News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 28, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
Anybody else notice that the figure on Amazon is called "Velociraptor antirrhopus"? So I guess that makes it a hybrid between Velociraptor and Deinonychus.

Thats the "scientifical"name that the jurassic park fan community uses for the Jurassic park raptors.

Halichoeres

Quote from: MLMjp on November 28, 2015, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 28, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
Anybody else notice that the figure on Amazon is called "Velociraptor antirrhopus"? So I guess that makes it a hybrid between Velociraptor and Deinonychus.

Thats the "scientifical"name that the jurassic park fan community uses for the Jurassic park raptors.

I was not aware of that, thanks! How clever.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

I believe that was the original name for Deinonychus before it actually went public. I've heard the Guide to Predatory Dinosaurs has it in there as well, if I could locate my copy easily I'd confirm it.  This name is supposedly where much of the confusion comes from with the Raptors in the film/novel as well.

Here is a quote from Wiki :

Velociraptor are well known for their role as vicious and cunning killers thanks to their portrayal in the 1990 novel Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and its 1993 film adaptation, directed by Steven Spielberg. The "raptors" portrayed in Jurassic Park were actually modeled after the closely related dromaeosaurid Deinonychus. Paleontologists in both the novel and film excavate a skeleton in Montana, far from the central Asian range of Velociraptor but characteristic of the Deinonychus range. A character in Crichton's novel also states that "Deinonychus is now considered one of the velociraptors", which suggests that Crichton used the controversial taxonomy proposed by Gregory S. Paul, even though the "raptors" in the novel are at another point referred to as V. mongoliensis.[42] Crichton met with the discoverer of Deinonychus, John Ostrom, several times at Yale University to discuss details of the animal's possible range of behaviors and appearance. Crichton at one point apologetically told Ostrom that he had decided to use the name Velociraptor in place of Deinonychus because the former name was "more dramatic". According to Ostrom, Crichton stated that the Velociraptor of the novel was based on Deinonychus in almost every detail, and that only the name had been changed.[43] The Jurassic Park filmmakers also requested all of Ostrom's published papers on Deinonychus during production.[43] They portrayed the animals with the size, proportions, and snout shape of Deinonychus rather than Velociraptor.[44][45]

Production on Jurassic Park began before the discovery of the large dromaeosaurid Utahraptor was made public in 1991, but as Jody Duncan wrote about this discovery: "Later, after we had designed and built the Raptor, there was a discovery of a Raptor skeleton in Utah, which they labeled 'super-slasher'. They had uncovered the largest Velociraptor to date - and it measured five-and-a-half-feet tall, just like ours. So we designed it, we built it, and then they discovered it. That still boggles my mind."[44] Spielberg was particularly pleased with the discovery of the Utahraptor because of the boost it gave to the velociraptors in his film. Spielberg's name was briefly considered for naming of the new dinosaur.[46] In reality, Velociraptor, like many other maniraptoran theropods, was covered in feathers. Jurassic Park and its sequel The Lost World: Jurassic Park were released before this discovery, so the creatures in both films are depicted as featherless with scales all over in the manner of modern reptiles. For Jurassic Park III, the male Velociraptor was given quill-like structures along the back of the head and neck. While this was the extent to which CGI effects were able to render feathers at the time, the structures do not resemble the down-like feathers real-life dromaeosaurids bore or the fully developed arm feathers, akin to the wing feathers of modern birds, born by Velociraptor.[9] In the successful fourth film Jurassic World, the Velociraptors return as protagonists, but their design is the same as it was from the old films, which drew criticism due to their lack of feathers.

Since the release of Crichton's Jurassic Park, Velociraptor and its relatives are encountered in numerous toy lines, animated films, video games, television series and documentaries. In 1995, the city of Toronto named its new NBA expansion team the Raptors.

Sim

I'm pretty sure "Velociraptor antirrhopus" was created by Gregory Paul in his book Predatory Dinosaurs of the World where he tried to reclassify Deinonychus antirrhopus as a species of Velociraptor.  This hasn't been accepted so "Velociraptor antirrhopus" is a synonym of Deinonychus antirrhopus, and not a valid name.  On the Deinonychus Wikipedia page, "Velociraptor antirrhopus" is shown as being created by Paul in 1988 - 1988 is the year his Predatory Dinosaurs of the World came out.  The Deinonychus Wikipedia page doesn't say Deinonychus was called a species of Velociraptor prior to being called Deinonychus.  Gregory Paul lumping Deinonychus into Velociraptor in PDotW is also mentioned here: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/you-say-velociraptor-i-say-deinonychus-33789870/?no-ist

I noticed that figure is called Velociraptor antirrhopus.  Since "Velociraptor antirrhopus" = Deinonychus antirrhopus, I'd say whoever created that figure is less in denial about what it represents than some others are about their own 'Velociraptor' reconstructions!

japfeif

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

MLMjp

:o :o :o
Sometimes people are just crazy......

Not even the battat diplodocus or the rarest WWD figure surpasses the 300$

CityRaptor

Didn't the Ornithocheirus sell for over 600? Of course that is widely different that price.
Now I have to add that to my watch list to see if someone is crazy enough...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

MLMjp

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 02, 2015, 10:06:22 AM
Didn't the Ornithocheirus sell for over 600? Of course that is widely different that price.

Still, something over 500$ is just insanely crazy for every dinosaur figure no matter how rare is it

And i dont think that anything is worth more than 150$

Saurox

stargatedalek

Given how few of them are known I'm not inclined to say any price is unreasonable for the WWD Ornithocheirus. The Papo brown running rex and V1 raptor however are a lot more common than one might be lead to believe, it just requires patience and luck.

oscars_dinos

Hello everyone!!! Im new here (and still trying to figure all this out). But yes, as someone that has the papo brown running t-rex....I'm just gonna say that the one on ebay isn't worth it and is just a tad over priced

LophoLeeVT

wait-isn't the sideshow dinosaurus more than 500$?
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Viking Spawn

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 03, 2015, 03:45:39 AM

Most of them are.  The Sideshow exclusives can go over $1000 USD.  Especially the original elder Rex or whatever its referred to and its skull accessory.

Dyscrasia

Wow, the asking price for that brown running T. rex is absolutely crazy....  :o

On the other hand, I kind of regret not obtaining one when they were available in local stores.

MLMjp

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 03, 2015, 04:40:15 AM

Most of them are.  The Sideshow exclusives can go over $1000 USD.  Especially the original elder Rex or whatever its referred to and its skull accessory.

But sideshow pieces are STATUES not pvc figures.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: MLMjp on December 03, 2015, 08:55:27 AM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 03, 2015, 04:40:15 AM

True.  Hence all the more reason this auction price is simply crazy!  ;)

japfeif

[/quote]

Not to mention that to be honest, all this is, really, is a figure in a pose that we all already have, just in another color!

japfeif

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 02, 2015, 10:06:22 AM

Hahaha....I did that too!!!!! Anyone wanna take a wager that the final score will be....."no bids"??  :))

alexeratops

Possible Baryonyx leak?
like a bantha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: