News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Dinosaur Art & Sculptures

Started by Archinto, January 23, 2016, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archinto

I lay down a pressed strip of clay and roll the edges of it with my tool into the gums so it is standing vertically along the gumline, then use the pointy end of my tool and press the grooves for the teeth. Then I fiddle with them till they are sharp looking. Its tedious but the results are well worth it. I did the same technique on the Coelophysis I made. Far better than trying to make each tooth.

Thanks for the comments! Checking out the bone structure of the animal, it is similar to a lot of modern day lizards, so I used my Iguana as somewhat of an example of what to follow for muscle lines.

I've added more color since these pics, its looking rather awesome. :3
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Archinto

This thing is looking so rad.... O_o

Its not yet attached to the base, and I might leave it that way. Unsure yet...

Sphenacodon ferocior by Archinto, on Flickr

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Flaffy

Looks really nice! I suggest you not glue it to the base.  ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Everything_Dinosaur

Archinto

Thank you! I finalized it today and its already spoken for :) Here is the final paint

Sphenacodon ferocior final by Archinto, on Flickr

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Archinto on May 02, 2016, 09:53:33 PM
I lay down a pressed strip of clay and roll the edges of it with my tool into the gums so it is standing vertically along the gumline, then use the pointy end of my tool and press the grooves for the teeth. Then I fiddle with them till they are sharp looking. Its tedious but the results are well worth it. I did the same technique on the Coelophysis I made. Far better than trying to make each tooth.

Thanks for the comments! Checking out the bone structure of the animal, it is similar to a lot of modern day lizards, so I used my Iguana as somewhat of an example of what to follow for muscle lines.

I've added more color since these pics, its looking rather awesome. :3

great, now i wish i'd use my iguanna for a muscle reference  :'(

thanks for the explanation. i't would be good to know if this technique would help out in future sculpts i plan to make.

also very nice base sculpt looks fitting tor your creations brutish nature

Archinto

I cut the wood for the base using a jigsaw set at an angle, then gathered rocks and sticks from outside, as well as some moss that I had previously collected, cured and dyed. Then glued sand to the base and painted it with tempera.

Archinto

Working on a new model, kinda on a permian kick. Figured I'd try my hand at a Diadectes sculpt. I have not seen a single one online in my searches. The one I am going to try for is Diadectes sideropelicus.

Theres a skeleton of the bad boy in question. I hope I can do it justice.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool, should be a fun one!   

Might have to ask you to give Nothosaurus a go one day, toy/replica companies still pass it up for the most part.

Flaffy

Quote from: Archinto on May 08, 2016, 10:37:47 AM
Working on a new model, kinda on a permian kick. Figured I'd try my hand at a Diadectes sculpt. I have not seen a single one online in my searches. The one I am going to try for is Diadectes sideropelicus.

Theres a skeleton of the bad boy in question. I hope I can do it justice.
Go for it!  ;D We are really lacking Permian figures and models!

Archinto

Heres my progress so far. Believe it or not, Nothosaurus was going to be what I was going to make, but then decided I needed to dig harder and find a critter with no toys/figures made of it. I didnt even find a Diadectes on Urzeitshop...

Diadectes WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

I want to do a Nothosaurus next though. Its one of my faves. :)

Flaffyraptors, I totally agree that there aren't enough permian figures out there. I'd love to be able to cast my figures in bronze eventually, lord knows I have enough access to old bronze working in the maritime industry.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks great!  hah! If you do make a Notho and want to part with it, count me in..I've only the little Safari toob version myself.

Bronze would be a cool way to go!

spinosaurus1

amazing work so far. quite a bulky looking beast

would you mind showing the process on how you sculpt the feet and claws? or if not, give a brief summery on how you did it. it is yet another thing i would be interested in knowing for my recent sculptures. i plan on doing another synapsid once the dimetrodon is finished.

Archinto

I'd be happy to show you my process. I like the dimetrodon you are working on. One thing about sculpey is if you cook it too hot it will warp. You have to bake it at 275 for 15 minutes per quarter inch for optimum results. If you are doing multiple bakes cut the cook time down a little to keep it from burning.

For my sculpts, I use only two tools. A bamboo toothpick that is blunt on one end, and a vintage chromed steel nut pick with a thin curved point on one end and a blunt acorn shaped point on the other. The bamboo makes awesome textures when you use the blunt end for rolling. I used that on my Sphenacodons toenails to get the look it has. I also used the blunt end for the eye sockets and defining the gums and teeth.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Archinto

I've been workin on the lil bugger for a little bit and got a bit further along. I'm really liking his lil fat rolls. :P

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

spinosaurus1

loving the look of this creature thus far. looks like the last creature i ever want to be bitten by

Blade-of-the-Moon

looks just like something I would expect to see crawl out of a primordial swamp!  lol   He does have some great character too.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: