much (I could buy a Martin Garratt finished figure for that amount of cash...  ::) ).

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r228220212

The set looks like that:

(picture credit @ postsaurischian)

:)

BrontoScorpio

Not to mention PAYPAL Money trnsf. fees, Conversion fees and shipping within Japan fees -
That could get you to 300$ easily, even before International shipping.

I wonder who the winner is - someone here on DTF :
"Let the winner of the Auction come forth - and justice be done upon him!"  ... >:D >:D >:D

ceratopsian

I'm amused to find that you calculate eBay offerings in terms of finished Martin Garratt figures.  I do the same!  And I agree with you, the auction price was too much.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2018, 01:42:54 PM
Today a very hard-to-find complete (and boxed) set of 3 "The Dawn of The Dinosaurs" figures (Saurosuchus, Exaeretodon, Frenguellisaurus) was sold on Yahoo Auctions Japan for 28.610Y + shipping (more or less 264 USD).
These figures are extremely rare; I tried to bid but, honestly, 264$ is way too much (I could buy a Martin Garratt finished figure for that amount of cash...  ::) ).

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r228220212

terrorchicken

I didn't know they had a version of Yahoo Auction Japan for English reading customers, cool!

what is that purple thing supposed to be? it doesn't look like a real animal ???

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: