You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Thank you Halichoeres. Yes I do like to enjoy a showcased view of new arrivals before they go behind glass. But it's also practical. I don't like to put new models in the display cases until I have entered them on my Excel sheet and filed my paperwork. Otherwise they might slip through the net.  It's different for things that are custom painted and have custom bases, as they are not easily dusted! I try to get them behind glass within a couple of days or so.

Flaffy

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 16, 2018, 08:28:32 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on July 16, 2018, 08:13:29 PM

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 16, 2018, 07:00:47 PM
Martin currently has my CollectA Dimetrodon and Estemmenosuchus to repaint and create modest bases for them ....

New colours are definitely needed on these two. I refused to buy them although I'm a huge Dimetrodon fan.
       Maybe I'll change my opinion after seing your garrattized versions :) .
Talking about sculpture, the Collecta Dimetrodon is way better than Safari.
It only need a serious painting job (the actual one is so unreal  :-\ ).
And no one is better than Martin Garratt about seriously upgrading a figure..  8)
I'm curious too  ;)

:)
Definitely curious to see how well they turn out after a shiny new paint job, especially the estemmenosuchus.
Maybe I'll consider sending Martin my Estemmenosuchus for a repaint as well  ::) . How does one contact Martin? And are his prices reasonable?

ceratopsian

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy: Martin can be contacted via the UMF e-mail (his firm is UMF Models): [email protected].  His business partner, Marilyn, answers client enquiries.  She is very easy to deal with and very efficient.  Price-wise - I think Martin is very good value, but judging whether something is reasonable is always very personal!  I'll PM you with more details.

ceratopsian

As a lover of herbivorous dinosaurs, I didn't just order the Mantellisaurus from the CollectA 2018 lineup.  I also bought the Iguanodon.  I hadn't been especially excited when I saw the stock photos but once people began posting pictures of their models, I took a great deal more notice of it.  I think it's a fabulous model and one of the best of the year - big enough to impress with its bulk, beautiful texture, a decent paint job.  What more could a collector ask for? 

It's perhaps a little unfair to post images of the Toyway NHM Iguanodon at the same time, but I still have a great affection for this older style toy in a more nostalgic sort of way.  I picked him up cheaply on-line earlier this year.

And continuing the slightly old-fashioned more nostalgic theme, here's another summer arrival - the now retired Wild Safari Edmontosaurus.  He seems to be taking a tail swipe at some unseen carnivore!

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new Ceraptosian figures. The iguanodon of Collecta is one of my favorite figures of dinosaurs this year.

On the other hand I am glad that you have the iguanodon of Toyway to me it was very difficult for me to get it and I got it thanks to postsaurischian a member of the forum that I will always be grateful to him since he is a very rare figure to find by the eBay market.

As for the edmontosaurus removed from Safari is another iguanodontido figure that is a masterpiece along with the other two mentioned. It is a pity that it is also discontinued.

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus: thank you!  We are lucky to be collecting now when so many beautiful figures are available to us. We are also lucky to have the Forum where we have friends to help us. 😊

PhilSauria

Great pics and nice additions to any collection. There are plenty of Iguanodons out there and some pretty decent renditions among them but the new Collecta would have to be one of the best.
I have a bit of a herd accumulated thus far; looks like the Recur and Carnegie are having an altercation!

Shonisaurus

Fortunately the iguanodon is a dinosaur figure quite well treated in the toy market. We can not say the same the collectors with figures of iguanodontes like the muttaburrasaurus and the ouranosaurus whose figures are unfortunately very little treated in the toy market.

ceratopsian

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria: a nice herd.  The Carnegie looks distinctly shocked by whatever Recur has said!

ceratopsian

Earlier this week I had a package come over from avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.  Here's what was inside:

This is the rarest of the four Kaiyodo Siamosaurus variants and one I wasn't sure I'd ever own.  I bought the other three from Brett a while ago - here they are circling the new arrival:

And here it is fully accepted by the flock:

While on the topic of Halichoeres' role in improving my collection: earlier this year he made one of my dreams come true when he sold me the Battat Triceratops.  I was worried it might get lost in the post - Murphy's Law and all that.  But all was well.  It didn't disappoint.  I love it!

While on the subject of dreams coming true and Battat, here's a couple of photos of the Maiasaura.  I acquired this on eBay earlier this year.  Again, it was everything I hoped for.  I have an especial fondness for Maiasaura.  I'm old enough to remember the great excitement of the egg site being discovered by Jack Horner and how it changed our view of dinosaur behaviour.  I still have the book, "Digging Dinosaurs", which I see I purchased in December 1991!

Just dashed off to take a quick snap of the book too to add to my more careful photos!

Jose S.M.

Congrats on those figures! The Maiasaura is one of my most wanted figures.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations both the maiasaura and the triceratops of Battat cost me a lot to find them. I had to bid quite a lot of money to demarxo in relation to the maiasaura and as for the triceratops in my case I had to bid enough to get one of the four best toy triceratops of all time, for the second or third best.

I'm glad for you.

ceratopsian

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.: thank you.  The Maiasaura deserves its reputation.  I think it is also helped by an unusual colour scheme that makes it different.  Hope you find one eventually!

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus: thank you!  I too had several attempts to acquire the Triceratops and Maiasaura in auctions.  I think I bid against you once and lost!

Halichoeres

Great stuff! I'm glad I could contribute. And very nice photographs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

The beautiful Battat Triceratops is one of those timeless figures.
  It will always be seeked after by ceratopsian lovers :) . A must-have!

Bokisaurus

Nice group, you finally got that mighty Iguanodon :D
Those mini Kaiyodos are awesome, just wish they were a tad bigger, the details on them are simply awesome to be in miniature :))

BrontoScorpio

For some reasom I like best the Iguanodons of 1. SCHLEICH, 2. Toyway WWD and 3. Toyway NHM.

Maybe it's their 'vintage' odor ...

In any case, I know the Toyway NHM is especially hard to get.
I envy you for the olive Siamotyrannus -

this 4th version is the rarest of this type.

ceratopsian

Still catching up on posting my acquisitions over the summer: I realised quite by chance that Everything Dinosaur had stocks of the Bullyland Lambeosaurus.  So I had one put aside to come to me with my order of the Eofauna Straight-Tusked Elephant (and a few other items).  I like hadrosaurids and there aren't too many around in toy form.  I have very few Bullyland toys.

Looking a little quizzical!

And walking towards me looking rather curious!

ceratopsian

I had a little more time available than I thought today, so here's a second dose of new acquisitions....

Despite my problems with the tree leaning badly, I liked the BotM forest accessory pack and also the wetlands pack so much that I decided I would be foolish not to buy the desert pack while it was still available.  I tend to feel the accessory packs are really quite expensive for what they are, which was why I had initially ordered only two.  Anyway, I was really keen to have the Mononykus, as I have no other alvarezsaurids, toy or "posh" model, in my collection.  So it came last month in a package along with the above-posted Lambeosaurus and the Straight-Tusked Elephant.  I'm still somewhat ambivalent about seeing the joints so clearly on articulated models, but I like the diorama.  I found the Mononykus is a little inclined to lean forwards without some support, but the Protoceratops skull comes in handy for hiding the little pole under his tail!

Halichoeres

Your Mononykus seems to have a nice straight set of maxillae! Glad they've worked out that particular kink. I feel as you do about joints, but it's pretty hard to forgo the only alvarezsaurid around.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: