News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2016 Palaeontological Predictions and Wishes

Started by Yutyrannus, December 20, 2015, 01:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: alexeratops on December 21, 2015, 02:49:39 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that Psittacosaurus wasn't confirmed with quills... thanks for that!

Lots of people have referred to the filaments of Psittacosaurus as "quills", but in reality these filaments aren't known to be quills.  At least one paper that describes the filaments of Psittacosaurus calls them "bristle-like structures".

Hmm.. yes, we could ask the local Yutyrannus... but I feel as though he would either lie or not tell us at all...

Ha ha!

Patrx

Hmm.

Feather impressions from more North American taxa
Feather impressions from a non-coelurosaurian theropod
Skin impressions from a marine reptile
More research on the relationship between ornithischian filaments and "feathers"
Another Canadian ceratopsid.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Sim on December 21, 2015, 01:57:06 PM
The member who started this thread is a Yutyrannus, isn't he?  Maybe he can tell us what colour Yutyrannus feathers are!
Hmm.. yes, we could ask the local Yutyrannus... but I feel as though he would either lie or not tell us at all...
Haha! We're quite similar to snow leopards in coloration :)).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

alexeratops

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 21, 2015, 05:15:06 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 21, 2015, 01:57:06 PM
The member who started this thread is a Yutyrannus, isn't he?  Maybe he can tell us what colour Yutyrannus feathers are!
Haha! We're quite similar to snow leopards in coloration :)).
like a bantha!

Sim

I'd really like to see...

- The new Utahraptor fossil finds published.  It looks like this will reveal a lot of new information about Utahraptor, including Utahraptor now being known from non-fragmentary remains!  I'm eager to learn more about Utahraptor!

- The oviraptorosaur provisionally classified as an unnamed Citipati species get officially named.  It is what most restorations of Oviraptor are based on.

- The identification of which species the unique chasmosaurine(?) postcrania NMC 8547 belongs to.  If it doesn't belong to Anchiceratops, I'd also really like to see the postcrania of Anchiceratops become known.

- More Garudimimus fossil material.

- More Eotyrannus fossil material.

- What group of dinosaurs megaraptorans belong to become clear.

suspsy

My personal (and predictable) desires include:

-A juvenile or adult T. rex with feather impressions.

-A complete or nearly complete Spinosaurus skeleton that confirms Sereno and Nizar's restoration.

-A juvenile Torosaurus.

-Complete skulls of Titanoceratops, Coahuilaceratops, and Mercuriceratops.

-A full description of Australia's "Lightning Claw," along with a proper name.

-A transitional form between pterosaurs and their non-flying ancestors.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: suspsy on December 27, 2015, 03:04:15 PM
-A juvenile Torosaurus.

-A full description of Australia's "Lightning Claw," along with a proper name.
Yes, please! Or a really old Triceratops.

no longer available

•    More parts of the yet-to-be identified dromaeosaurid found in South Carolina and a proper name for it.

•    North Carolinian paleontologists finally finding a new dinosaur.

•    A Velociraptor fossil with well-preserved melanosomes on the fossilized feathers.  Then, we can learn the true colors of Velociraptor!

•    A more complete fossil of Therizinosaurus.

Shadowknight1

I still hope for someone to discover an enormous Allosauird and name it Calvinosaurus wattersonii.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Another one of my wishes: more fossil material of Andrewsarchus that allows paleontologists to finally reconstruct it accurately.

amargasaurus cazaui

My one hope is always the establisment or finding...as it might well already exist and be incorrectly classified.......However I wish to go back further than Yinlong, even a single step to an even more basal ancestor to the ceratopsian line. Also more information and knowledge about kulindadromeus, and Pegomastax, more remains please.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

AcroSauroTaurus

Lets see...

1. new ceratopsians... as with every year. ;)
2. An abelisaur that bares a striking resemblance to Indominus, (without the long arms of course.) and will be named after said fictional dinosaur.
3. The new Spinosaurus remains will be reassigned to Sigilmassasaurus.
4. Feather impressions for another large tyrannosaurid.
5. A new dinosaur will be named... ::)
6. A stegosaur with two rows of all spikes down its back, no plates.
7. New Therizinosaurus material.
8. A second specimen of Carnotaurus will be found.
9. An ankylosaurid with spikes on its tail club. (its bound to happen eventually!)
10. Some of the new super-sauropods from South America will be reassigned to previously known genus's.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Sim

I think it would be a shame for a real dinosaur to be named after something that was intended to be an artificial hybrid (I. rex).

suspsy

I don't think anyone could name a dinosaur after the Indominus. Universal has the name copyrighted. It'd be like trying to name a dinosaur Darth Vader or Captain America.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: suspsy on April 12, 2016, 12:30:37 PM
I don't think anyone could name a dinosaur after the Indominus. Universal has the name copyrighted. It'd be like trying to name a dinosaur Darth Vader or Captain America.

Theres a trilobite called Han solo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(trilobite)

Sim

In addition to what PaleoMatt mentioned, it was discussed in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4361.0

AcroSauroTaurus

There is a modern lizard with the genus Smaug and theres Sauroniops. Also it can also be altered: Indominusaurus, Indominusia, Indominusosaurus, Indominotaurus, etc.
I am the Dinosaur King!

no longer available

• A carnivorous sauropod, ornithopod, etc.  If Chilesaurus diegosuarezi showed us that theropods can be herbivorous, then there must be carnivorous counterparts of sauropods or ornithopods out there somewhere!
  • More fossil material of Bradycneme draculae.
  • The discovery of well-preserved skin impressions on a Tyrannosaurus rex fossil.
  • More fossils showing gender differences in other species of dinosaurs.

suspsy

Even if it is legal to name a dinosaur after Indominus Rex, I hope no paleontologist ever does so.

Although it would be funny if some entomologist gave that name to a flesh-eating maggot or a parasite of some type.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Deliciaraptor sagaxensis on April 13, 2016, 01:38:44 PM

• A carnivorous sauropod, ornithopod, etc.  If Chilesaurus diegosuarezi showed us that theropods can be herbivorous, then there must be carnivorous counterparts of sauropods or ornirhopods out there somewhere!
Not quite the same, but I seem to recall something about young sauropods being carnivorous/insectivorous.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: