News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

No problem. I just dug into various paleontology blogs and forums around the internet, seemed to be no definitive answer just lots of speculation. In the end just about the best advice is for someone to check out the info for themselves and draw their own conclusions. :)

Arul

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 20, 2015, 08:38:25 PM
Just look at pictures online and decide which one you like best. People can give you recommendations but at the end of the day the only person that it is important to please is yourself.

Totally agreed

Dilopho

My 'collection' is mainly just chinasaurs and chap mei dinosaurs, but I have a schleich therizinosaurus and a papo dilophosaurus, as well as some bits and pieces from AAA and the likes.
The Papo brachiosaurus will be my first BIG sauropod toy! I'm so excited!

CityRaptor

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 21, 2015, 01:24:02 AM
Aaaah...Papo.

I used to hate them, but...eh.

I never understood that, given that you are also a JP Collector. I know the whole toothy Pteranodon thing, but in this case it means movie accurate.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

mpchi

Quote from: Dilopho on July 21, 2015, 09:37:40 AM
My 'collection' is mainly just chinasaurs and chap mei dinosaurs, but I have a schleich therizinosaurus and a papo dilophosaurus, as well as some bits and pieces from AAA and the likes.
The Papo brachiosaurus will be my first BIG sauropod toy! I'm so excited!

You'll love the Papo brachio. It is one of my top favorite, and Papo's biggest yet. Apatosaurus matches very well with it too, as they have a very similar style of sculpt and texture. Those two are the highlights of my collection.

terrorchicken

I dont own any Papos. I dont think they are bad though. If I had to collect one of the less accuratedino  lines Id probably collect these. At least they are well sculpted and detailed. They look like models of cgi movie dinosaurs...cool if not scientifically realistic. Im thinking of at least getting the carnotaurus b/c its my favorite theropod. I really like the new diplodocus too.

Dilopho

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 21, 2015, 06:02:51 PM
I dont own any Papos. I dont think they are bad though. If I had to collect one of the less accuratedino  lines Id probably collect these. At least they are well sculpted and detailed. They look like models of cgi movie dinosaurs...cool if not scientifically realistic. Im thinking of at least getting the carnotaurus b/c its my favorite theropod. I really like the new diplodocus too.
I would recommend the dilophosaurus, too!
Depending on where you are, the pteranodon is usually the cheapest to buy, although it has teeth...

EmperorDinobot

I hate the Pteranodon. I just got my second one from Halichoeres (I sold the first one I got), and I'll keep it.

WTF is up with the Triceratops' hindlimbs?

Oviraptor has no feathers but we all know why.

The Ankylosaurus isn't supposed to have such a range of motion, but then again we only know it from the front end of the body.

I like their sculpts, but I hate how ridiculously inaccurate they all are. They are Jurassic Park dinosaurs, and I collect Jurassic Park Dinosaurs, but I wish we had the same level of detail on accurate dinosaur replicas. We kinda do now, but the level of detail on these is ridiculous in a good way. I am...sadly hooked.

If only they were articulated... not fully but just 5-6 points of articulation... I'd be a lot happier.

Can someone send me the entire checklist of all the dinosaurs they've done? I know I'm missing the Carnotaurus and the Dilophosaurus and the baby Triceratops, but what else am I missing?

Halichoeres

I think this covers all of them, even the major color variants:

http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Papo_Dinosaurs
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Did Papo actually release it under the name "carnosaurus" or is that a typo?

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 23, 2015, 06:36:22 PM
Did Papo actually release it under the name "carnosaurus" or is that a typo?

Ha ha I didn't even notice that. They released it as Carnotaurus, I think that's just a typo in the wiki.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Dilopho

Finally got my brachiosaurus (giraffatitan) in the post today! WOW! IT'S SO HUGE! I never expected it to be THIS big!
Mine has green skin- I've noticed the ones on the dino toy blog seem to be brown (or my memory is terrible) so does this figure have paint evolution like the stegosaurus? Or is it sudden change, like the velociraptor?
It's definitely an official Papo.

Dobber

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 23, 2015, 06:21:32 PM

Sooty if this was covered before, but idles the Brown T-Rex have a different head sculpt compared to the green one. I'm referring to the non running versions. In the pictures it really looks like it.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dobber on July 24, 2015, 01:52:09 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 23, 2015, 06:21:32 PM

Sooty if this was covered before, but idles the Brown T-Rex have a different head sculpt compared to the green one. I'm referring to the non running versions. In the pictures it really looks like it.

Chris
Maybe? But I think it might just be a slight difference in the angle. I think the green one is angled slightly more toward the camera.

Arul

Dilopho, nice brachio  :D yes papo seems have some kind like  "unofficial" color variation. The clear sample is the stegosaurus and maybe this brachio. Some figure have grey color some figure have green color. A member here post his papo stego few month ago, 3 figure with 3 color variation  :o

stargatedalek

I'm fairly certain there some slight differences between the green and brown standing rex. If you look both of the close ups you can the the nostril and the ridge along the top of the fenestrae appear different.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2015, 03:43:36 AM
I'm fairly certain there some slight differences between the green and brown standing rex. If you look both of the close ups you can the the nostril and the ridge along the top of the fenestrae appear different.

There are indeed. I posted some comparison shot s awhile back..in addition to the brown Rex having much better detail I think the head was resculpted overall. The back of the lower jaw is another area in addition to those you mentioned.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dilopho on July 23, 2015, 07:50:20 PM

Finally got my brachiosaurus (giraffatitan) in the post today! WOW! IT'S SO HUGE! I never expected it to be THIS big!
Mine has green skin- I've noticed the ones on the dino toy blog seem to be brown (or my memory is terrible) so does this figure have paint evolution like the stegosaurus? Or is it sudden change, like the velociraptor?
It's definitely an official Papo.

Yeah, it's awesome. I hope they make another Brachio (jr or adult) with a new pose or an adult Apato.

Dilopho

I've noticed that on my brachio there's also very faint brick-coloured stripes on the neck's underside. You can't see it in pictures though, it's very faint. Are these stripes on the older brachio?
Like I said, mine is official, not a bootleg.

Victoria's Cantina

I just received an Allosaurus and the feet don't sit flush. I believe this is due to the plastic tray, which was very tight on the legs. Also, one of the toe claws is blunt, which I think is also due to the tray. Anyone seen this or now of a fix?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: