News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

The teeth aren't what makes it inaccurate (the teeth just make it unusual), it's inaccurate because it uses the Jurassic Park head.

Plasticbeast95

Then what, may I ask, is wrong with the head?

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 04, 2015, 10:43:47 PM
The teeth aren't what makes it inaccurate (the teeth just make it unusual), it's inaccurate because it uses the Jurassic Park head.

I think it looks more like the head of the Vastatosaurus rex from king kong. Especially in the crest above the eyes, which are very similar, but the whole head to me looks like a mix between JP, Vastatosaurus and the actual T.rex head. This makes him IMO look closer to a real t.rex head.

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on December 04, 2015, 10:54:44 PM
The oversized crest over the eyes, the lower jaws denture and a muzzle that should be a little less bulkier

Patrx

If we're talking about the "running" Papo rex, the head's even worse off than the Jurassic Park one, what with it's super-robust mandible.

CityRaptor

I wouldn't be surprised if one day a Theropod with a head like that would be discovered.

Although I would say it either had a damaged jaw in the past or is the missing link between a JP Rex and V. rex
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: MLMjp on December 04, 2015, 10:58:41 PM

I think it looks more like the head of the Vastatosaurus rex from king kong. Especially in the crest above the eyes, which are very similar, but the whole head to me looks like a mix between JP, Vastatosaurus and the actual T.rex head. This makes him IMO look closer to a real t.rex head.

The oversized crest over the eyes, the lower jaws denture and a muzzle that should be a little less bulkier

Eh, those are really just minor flaws, ones that don't take away from the figure as a whole. In my opinion. :)

MLMjp

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on December 04, 2015, 11:05:43 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on December 04, 2015, 10:58:41 PM

Eh, those are really just minor flaws, ones that don't take away from the figure as a whole. In my opinion. :)

Images say more than 1000 words:
Papo running T.rex:

Accurate T.rex heads:

Plasticbeast95

Like I said, in my opinion :)

MLMjp

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on December 04, 2015, 11:44:46 PM
Personally I also think is not that bad, but there are some remarkable differences

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: MLMjp on December 04, 2015, 11:48:20 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on December 04, 2015, 11:44:46 PM
Personally I also think is not that bad, but there are some remarkable differences

Ya I wont deny that the Running Rex's muzzle is considerably more boxy than the actual animal.

Victoria's Cantina

Frankly, I would be all for Papo giving priority to a T-Rex that is feathered and far more accurate than than what they currently have on the market. I love their current T-Rexes, but it would be refreshing to see them do a more modern and realistic take on the king.

Daspletodave

Papo has never been known for their realism. They're more into stylistic interpretations.

Rain

Quote from: Daspletodave on December 05, 2015, 11:26:50 PM
Papo has never been known for their realism. They're more into stylistic interpretations.

Aside from when they rip off Sideshow or Todd Marshall's artwork

EmperorDinobot

Man, I want some Papo for X-mas.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 06, 2015, 03:59:36 AM
Man, I want some Papo for X-mas.

Same here.  I gave hints to my wife too.  Hehehehe.

As someone mentioned already, a great X-Mas present from Papo would be the reveal of their 2016 line up!  I'm hoping it will be any time now.

SpartanSquat

I hope we will get news very soon. In this month we usually get news.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: RolandEden on December 07, 2015, 01:47:25 PM
I hope we will get news very soon. In this month we usually get news.

If I remember right I think Papo released the stock images for there dinos around the 18th of december last year. So maybe we'll get lucky on the 18th again this year.

Sim

Quote from: Rain on December 05, 2015, 11:56:30 PM

As much as I wish Papo wasn't like this, Daspletodave is right.  Even the figures that are rip offs of the art you mentioned have anatomical inaccuracies that aren't present in the original artwork.

Rain

Quote from: Sim on December 08, 2015, 08:57:07 PM
Quote from: Rain on December 05, 2015, 11:56:30 PM

As much as I wish Papo wasn't like this, Daspletodave is right.  Even the figures that are rip offs of the art you mentioned have anatomical inaccuracies that aren't present in the original artwork.

Other than enlarged feet and pronated hands?

Halichoeres

Or Carnotaurus's muzzle. Was Sideshow's Tupuxuara naked too, or was that just Papo?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: