News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/6 Scale Compsognathus longipes: "Sentry" and "Bad Company"

Started by joossa, December 31, 2015, 09:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

thing is. The Dinosaurs from Jurassic PArk are not Always accurate. in fact. Most of the Time There NOT.

And this is a company who sells there models as museum style replicas, despite ripping off what many consider movie monsters in this forum

empire3569

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 24, 2016, 01:01:14 AM
The pose is fine to me, I generally don't have much problems either with dynamic or neutral pose, as long as the sculpt is good. It looks skinny and unfeathered because is a JP replica, you can dislike that but speaking objectively it's a perfect JP Compsognathus. No offense to anyone intended but what's wrong with JP replicas? If people wants non-JP inspired figures there are plenty on the market, I don't understand why making a JP inspired figure should be a step back for a company. I'm not defending REBOR cause I'm not a fan of them at all, I dislike most of their models, purely for aesthetic reasons and based on my personal taste, but I don't get the reason why taking inspiration from the JP universe should be a minus. You end up having beautifully detailed figures reflecting the animals from the JP movies much like we have Godzilla and King Kong figures, at an affordable price too, so where's the bad? Aren't such models better than the old Kenner and Hasbro toys? We're not children anymore (most of us), after all. My only minor disappointment is that it seems to have no movable jaw, but probably that's because the small size of the figure and particularly of its head.

The problem is that Rebor markets themselves as making "scientifically accurate models", which their last couple releases (Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Dimorphodons) were much more accurate than previous releases and it seemed they were taking steps to be more scientifically accurate. Thus, by producing a very inaccurate JP model it is a major step back. Also, on another note, as you have pointed out that this is indeed a "perfect JP compy", Rebor does not have the rights to technically produce exact JP replicas. There are plenty of JP figures out there to collect if people want to collect them that are licensed. While yes, there are plenty of companies producing non-JP replicas, very few have the level of detail at the price point offered by Rebor, thus they expect accurate figures (since again, they are a dinosaur company, NOT a JP dinosaur company). And finally, especially with a species like this, there are so few (if any?) models of it that it's a shame it is a JP inspired one instead of a more accurate one. So yes, this JP figure is a big step back for them IMO. I would be willing to bet that this does not sell nearly as well as the Dimorphodons did

Rain

I'm going to have to disagree with you empire. Jurrasic Park is a huge franchise with A LOT of fans. Their King T rex sold well primarily because it's a JP T rex(Or well because it has a JP rex head). I have no doubt their compy will bring in loads of sales for them. Still a pass for me however.

Patrx

I do actually like some of Papo's JP replicas, and I don't so much mind the idea of a nice JP Compy figure. Trouble is, there really aren't any good figures of the actual Compsognathus. So that strikes me as disappointing. 

empire3569

It would be different if Rebor was claiming to make JP replicas, but again, they are not. If they were out there saying "our company is here to make really awesome Jurassic Park dinosaurs" then I would be behind this compy all the way. But because this is not what they are doing, myself, as well as many others, expect reasonably accurate models.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on February 23, 2016, 08:12:58 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2016, 08:03:06 PM
From what I could find, if it did have some sort of feathers, they would be sparse and hairy?  One hand is actually passable in it's position, the other is the problem..I've heated and re-posed some resin..I wonder if that could work here?
Actually, as I just learned in a lecture online, some people think Sinosauropteryx might also have had loose, downy-type feathers as well as (or indeed instead of) hairlike ones.
Sounds like the hands could be tricky! Hmm. I've never tried to do anything with resin, myself. Generally, I fear it'll break if I look at it too hard!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2016, 08:03:06 PMWhat would you think if I turned this one into a Sinosauropteryx ?
Sinosauropteryx would be a cool addition to the park, I think! I wonder if you'll ever get those JP Compies from Malcolm?

If any did it was Sinosauropteryx.  Maybe some on Sciopryx...I have that model too I plan to add to the Park. 

That's one reason I'm considering this. He says they are ready to ship but won't take funds to just get them here. I'm thinking of making this Dinostoreus piece into a Sinosauropteryx and call it a Compsognathus for now. When/if Malcolm actually comes through I'll have a Sinosauropteryx ready to go.

Silvanusaurus

The biggest problem with just making Jurassic Park figures for me is not necessarily the inaccuracies, or even the irritating fact that they can't just be honest about the intentions of the figure, but it's that doing that severely limits the scope and potential for the kinds of Dinosaur figures we could see from a company like this, and from a creative standpoint it just ends up feeling stagnant and dull.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 24, 2016, 06:38:05 AM
The biggest problem with just making Jurassic Park figures for me is not necessarily the inaccuracies, or even the irritating fact that they can't just be honest about the intentions of the figure, but it's that doing that severely limits the scope and potential for the kinds of Dinosaur figures we could see from a company like this, and from a creative standpoint it just ends up feeling stagnant and dull.

All of their products haven't been JP replicas at least.  Honestly there is a plethora of JP fans wanting high end nicely made and affordable replicas of the creatures in the films..and no one has really done them. I mean Papo is the closest really.  The shame is that an official line made like this would satisfy the needs of collectors and you wouldn't need every company trying to make a JP T-Rex.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2016, 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 24, 2016, 06:38:05 AM

All of their products haven't been JP replicas at least.  Honestly there is a plethora of JP fans wanting high end nicely made and affordable replicas of the creatures in the films..and no one has really done them. I mean Papo is the closest really.  The shame is that an official line made like this would satisfy the needs of collectors and you wouldn't need every company trying to make a JP T-Rex.

Yes, this exactly. Hasbro is sitting comfortably atop the JP toy license, preventing anyone else from having a shot unless they're doing high-end collectibles such as Chronicle. If only there was breathing room for the license to go to someone doing official JP replicas in a price range that didn't compete with Hasbro, some company out there would be making that segment of fans happy. But since there's not, we're left chomping at the bit for stuff like this Compy and many of Papo's dinosaurs. And as long as there's money to be made doing this, the companies are probably quite happy to oblige.

tyrantqueen

QuoteNo offense to anyone intended but what's wrong with JP replicas? If people wants non-JP inspired figures there are plenty on the market, I don't understand why making a JP inspired figure should be a step back for a company.

A few years ago, it was difficult to get dinosaur toys that were actually accurate to real dinosaurs. It's only recently that toy companies have been breaking out of the creative rut brought on by those movies. I liked Rebor's Acro and I wanted more stuff like that. I have zero interest in buying JP toys.

And anyway, they don't have a license to produce these JP clones. It's bordering on IP theft. Now if they were operating in China, there wouldn't be anything that could be done. But they're in Britain right? So could Universal sue them??

Fluffysaurus

I dont mind it looks like a lw Compy. Im glad a company like Rebor finally makes a great movie like replica. As said before Hasbro has the Jurassic park license key. And it messed up real good. For me the stuff they bring out now is crap. Kenner did a better job then they ever will. I love this Compy. Then Universal could sue papo just as well. As well as many many other companies. Question is why would you have Universal sue them :o ?This isnt a toy  ???. Its a high end replica and if they colour the Compy different  it isnt a exact replica :P . Even when the eyes are coloured different it cant be count as a direct copy i think. And they didnt use the logo. And if it is well i will buy one anyway.  :D
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 24, 2016, 10:14:03 AM
QuoteNo offense to anyone intended but what's wrong with JP replicas? If people wants non-JP inspired figures there are plenty on the market, I don't understand why making a JP inspired figure should be a step back for a company.

A few years ago, it was difficult to get dinosaur toys that were actually accurate to real dinosaurs. It's only recently that toy companies have been breaking out of the creative rut brought on by those movies. I liked Rebor's Acro and I wanted more stuff like that. I have zero interest in buying JP toys.

And anyway, they don't have a license to produce these JP clones. It's bordering on IP theft. Now if they were operating in China, there wouldn't be anything that could be done. But they're in Britain right? So could Universal sue them??

I think the real thing that would be looked at would be whether or not the company's intellectual property was being infringed upon. We know some of these dinos certainly share the likeness of JP dinos, but they are not being labeled or promoted as such. Plus, there's also the fact that dinosaurs are real creatures... not something fictional like Godzilla. Therefore, there is room for interpretation, and if one company thinks they look like JP dinos, I think they can make them look like JP dinos. I honestly don't think there's much Universal could do since they are interpretations of dinosaurs and not marketed as JP.

tyrantqueen

I just find this talk of copyright theft even more amusing when you take into consideration that Rebor themselves threatened to take legal action against bootleggers who were (and still are) ripping off their stuff.

QuoteFortunately we got world's best lawyers in UK, and REBOR is protected by the UK Intellectual Property Office and GS1 Society, if we ever find a bootleg REBOR dinosaur replica in the market, we will sue those pirates at all cost till they got bankrupted. All REBOR products that shipped to China have special warning labels on the packaging which states legal matters and pretty serious consequence of breaking them, so hopefully those Chinese pirates won't be foolish enough to test our patience.

Say NO to bootleg Chinasaurs, it should not be tolerated

And here they are borderline stealing another IP's design. The hypocrisy is laughable.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 24, 2016, 01:01:14 AM
....... If people wants non-JP inspired figures there are plenty on the market, I don't understand why making a JP inspired figure should be a step back for a company. .......

Unfortunately there isn't a non-JP inspired Compsognathus on the market.
The reason why some people are disappointed with this figure might be that there was hope that there could finally be one.

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 24, 2016, 02:22:22 AM
....... I wouldn't care on how the company present its product but only care if I like the product itself or not.

Of course! This should be the main intention while deciding wether to buy a model or not.

QuoteFortunately we got world's best lawyers in UK, and REBOR is protected by the UK Intellectual Property Office and GS1 Society, if we ever find a bootleg REBOR dinosaur replica in the market, we will sue those pirates at all cost till they got bankrupted. All REBOR products that shipped to China have special warning labels on the packaging which states legal matters and pretty serious consequence of breaking them, so hopefully those Chinese pirates won't be foolish enough to test our patience.

Say NO to bootleg Chinasaurs, it should not be tolerated   (quote by REBOR)

Chinese eBay sellers have been offering the Yutyrannus for more than a year now ..... and nothing happened that could have stopped them :-\.

PaleoMatt

I said if this was a JP compy I would hate Rebor, and yes I do hate them now.

tyrantqueen

I don't hate them. I'm sure they're nice people and I like their passion for dinosaurs. I just don't care for the direction they're going in.

Arul

PaleoMatt

Maybe I was a bit too harsh XD. Reading there quotes though I understand. Sorry Rebor :(

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: Arul on February 25, 2016, 02:02:43 AM
Come on eat something compy, eat something  :'(
Why do you think there is a dragonfly with the Comp :P
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

stargatedalek

Honesty it looks to me that the dragonfly would win in a fight :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: