You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs of China exhibition - Nottingham

Started by DinoToyForum, February 19, 2016, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

CONGRATULATIONS, ADAM! Enjoy your honeymoon 'with dinosaurs' and don't forget to check in once in a while!

P.S. "Jolie" sends his congratulations too.  ;)

Patrx

Fantastic; congratulations to both of you!  :)

PhilSauria

Talk about a marriage of social life and professional life - congrats to you both.

Silvanusaurus

Better late than never, I finally got to see the exhibition on Monday, and I'm so glad I did! Rarely does one feel such concentrated awe, from the titanic rearing Mamenchisaurus to the beautifully delicate sleeping Mei Long, to see these relics made me feel like a child astounded at the boundless wonders of life. Wollaton Hall itself was stunning, and I marvelled equally at the taxidermy specimens, the room of birds being particularly pertinent. I knew the exhibition would be good, but I didn't expect to be so overwhelmed by quite so many incredible fossils. This was really something special, and I whole-heartedly hope it has been a great success for everyone involved.

On top of all that, I was amazed to find the big PNSO figures were priced at just £21 each! Which seemed ridiculously cheap, I had to get myself a souvenir and given that i might not have a chance to buy any of them for that kind of price again, I couldn't resist getting the Lufengosaurus, both because it was one of the Dinosaurs actually in the exhibition, and because I was surprised by how large and elegant the figure was in hand. I would have gotten the other two species that were available at that price, as well as a selection of the minis, had I been in good circumstances financially, but alas I could only afford the one.
Interestingly, on the day i visited the Sun happened to have taken on a dulled hazy red hue, due to dust brought over by the storm Ophelia, and it created an eerie leaden atmosphere of gestating apocalyptic portent, which seemed quite apt.

Anyway, here are a few of the photos i took that came out ok:

Reptilia

What a beautiful place is the actual location of the exhibition.

DinoToyForum

Silvanusaurus, I'm so glad you made it, even more glad you enjoyed it!

---

Thanks to everyone for the wedding congratulations  O:-)

ricbrig

First of all, congratulations for the wedding!

I went to the exhibition yesterday and I found it really good. As said before it is very well focused and so many interesting species. It was the first time I saw feather impressions on fossils and it was really impressive.
I will go back by myself for a second visit during the week. Not only to give a better look but for buying one of the PNSO Euhelopus.

Also I was really happy to see an upcoming Jurassic Nottingham (permanent) exhibition. I am really interested in seeing that. Will our faculty Ichthyosaurus be shown there?

Ric

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ricbrig on October 23, 2017, 07:42:03 AM

I went to the exhibition yesterday and I found it really good. As said before it is very well focused and so many interesting species. It was the first time I saw feather impressions on fossils and it was really impressive.
I will go back by myself for a second visit during the week. Not only to give a better look but for buying one of the PNSO Euhelopus.

Also I was really happy to see an upcoming Jurassic Nottingham (permanent) exhibition. I am really interested in seeing that. Will our faculty Ichthyosaurus be shown there?

Ric

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition. The feathers are the actual organic remains, not just impressions. 8)

Are you referring to the Protoichthyosaurus applebyi named by Dean Lomax and currently on disolay at Lakeside? Maybe! Are you based at the uni?

ricbrig

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 23, 2017, 06:10:16 PM
Quote from: ricbrig on October 23, 2017, 07:42:03 AM

Ric

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the exhibition. The feathers are the actual organic remains, not just impressions. 8)

Are you referring to the Protoichthyosaurus applebyi named by Dean Lomax and currently on disolay at Lakeside? Maybe! Are you based at the uni?

Yes I am based at the Uni and yes I mean the Protoichthyosaurus applebyi that is at Lakeside.

DinoToyForum

This Sunday is the last day of the exhibition before it closes and the dinosaurs go back to China. If you haven't been yet, this is your last chance!

Jose S.M.

I wish I could see it, but I have to cross the ocean for that  :'( :P

Lanthanotus

Unfortunately I haven't been able (and won't be able on the morrow) to see that great exhibition. Thanks for all the pictures, I really envy everyone who could make it to Wollaton and I find it the more sad and astonishing that you could get this exhibition there when no other museum in Europe could - one would expect for all the efforts to organize such an exibition adn transport it from China, another museum in Europe would take on a chance to get it displayed aswell.

Everything_Dinosaur

And so the Dinosaurs of China has come to an end.  Just writing to congratulate all involved in helping to bring this fantastic exhibition to the UK.  Well done to all, everyone involved in this project should be immensely proud of their achievement.

DinoToyForum

The Dinosaurs of China are long gone but we've preserved the exhibition for perpetuity. If you weren't able to visit, or if you want to see it again, now you can experience the exhibition virtually. It is free. The doll's house view is pretty cool, try it.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QZ2DPMV1zti

Lanthanotus

Aww, you had this adorable Psittacosaurus model there :D

Thanks for preserving this exciting exhibition and making it publicly available.

Lanthanotus

Oh man,.... I even more regret that I missed that. You went through great length on this exhibition it seems, the images and tour is amazing and I find it particularly nice how you integrated and decorated the already existing parts of the exhibition into this temporary setup. And those dioramas, especially of song and garden birds are top notch, wished the local museum which was renovated for 5 years would boast such exquisite samples.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 30, 2017, 07:37:48 PM
Aww, you had this adorable Psittacosaurus model there :D

Thanks for preserving this exciting exhibition and making it publicly available.

Yes, thanks to Bob Nicholls. It was a friendly face to welcome visitors through the back door entrance :)

Glad you enjoyed the virtual exhibition!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 30, 2017, 03:20:38 PM
The Dinosaurs of China are long gone but we've preserved the exhibition for perpetuity. If you weren't able to visit, or if you want to see it again, now you can experience the exhibition virtually. It is free. The doll's house view is pretty cool, try it.

Wow, that's really cool!  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 30, 2017, 03:20:38 PM

Those bird specimens make me regret not going to the exhibition even more. 

DinoToyForum

The Nottingham Natural History Museum is back to normal, but it might be of interest that we still have PNSO stock in the Wollaton Hall shop. Entry to Wollaton Hall, including the Nottingham Natural History Museum, is now free again. We also have a small temporary exhibition on at the moment of Jurassic fossils (in the cases that the Dinosaurs of China were in!).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: