You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

what killed the biggest primate that ever lived?

Started by sauroid, January 19, 2016, 05:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Viking Spawn

Interesting article.  Lots to learn yet.  Reminds me of the story of Megalania. 

CityRaptor

It was beauty killed the beast!

Interesting article, but I would expect a primate to be more adaptable. Guess that only works up to a certain size even for them. And it shows how much of a dead end feeding on bamboo can be.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Ah, Gigantopithecus. Belongs right up there with Spinosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and Andrewsarchus. How I would love for someone to find more fossil remains.

And naturally, I would love it if CollectA or Safari made a toy.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Newt

It may possibly be related to the sudden increase in Tarzan populations about the same time...

Sim

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 19, 2016, 06:00:30 PM
Interesting article.  Lots to learn yet.  Reminds me of the story of Megalania.

It reminds me of the story of C. megalodon!

smashtoad

I haven't read the article yet, so before I do I will offer a guess as to the cause of the gigantopithicus extinction.  Considering its country of origin...my guess is: (Please click and drag below to reveal my guess

NINJAS

Derek.McManus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 19, 2016, 06:19:28 PM
It was beauty killed the beast!

Interesting article, but I would expect a primate to be more adaptable. Guess that only works up to a certain size even for them. And it shows how much of a dead end feeding on bamboo can be.

lol I was thinking planes..and heights.

Derek.McManus

I would like to know how they got it on the ship to take it to its eventual doom! That little point is never addressed!  ;)

Viking Spawn

tyrantqueen

Meh, I choose King Kong over Godzilla anyday.

Gwangi

The 2005 Kong movie was far superior to the 2014 Godzilla movie. And of course the original 1933 Kong is one of the greatest movies in cinematic history with stop motion that rivals the effects used is the grand majority of Godzilla movies.

tyrantqueen

I've seen all three major King Kongs (thirties, seventies and Jackson's remake) and I find things to like about all three. I only like the original Godzilla though. The American made Godzillas did nothing for me.

I'm looking forward to the 2020 Kong versus Godzilla though. I just hope both characters get fair treatment and equal billing.

Viking Spawn

Gwangi

stargatedalek

I prefer Godzilla as a character but I prefer "King Kong" as a franchise/canon/world.

Gwangi

Truth be told I'm a big fan of both. The King Kong movies (excluding the 70's version) are far superior to most of the Godzilla movies. That said, I'm more likely to re-watch the Godzilla movies and I like that there are so many to choose from. Hell, I even enjoy Gamera.

Takama

Since we are off topic a little bit. I thoght the discovery of Gigantopithicus is what inspired the creation of King Kong. With that in mind. I always seen Kong ans a Fictitious prehistoric Ape.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Gwangi on March 28, 2016, 01:28:52 AM
Truth be told I'm a big fan of both. The King Kong movies (excluding the 70's version) are far superior to most of the Godzilla movies. That said, I'm more likely to re-watch the Godzilla movies and I like that there are so many to choose from. Hell, I even enjoy Gamera.

I actually like Kong, Godzilla, and Gamera too!   :)

Now what was this topic about again?  :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: