News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: suspsy on December 21, 2012, 12:33:12 AM
Yeah, I figure a Therizinosaurus by Papo would resemble the featherless version from Walking With Dinosaurs. Or perhaps it would mark a turning point for them and include plumage on the neck.

*yuck* Let us never speak of that monstrosity again.

More to the point, I'm not sure Papo actually has a problem with feathers, per se. Seems to me they've just been basing their designs off of popular depictions, many of which are too outdated to include feathers.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on December 21, 2012, 12:54:02 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 21, 2012, 12:33:12 AM
Yeah, I figure a Therizinosaurus by Papo would resemble the featherless version from Walking With Dinosaurs. Or perhaps it would mark a turning point for them and include plumage on the neck.

*yuck* Let us never speak of that monstrosity again.

More to the point, I'm not sure Papo actually has a problem with feathers, per se. Seems to me they've just been basing their designs off of popular depictions, many of which are too outdated to include feathers.

That was more like what I was getting at . They didn't include them on any previous dinos so it's good bet it wouldn't.

Sharptooth

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 20, 2012, 08:08:32 PM

What's your DeviantArt username? I want to see this guy :).

I'm Kazuma27 there on DA  ;)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2012, 09:00:11 PM
Giga would be a great figure for Papo to make..when it comes to theropods I still want a Ceratosaurus from them though. ;)
As long as it's not based on the Jurassic Park 3 one :P
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Patrx

Honestly, I hope they do a Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus. If they tried to make one based on the real thing, we all know it'd turn out terribly; and there aren't any nice, affordable JP versions out there as far as I know.

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol  If it's based on JP then collectors of that franchise will love it, if it's more scientifically accurate others will love it..it's a meat eating dinosaur with horns..kids will love it either way. So I think no matter what they do it will be popular. :)

They might do alright by Dilo..but yeah I'm good with a JP version as well there. It would be the most affordable and accurate Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus around for sure.

tyrantqueen

I'd like another sauropod- Apatosaurus, and perhaps another hadrosaur- Iguanodon would be ideal. I have no complaints with Papo being influenced by Sideshow whatsoever- I will never own a SS maquette in my life (too expensive and big), and really, Sideshow are the cream of the crop of dinosaur replicas IMO. What better source could they be influenced by? They are beautifully made and always accurate too. I really hope Papo will move away from Jurassic Park in the future.

TL;DR If Papo could continue to take a leaf out of Sideshow's book, that would please me very much. Imagine an Apatosaurus that was similar to this....

DO WANT.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have no problem with them copying Sideshow in the least.  The figures are much easier to play with like with taking pics outdoors and such. 

ChrisLikesDinos

So, is it possible to find the brown Running Rex in the US? Or is the green one the only one available here?

Giga would be a great figure for Papo to make..when it comes to theropods I still want a Ceratosaurus from them though. ;)

I would love for them to do a Ceratosaurus, but if they based it off JP3 I would hope they did it in color scheme only.. the actual Certosaurus was not that great looking and I would prefer something a little more representative of the dinosaur.. given if it did look like the movie version I would still buy it in a heartbeat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on December 22, 2012, 01:12:58 AM
So, is it possible to find the brown Running Rex in the US? Or is the green one the only one available here?

I would love for them to do a Ceratosaurus, but if they based it off JP3 I would hope they did it in color scheme only.. the actual Certosaurus was not that great looking and I would prefer something a little more representative of the dinosaur.. given if it did look like the movie version I would still buy it in a heartbeat.

lol exactly. :)

Horridus

The actual Ceratosaurus had MORE horns than the Jurassic Park one! And that wasn't the only way in which it was more impressive.

I'm with tyrantqueen, actually - a miniature version of that Sideshow Apatosaurus certainly wouldn't go amiss. That's certainly a tantalising prospect.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Patrx

Quote from: Horridus on December 22, 2012, 04:42:37 PM
The actual Ceratosaurus had MORE horns than the Jurassic Park one! And that wasn't the only way in which it was more impressive.

I'm with tyrantqueen, actually - a miniature version of that Sideshow Apatosaurus certainly wouldn't go amiss. That's certainly a tantalising prospect.

Quite! The absurdly long and numerous teeth, for one thing.

Also, yes - if Papo were to copy another Sideshow model, the Apatosaurus would be my pick. I'd be pretty happy about a version of that model that I can actually afford, hah.

Ankylosaurus54

I've been waiting for Amazon to get the Brachiosaurus in, what's the hold-up?

Balaur

DinoToyForum

Invicta Hunter

Does anyone know where you can buy a brown running trex? I've been looking but i've had no luck in finding one.

Takama

Sigh.

The only definite place that is known to have them is Mastermind Toys in Canada.     However, the figure is currently out of stock, and based on some storeys, there is no guaranteeing that you will receive the right color if it comes back in stock.

Ankylosaurus54

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on January 13, 2013, 04:41:29 PM
Quote from: Ankylosaurus54 on January 13, 2013, 04:29:01 PM
I've been waiting for Amazon to get the Brachiosaurus in, what's the hold-up?

Last I checked, It's there. Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/Papo-55030-Brachiosaurus/dp/B007CF7L9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358095265&sr=8-1&keywords=Papo+Brachiosaurus
Not sold through Amazon, only a secondary seller. I have free prime shipping I'd like to utilize.

suspsy

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on January 13, 2013, 06:14:21 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy a brown running trex? I've been looking but i've had no luck in finding one.

I got mine from Mastermind Toys (based out of Toronto, ON). Unfortunately, they do not appear to make any distinction between it and the standard green version on their website. I was totally surprised when I opened up the box and saw what was inside.

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Papo-Running-Trex.aspx

I suggest you contact them and see if it's possible to select a brown one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on December 05, 2012, 07:27:47 PM
I got hold of the Papo "Brachiosaurus" today, and it's a peculiar one. Of course, the production values are top-notch, but in terms of anatomical and stylistic influences it's a bit all over the place. The deep neck in particular (rather than a swan-like noodle-neck) is quite modern-looking, and the skull is surprisingly well researched, even three dimensionally (the snout is wide, whereas on eg. the Schleich it's too narrow). However, other parts of it are very retro-looking; the feet are wrong, of course, the skull is 'shrink wrapped', and the mega-wrinkliness of the neck is a bit odd looking. I like it overall - and I just might have to review it, if no one beats me to it - but I can't help but wonder what sources the sculptor used.

Looking at the Brach my daughter got, and haven't seen anything mentioned about this--does anyone else feel like the neck-to-body joining of the figure is awkward? On the one we have, the seam is glaringly obvious, like the two parts are pasted together from separate animals. The paint isn't even consistent between the two. This seems unusual for Papo. I will never be their biggest fan, but at the very least I have always appreciated a certain manufacturing quality from them. My photo doesn't show it well, but the colour and texture stand out quite obviously when I hold the Brach.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: