News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anything Psittacosaurus

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, May 24, 2012, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

I'm guessing those are from excavation and he's basing the reconstruction off of tianyulong.  Don't get me wrong, it could have very likely have had quills being related to tianyulong and all just they weren't in this particular specimen or at least that's what Dr. Thomas Holtz announced yesterday about the find.  Are quills talked about specifically in the paper itself?  I haven't gotten a chance to read it myself yet.

wings

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 05, 2012, 08:41:10 AM
I would assume Sereno had Some reason for reconstructing it that way? .Sereno himself stated it was ...."part vampire and part porcupine" which suggests he had solid evidence to suggest that reconstruction. Or is he just speculating based on Tianyulong? Here is the actual fossil, from Sereno's paper...notice the lines radiating from the fossil....The lighter ones appear to be from the fossil prepping, but what about those really dark deep ones towards the upper part of the picture? Quills or just patterning in the matrix?
I just skimmed through the paper, and all we have of Pegomastax is a partial skull, left and right dentaries and left predentary. As for the radiating lines, these are just lines created from preparation (most likely from the air scribe). Just double click on figure 82 from the online paper and you will see those scratching marks. If you scroll down to figure 101, the caption actually said these bristles are based on Tianyulong which is the only published integument for the heterodontosaurid group. So it is just a likely assumption rather than based on fossil found of this particular animal.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: wings on October 05, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 05, 2012, 08:41:10 AM
I would assume Sereno had Some reason for reconstructing it that way? .Sereno himself stated it was ...."part vampire and part porcupine" which suggests he had solid evidence to suggest that reconstruction. Or is he just speculating based on Tianyulong? Here is the actual fossil, from Sereno's paper...notice the lines radiating from the fossil....The lighter ones appear to be from the fossil prepping, but what about those really dark deep ones towards the upper part of the picture? Quills or just patterning in the matrix?
I just skimmed through the paper, and all we have of Pegomastax is a partial skull, left and right dentaries and left predentary. As for the radiating lines, these are just lines created from preparation (most likely from the air scribe). Just double click on figure 82 from the online paper and you will see those scratching marks. If you scroll down to figure 101, the caption actually said these bristles are based on Tianyulong which is the only published integument for the heterodontosaurid group. So it is just a likely assumption rather than based on fossil found of this particular animal.

Ah thank you. 

wings

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 05, 2012, 09:56:18 AM
Had forgotten to say thanks for sharing the paper Wings, you are always so helpful. I read them all and save them once I figure out how to download them as well so thanks again .
@amargasaurus cazaui
just in case you could not work out how to download it, here is the link (http://www.pensoft.net/J_FILES/1/articles/2840/2840-G-4-layout.pdf) of the paper (the smaller 25M version).

Balaur

I was just thinking about the different species of Psittacosaurus, one of my top 5 favourite herbivorous dinosaurs,  and decided to share a photo of my favourite Psittacosaurus species. You may have seen this one. Tell me what you think.  ;)

Oh, and it's P. sibiricus. Enjoy!  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Have to love the head gear for that little guy. The jugals on mine just out just like it is drawn there, too.Mine is not the same species but I think this one has perhaps the most interesting skull of the species of known Psittacosaurus, thanks for sharing him. He will be taken good care of over here.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

No problem! I love sharing my favourite dinosaurs in any way I can.  ;)

tyrantqueen

There's a bizarre looking chinasaur Psittacosaurus in this lot. A bit on the cartoony side, but the title of the thread is "anything Psittacosaurus", is it not? :) ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-large-heavy-plastic-dinosaurs-/271085633826?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3f1df68122

amargasaurus cazaui

Oh that is hysterical. I would have loved to bid on it too, but its not offered on the American Ebay site at all. Ugh
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

That psittacosaurus is funny, his hands are even sculpted properly !!!. If anyone in the UK would you like to work something out, I would love to get my hands on that psittacosaurus, thanks. This Psittacosaurus is the largest toy I have seen of this species. He also has neutral hands !! Despite some paint wear and a small tip missing from a claw, he is a wonderful addition to my collection. It also bears mentioning that tyrant queen was the one who located it and led me to it, so a thanks is in order, and given.

SO here the guy is, fresh from the UK. Tyrantqueen originally spotted this fellow for sale in a lot on Ebay, open only to UK bidders. I had put out a call for help here landing the lot, but was able to persuade the seller to accept my bid and sell to me. I forfeited the rest of the lot, due to shipping considerations and had the Psittacosaurus sent. He arrived with some paint wear and one damaged claw, but otherwise none the worse for his ordeal. What is truly amazing is his size, and he seems to be one of the few psittacosaur toys with neutral hands. I named him Rocky, and as you can see he is rather larger.

Here, "Rocky" and "Smudge" discuss the merits of co-habitatation. Smudge does not seem impressed !

tyrantqueen

amargasaurus cazaui

I thought I would share something Martin Garratt did for me. I sent him a picture of a koreaceratops I liked, and asked if he could recreate the patterns and colors on a psittacosaurus. I then sent him another psittacosaurus and asked him to choose how to repaint it.
Then I asked him to base the two together.....I was amazed at the results.

amargasaurus cazaui

While you hear alot about the famous Psittacosaurus fossil with quills (SMF R 4970) you do not get to hear very much about another specimen that has some very amazing preservation and information to offer.
(MV 53)
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/275/1636/775.full

amargasaurus cazaui

Found this picture while scouring the net today. While not a Psittacosaurus, it is a distant relative, the Triceratops. The picture is of a cast of the skin impression from Triceratops Lane, the specimen that has given rise to speculation the dinosaur had quills. The two large scales you see with raised centers are the cause of the debate....the speculation is they served as attachment points for elongated quills. Thoughts? I can see the logic in the assumption myself..it looks quite plausible.

tyrantqueen

Very interesting. I personally like the idea that they were spiky barbs, maybe covered in keratin, which could have served as part of the animal's natural defenses. See here:

Simon

That makes much more sense to me than believing that it had long quills like a porcupine perhaps (?)  An animal that size?  Don't think so.  Spikes OTOH appeared so many times in so many species because of their defensive advantages. 

So why not in ceratopsians?  The one thing that strikes me about that Trike skin print is how large the back scales are - I am sure they were bone-toughened.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 04, 2013, 08:29:53 AM
Very interesting. I personally like the idea that they were spiky barbs, maybe covered in keratin, which could have served as part of the animal's natural defenses. See here:

Either hypothesis seems quite possible at this point......I believe the main evidence given for them to be bases for extended quills was the psittacosaurs specimen found with quills as well as Tianyulong, which were both clearly quilled. I like how the spiky barbs look in your example as well....quite possible.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: wings on November 15, 2013, 05:59:03 AM
Nothing really new but just more photos.

http://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/the-filamented-psittacosaurus/
Awesome Wings, I did have any pictures quite that clear or easy to study of the dinosaur before.Some of those are quite spectacular. I am not going to be surprised if someone guesses how to interpret the dinosaur's coloration yet from this fossil, as well.

wings

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 15, 2013, 08:08:58 AM
Quote from: wings on November 15, 2013, 05:59:03 AM
Nothing really new but just more photos.

http://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/the-filamented-psittacosaurus/
Awesome Wings, I did have any pictures quite that clear or easy to study of the dinosaur before.Some of those are quite spectacular. I am not going to be surprised if someone guesses how to interpret the dinosaur's coloration yet from this fossil, as well.
Hone's interpretation of these filament is also interesting "...Sprouting up off the base of the tail and extending most of the way along its (incomplete) length... certainly appear to have stopped appearing well short of the end of the tail, so their full extent does appear to have been preserved.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: