News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Price of Rare Figures on the Web

Started by RobinGoodfellow, December 12, 2015, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 10, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
Excuse me, I've said more than that in good faith. I think I deleted the data already. I'm really sorry. Unfortunately I caused problems the forum will not happen again.

The fact is that as I saw the announcement and I know what I went to publish it, but it has been an absolute recklessness. If the administrator of the forum or a member of the forum see that I have not erased some data compromisingor I beg you to let me know. What I said, I'm very sorry and I ask a thousand pardons.

No need to apologise- people were just worried about your personal data getting out. It was a little reckless but we all make mistakes :)

No-one was harmed in the long run.

Shonisaurus

Thank you for your tyrantqueen words.

I must be more cautious and careful. Personal data should not be aired in public as I have done.  :-X

terrorchicken

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 10, 2017, 12:11:32 PM
The 2nd version, the one with the snowshoes, was created because the v1 (shown in the auction) had issues standing up. I assume the v2 still had issues, so the v3 was created (and from that we get the reissue).

oh boy, I have v2 and it sure has issues, aside from the fact it will always fall, the snowshoes look HIDEOUS!  But I guess I cant complain,  considering how rare the first version is,  and it is a nice sculpt.

RobinGoodfellow

..sorry for a brief off-topic: is this Battat V1 or V3 ?
I think V3 (1994) but I'm not sure.

tyrantqueen

Doug Watson

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 11, 2017, 12:38:22 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 11, 2017, 12:17:48 PM
That is an original release V3.

Thank you for the info  :)

The only caveat I would add for anyone looking to spend good money for a V3 on eBay or elsewhere is ask the seller to provide a shot of the company stamping. Since the new Terra version is identical one could be painted to pass for a V3. My original V3 has " C (for copyright) 1994 Museum of Science Boston, Tyrannosaurus rex, Battat Inc."
Dan told me all the reissues would have new stampings to avoid any deception. I don't have a Terra T rex but my Terra Pachyrhinosaurus has "Battat by Terra, Made in China 1159901" It also has a date wheel that the original did not have. Maybe someone who has a Terra T rex could verify what stamping it has.

Update: Okay I was just on the thread Re: (NEW PICS!) Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series page 60 reply #1194 and Pilkington posted comparison shots of the the V3 T rex, 1st issue Terra T rex and 2nd issue Terra T rex and it seems Terra didn't change the stampings on the 1st issue Terra T rex. I can see everything except it appears like they may have softened the "1994 Museum of Science Boston" but that could just be the cast or the photo. In the 2nd issue they changed everything so unfortunately if some shady individual with painting skills gets his or her hands on a 1st issue Terra T rex they could paint it and pass it off as a V3 Battat T rex. I imagine it is probably the same for all the other 1st issue Terra reissues of Battat dinosaurs so buyer beware.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 11, 2017, 05:50:05 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 11, 2017, 12:38:22 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 11, 2017, 12:17:48 PM
That is an original release V3.

Thank you for the info  :)

The only caveat I would add for anyone looking to spend good money for a V3 on eBay or elsewhere is ask the seller to provide a shot of the company stamping. Since the new Terra version is identical one could be painted to pass for a V3. My original V3 has " C (for copyright) 1994 Museum of Science Boston, Tyrannosaurus rex, Battat Inc."
Dan told me all the reissues would have new stampings to avoid any deception. I don't have a Terra T rex but my Terra Pachyrhinosaurus has "Battat by Terra, Made in China 1159901" It also has a date wheel that the original did not have. Maybe someone who has a Terra T rex could verify what stamping it has.

Update: Okay I was just on the thread Re: (NEW PICS!) Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series page 60 reply #1194 and Pilkington posted comparison shots of the the V3 T rex, 1st issue Terra T rex and 2nd issue Terra T rex and it seems Terra didn't change the stampings on the 1st issue Terra T rex. I can see everything except it appears like they may have softened the "1994 Museum of Science Boston" but that could just be the cast or the photo. In the 2nd issue they changed everything so unfortunately if some shady individual with painting skills gets his or her hands on a 1st issue Terra T rex they could paint it and pass it off as a V3 Battat T rex. I imagine it is probably the same for all the other 1st issue Terra reissues of Battat dinosaurs so buyer beware.

Finally I received the figure from USA.
I also have a Battat Terra "first release" so I did a comparison between them (as Mr. Watson suggested ).
My new "1994 Boston Museum" Tyrannosaurus has a little faded coloration due to age (as you can see in pictures).
Probably it was exposed in direct sunlight.
But stampings on the belly are different.

Here the Battat Terra "first release":

As you can see, the original "Boston" mark is still present but partially cancelled (you can't clearly read it).
( Full Res:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/37015913863/in/dateposted/ )

Here the Battat "1994 Boston Museum":

The "Boston" mark is clearly readable.
( Full Res: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/23833559288/in/dateposted/ )

I paid 35USD + shipping for my "Boston".
I don't think that a guy could do a "fake Boston" for just 35 bucks: too much work (new marks + painting).
Probably it's much more easy to do a "fake" Papo Brown Running Rex...  ;)

I hope it could be useful for other DTF members.

Regards
:)

p.s Terra's plastic is less solid than Boston's one; mainly in the legs..

Doug Watson

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 14, 2017, 09:47:21 AM
Finally I received the figure from USA.
I also have a Battat Terra "first release" so I did a comparison between them (as Mr. Watson suggested ).
My new "1994 Boston Museum" Tyrannosaurus has a little faded coloration due to age (as you can see in pictures).
Probably it was exposed in direct sunlight.
But stampings on the belly are different.

Here the Battat Terra "first release":
As you can see, the original "Boston" mark is still present but partially cancelled (you can't clearly read it).
( Full Res:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/37015913863/in/dateposted/ )

Here the Battat "1994 Boston Museum":
The "Boston" mark is clearly readable.
( Full Res: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/23833559288/in/dateposted/ )

I paid 35USD + shipping for my "Boston".
I don't think that a guy could do a "fake Boston" for just 35 bucks: too much work (new marks + painting).
Probably it's much more easy to do a "fake" Papo Brown Running Rex...  ;)

I hope it could be useful for other DTF members.

Regards
:)

p.s Terra's plastic is less solid than Boston's one; mainly in the legs..

I agree you have a real deal V3 Battat T rex there. From your photo of the Battat Terra "first release" it is obvious Terra "smushed" the words "1994 Museum of Science Boston" to obscure them so that photo should be helpful for future original Battat hunters in determining a real one from a fake.
Congratulations on your find.

RobinGoodfellow

PlayVisions figures remain highly collectable for fans worldwide.

A large Hyaenodon went for 71 USD + shipping on Ebay from DeMarxo:

I have to admit that I was tempted to bid about that figure (but I didn't..I already spent too much recently..).

;)

Shonisaurus

I offered for that figure 70 dollars. But seeing that they surpassed me the day before I gave up. I like the figures Play visions and in this case the hyaenodon but I put as limit as I said 70 dollars.

I prefer to spend the money on figures of current prehistoric animals such as Collecta, Papo, Schleich or Safari 2017. If it were sold without a bid, some Play Visions or Battat dinosaurs that were discontinued at a reasonable price would certainly buy it from eBay stores. Obviously I'm not going to spend a fortune for a piece of plastic, in this case dinosaur toy for very well done and finished that is and in an auction, as if they were jewelry in which then they would require tariff rates.

That is the truth and I could corroborate that I put in my case as a maximum bid 70 dollars, they surpassed me on Friday and as I say it is better to buy figures from Safari 2017 or Collecta 2017, although in these cases I may even buy them in my store usual even if I have to wait a long time.

In my case, it does not pay to spend a fortune, including customs taxes on dinosaur figures.

With the things to eat, they do not play as money is.

BlueKrono

I was really lucky to get that figure from the same person last year for less than $20. The name had been misspelled so it didn't come up in searches, and I was the only bidder.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BrontoScorpio

Well,
I solved this issue in a completely different way :
I just don't let 'True' mammals into my collection ...
( we are DTF here, after all, so Permian mammal like are cool enough, but no animal allowed after the K-T boundary Line ! )
I managed to hold this rule 100% strict - and this rule keeps me aligned on its behalf ...
Saves a lot of money ... :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 12, 2017, 07:37:11 AM
Well,
I solved this issue in a completely different way :
I just don't let 'True' mammals into my collection ...
( we are DTF here, after all, so Permian mammal like are cool enough, but no animal allowed after the K-T boundary Line ! )
I managed to hold this rule 100% strict - and this rule keeps me aligned on its behalf ...
Saves a lot of money ... :)

Sorry but in this case I disagree with you..  ;)
There were a lot of wonderful creatures in the Cenozoic.
^-^

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 12, 2017, 08:44:30 AM
^-^
Yep, right:
Another kind of Elephant, another kind of Rhino, some slightly different looking Lion, bigger hyena, More vicious looking Pig, a bear that can runs faster, a tall bird, etc.
I'll stick to my extinct species, if you don't mind ... :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 12, 2017, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 12, 2017, 08:44:30 AM
^-^
Yep, right:
Another kind of Elephant, another kind of Rhino, some slightly different looking Lion, bigger hyena, More vicious looking Pig, a bear that can runs faster, a tall bird, etc.
I'll stick to my extinct species, if you don't mind ... :)

I also collect extant animals figures because I think that ALL lifeforms are unique and wonderful.
I don't think the same about Homo sapiens but that's another story...  ;)

BrontoScorpio

... Lost my words there ...

RobinGoodfellow

Recently a lot of hard-to-find figures went on auction on Ebay..

They were all sold; the final results:

..not bad at all..  ;)

Shonisaurus

The dinosaurs Battat and Play Visions are unaffordable, or sell them in bids in which you leave your eyelashes or for prices impossible to acquire these figures between 300 and 400 dollars.

Honestly I was interested in pachycephalosaurus and I bid 70 dollars but I saw how they overcame me and I decided not to fight anymore. It would be better if Battat reeditase said figures and in this way we would have them new and at a balanced price.

As soon as Play Visions are very coveted pieces but you have to be careful before "pirate stores" as happened to me unfortunately with a so-called palorchestes. Nobody can think of paying without Paypal in a store that you do not know, at least they will return the money.

Daspletotyrannus

I got that  Battat Gallimimus. I just really wanted one. As I believe that and Utahraptor are not going to the Terra line. I now have both.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: