You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I had planned to post something else today, but I was too taken with my newly arrived PNSO larger Spinops to persevere with that original notion.  As I said on the PNSO thread, I'm totally in love with it.  I love the heft and bulk of it in my hand. I'm very happy that PNSO now produces animals that are well fed - some of the earliest releases looked starving!   I love the colour scheme - I have no objection to green dinosaurs, and the tannish fawn works really well with it.  There's great attention to detail - OK, there is the odd very small flaw in the paint (which close-up photos will emphasise), but overall I think it's a great effort by the factory.  I like the way the horns are not a solid colour; I like the way the back of the frill is patterned; the little eye is well done.

What I like most is the way the animal looks so alive - it is full of movement and muscle being worked.  But it isn't over-dramatic either, just an animal going about its normal routine.  I like the elegant gentle curvature of the body, the right foreleg just leaving the ground, the sagging skin of the belly caused by the movement back and forth of the legs.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres tells us it's about 1:20.  I like to know the approximate scale of my dinosaurs, but I don't mind what scale has been chosen.

In short, I'm really hoping that PNSO will put out more dinosaurs in this range - especially quadrupedal herbivores!

Here's some photos:

In the next one, you can see 2019 stamped on the inside of the far hindleg:

And a couple with the miniature PNSO Spinops:

Shonisaurus

It is a figure the spinops of PNSO (fortunately I have it) in a size more than acceptable and the most important is a rare ceraptodoside in the toy market and very well made, the only defect that I see in that figure that has very few layers of paint and is very tending to suffer abrasions without needing to suffer any fall as it happens to me with the dakosaurus. For the rest it is a figure with a five star rating and I recommend it together with the dakosaurus for its low price and its beautiful and cool modeling. Figures the spinops and the dakosaurus very dynamic.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 07, 2019, 06:22:08 PM
It is a figure the spinops of PNSO (fortunately I have it) in a size more than acceptable and the most important is a rare ceraptodoside in the toy market and very well made, the only defect that I see in that figure that has very few layers of paint and is very tending to suffer abrasions without needing to suffer any fall as it happens to me with the dakosaurus. For the rest it is a figure with a five star rating and I recommend it together with the dakosaurus for its low price and its beautiful and cool modeling. Figures the spinops and the dakosaurus very dynamic.

Thank you for the warning - I will not let it fall!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 07, 2019, 06:38:43 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 07, 2019, 06:22:08 PM

Thank you for the warning - I will not let it fall!

To me the spinosaurus and dakosaurus have not fallen down but suffer abrasions just by the mere rubbing with other dinosaurs on the shelves. As happened to me in his day with the deinotherium of Bullyland that I had to repaint, or the mastodonsaurus of Bullyland or even with the velociraptor of Safari made years ago (I mean the velociraptor without feathers). It is not problem of abrasions of paint by fall the problem lies in the friction with other figures even if it is slight. It's the sad reality.  :(

ceratopsian

Halichoeres

It's a great figure, and its unheralded release caught us all off-balance in a really delightful way.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

acro-man

PNSO's herbivores are always exciting. What I like most is that they can hardly go wrong in terms of accuracy. Secondly, they have Zhao Chuang to supervise the paint and dynamics. The real problem mainly comes from the factory - either the designers haven't fully studied the paint on the prototypes (nails on the Amargasaurus hands, evilish eyes of wilson and doyle, teeth over lips of Dakosaurus, muddy Spinosaurus...), or the overseer doesn't bother to examine the samples before making them final products. If more care has been taken into the production phase, like Papo does, PNSO will be truly "king of dinosaurs" (the nickname translated from their Chinese brand name).
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ceratopsian

Quote from: acro-man on July 09, 2019, 02:58:40 PM
PNSO's herbivores are always exciting. What I like most is that they can hardly go wrong in terms of accuracy. Secondly, they have Zhao Chuang to supervise the paint and dynamics. The real problem mainly comes from the factory - either the designers haven't fully studied the paint on the prototypes (nails on the Amargasaurus hands, evilish eyes of wilson and doyle, teeth over lips of Dakosaurus, muddy Spinosaurus...), or the overseer doesn't bother to examine the samples before making them final products. If more care has been taken into the production phase, like Papo does, PNSO will be truly "king of dinosaurs" (the nickname translated from their Chinese brand name).

I agree that the PNSO factory paint job could sometimes be better.  I hope to see improvement to take them that notch higher - but fear that more quality control might cost the consumer more.

I am also mindful that in terms of current cost, they are good value for what you get.  I have just purchased the Wild Safari Stegosaurus in the UK.  It cost me £17.99 plus a further £3.15 postage and packing (and is going to Martin for a re-paint.)  Wild Safari models (as a whole) have a very basic, simple factory paint scheme.  I think that PNSO, despite the flaws we can identify, is way ahead of what Safari can offer in terms of factory paint job.  I guess the UK price (converted from amazon  US dollars) for my Spinops, including postage, was around £16-£17.  Papo - I can't say too much here, as I have very few no Papo models, though I guess I'll get the Diabloceratops in due course when I make my next order from Everything Dinosaur.  But even this Diabloceratops, judging from photographs, has a much less naturalistic and complex paint scheme than PNSO's Spinops.

Fenestra

Do you mean Papo's Pentaceratops, or perhaps Schleich's new Diabloceratops?
Papo never made a Diablo.

ceratopsian

Oops. My error!  I meant of course the Schleich. Sorry and thank you.

Quote from: Fenestra on July 09, 2019, 09:34:02 PM
Do you mean Papo's Pentaceratops, or perhaps Schleich's new Diabloceratops?
Papo never made a Diablo.

acro-man

Yeah, you are right. I have been too greedy to want the best without paying big.
PNSO is aiming for children. Imagine I was a boy of 8 and I have these fantastic PNSO dinos in hand, I would be laughing all year with my parents happy too cos they only paid a little to get those. What's more to like?
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Bokisaurus

Wow, what a coincidence  ;D I'm about to publish my review of  both the Spinops versions on the blog! ;D They are so beautiful figures and actually go nicely together!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 09, 2019, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: acro-man on July 09, 2019, 02:58:40 PM

I agree that the PNSO factory paint job could sometimes be better.  I hope to see improvement to take them that notch higher - but fear that more quality control might cost the consumer more.

I am also mindful that in terms of current cost, they are good value for what you get.  I have just purchased the Wild Safari Stegosaurus in the UK.  It cost me £17.99 plus a further £3.15 postage and packing (and is going to Martin for a re-paint.)  Wild Safari models (as a whole) have a very basic, simple factory paint scheme.  I think that PNSO, despite the flaws we can identify, is way ahead of what Safari can offer in terms of factory paint job.  I guess the UK price (converted from amazon  US dollars) for my Spinops, including postage, was around £16-£17.  Papo - I can't say too much here, as I have very few no Papo models, though I guess I'll get the Diabloceratops in due course when I make my next order from Everything Dinosaur.  But even this Diabloceratops, judging from photographs, has a much less naturalistic and complex paint scheme than PNSO's Spinops.
I totally agree with you on the paint job. The blending and application is just beautiful and fluid compared to the really basic and thick paint application seen in many Safari figures.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 27, 2019, 07:56:20 PM
Thank you, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus and avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.

B @Bokisaurus - I've tried out taking some group photos, here's the results.  I have the feeling that the Edaphosaurus looks seriously disgruntled at his carnivorous company!

In all seriousness, they make an excellent display group.

Thank you so much for sharing the trio of repainted figures! Wow, Amazing to see them all together. You can really appreciate how beautiful these figures really are. You have a very unique collection :)

ceratopsian

The postman has been again with a box!  This time it contained another of Lu Feng Shan's wonderful ceratopsians.  This is my third - you can see his Achelousaurus and Rubeoceratops earlier in this thread.  This time I chose Utahceratops.   As usual, it went to Martin Garratt for assembly, painting and basing.  Here are some photos of the result:

If you want to see images of the other two models, visit my Flickr Lu Feng Shan album, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157710073814106

Halichoeres

I always enjoy your new additions. This lovely Utahan is no exception.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

That's a beautiful ceratopsid! a real treat to my eyes since ceratopsids are my favorites!

ceratopsian

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 05, 2019, 06:35:53 PM
That's a beautiful ceratopsid! a real treat to my eyes since ceratopsids are my favorites!

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.: a passion we share!  avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow: Martin is a true artist, it doesn't matter whether I ask him to follow his own inspiration or give him more specific instructions, the result is always beautiful.  avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres: thank you!

Fenestra

Congratulations! What a wonderful model! Great action. Great pose.
And the colours are really nice and vibrant. Especially on the back.
If I had that in my collection, I probably would be gazing at it a lot.

A
lot.
;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: