You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

Simply beautiful! Only when you know how big the model is in your hand can you appreciate the work of Mr. Garratt. Incredible!

ceratopsian

Thank you for the comments on the pair of Velociraptors.

Today's model is the final Shapeways print of the three I purchased from Wild Past, our own avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector. Like the other two, this was painted and based by Martin Garratt, and like everything else in Wild Past's line, it is 1:35 in scale.  It's much the largest of the three, though still not what you would call "large" by any means.  From nose tip to tail tip he's about 18 cm (a bit more if you measure along the spine, as his head is turned to the side).

This is a fans' choice model: DinoToyCollector asked on-line for suggestions and said that he would choose one to produce on the basis of how popular the suggestions were with other fans.  I was really keen to have a Lufengosaurus – but no luck.  One day, one day, I promise myself.....  Still, I was very happy to see that he chose Tenontosaurus.  As was pointed out, we usually see this as terrified prey or already dead, so one going about its daily life and not under immediate threat from a pack of hungry Deinonychus was an attractive choice for me! 

When I first saw the finished sculpture, I almost changed my mind and didn't buy it.  Not because I didn't like it, I did – but the tail looked very long indeed, and very slender as you moved away from the body.  (Of course this should not have come as a surprise – Tenontosaurus is well known for the relative length of its tail, not just for the stiffened tendons along its back and tail for which it was named.)  The tail looked like an accident waiting to happen (and I had had a rather traumatic experience not long before with something expensive that smashed horribly in the post).  But I overcame my fears of breakage and ordered it.  It arrived perfectly preserved.

Should you want hi-res or more images, go to my Flickr album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157716806725347

Back to larger models next time - and I still have a backlog to photograph.

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian My congratulations, magnificent repainting of tenontosaurus. I like repaints better for more conservative figures like the dinosaur you have shown. As always and I know I repeat, Martin Garratt does his job in an outstanding way.

Libraraptor

Models like these are a class of their own!

As to the Velociraptors: I do not know any other mating scene model/figure yet. Is there even any?

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus.  I too think there is a lot to be said for some conservative patterns on dinosaurs.

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor.  I don't know of any other mating figures commercially available.  I doubt any toys have ever been produced, because of them being suitable for children.  I think that someone might have adapted a kit before.

Halichoeres

Another winner. I like the bold markings on the tail tip. And of course a relief to see Tenontosaurus able to relax for a moment for once.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

:) Thats a very beautiful Tenontosaurus! I love the orange colour choice and the abdominal white dots on the sides.
To my taste the model shows itself at its best in your first pic. I like the very long tail.

ceratopsian

You are quite right about the first photo, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian (and Marilyn agrees with you too).

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 15, 2020, 11:07:41 PM
:) Thats a very beautiful Tenontosaurus! I love the orange colour choice and the abdominal white dots on the sides.
To my taste the model shows itself at its best in your first pic. I like the very long tail.

Bokisaurus

Great new additions, those shapeways look absolutely awesome. I can't imagine having to paint those super tiny one!
I'm trying to "convince " my husband to get them for me for Christmas 😂

ceratopsian

Work hard at it!  They are definitely worth it!   :D

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 16, 2020, 03:50:11 PM
Great new additions, those shapeways look absolutely awesome. I can't imagine having to paint those super tiny one!
I'm trying to "convince " my husband to get them for me for Christmas 😂

triceratops83

Love the colours on that Tenontosaurus. I've started painting mine in metallic colours because it looks kinda like a skink.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

ceratopsian

I look forward to seeing your version of the Tenontosaurus, avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83!

My plans to take more photos were halted by a week of problems with our electrics.  We had a rat come inside the garage to escape torrential rain and it chomped several times on a live wire, resulting in all our plug circuits flicking off periodically.  It took a while to pin down what had happened. 

Not a Martin Garratt model today – although he became involved.  I ordered this Triceratops back in July but it proved an exceedingly painful experience – fortunately one with a happy ending.  However, it was sufficiently painful that only now do I feel able to write about it.

I had come across Esquizooic Artes plásticas principally through the wonderful fish base of avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres'.  Around the same time I'd found them on Facebook and they were also featured in the Prehistoric Times.  The sculptor is Daniel Mendoza, who is based in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.  I liked his work. 

Then a little later I saw this Triceratops advertised.  It had vibrancy and vividness.  It reminded me just a bit of the brilliant palette of Luis Rey – but more understated.  It also reminded me of the Mexican tradition of ceramic folk art. I had had some stitches removed from my eye and felt I deserved a treat, as I had been terrified of having the procedure done.  So I took the plunge.  The model was about 30 cm long, so not too large to find a space in my cabinets.

When the box arrived in late August, I knew immediately that something was badly wrong.  It was in poor shape.  It had tape round it declaring "Border Force".  So it had clearly been opened, presumably to search for drugs, given its origin.  I looked inside.  The model was engulfed in a tight and thick layer of cling film – but there was no padding in the box to speak off, just a couple of shreds.  Heart in mouth, I began to peel off the shrink wrapping.  That wasn't easy, as it had stuck fast as if glued to one of the legs.  Despite my best efforts to gently tease it off, some paint came away.  The cling film had gone rigid – I'm not sure if it had been put on when the paint or varnish was slightly tacky, or whether it was the result of getting too cold/too hot etc.  I then saw that all three weight-bearing legs had broken right through.  They were still attached, as the model was made of a thin layer of ceramic over a wire armature.  The breaks weren't clean – very uneven and jagged.  Several toes had come off completely.  The tail was broken.  It was not something I could mend myself.

The problem lay in how the model had been originally packed.  The artist had chosen to stabilise it standing upright within the box, held in place by a complicated series of plastic ties – which is why I think it was wrapped in cling film, to stop the paintwork being abraded.  Customs had cut the ties to inspect the model.  Once cut, there was no way they could re-attach them.  There was no other padding in the box.  So they just laid it inside and shut the box.

I was desperately upset, but not cross.  My contact at the firm said they always packed things like this.  I assumed that it was the first time they had sent something to the UK, and they probably didn't have much experience of sending models abroad. Then I discovered by sheer chance that earlier in the summer, they had sent a Tyrannosaurus rex to the UK and it had suffered fairly catastrophic breakage.  So they knew there was a potential problem but had done absolutely nothing to change the way they packaged their goods in order to avoid similar disasters in the future.

I got in touch with the other owner, who said his had been mended perfectly by a porcelain restorer.  But it cost a massive amount of money – considerably more than the (expensive!) model.  I wasn't prepared to take that route.  I was feeling too sore about the whole purchase.

So I got in touch with Martin.  I wondered if he might be able to mend the breaks himself (and touch up the paintwork damaged by the cling film), or if he could recommend someone.  He said he would try, but couldn't guarantee the results because thin ceramics are difficult.

I didn't have a box big enough – but I had a few things due from Martin, so Marilyn sent them in a very big box that I could re-use.  (I hadn't realised how expensive it would be to actually buy a new box!)  I was worried sick about packing it, in case it suffered yet more damage.  But eventually I plucked up my courage and sent it off.  Contrary to my expectation, it arrived with horns and frill intact.  And to my great joy, Martin successfully restored the model to its former glory.  It survived the journey back to me – another process that caused my heart to migrate to my mouth.  But Marilyn is a mistress of packing fragile models.  I put it straight onto a shelf in my cabinets and it's taken me many weeks to get up the courage to bring it out again to photograph it.

Photographing it reminded me of why I bought it in the first place.  I love the strong colours and the texture.  I love its vigorous pose.  All is well that ends well!

And some snaps of the damage....

If you want hi-resolution or further views, here's my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157717025107401

Bokisaurus

Wow, that is one horrifying ordeal to get this model! But glad it had a happy ending!
It's a beautiful model and I can't believe it's porcelain! Never thought that it could hold that much details.

Love the colors, right up my alley😂
A very well deserved treat despite the horrific ordeal!

ceratopsian

Yes, "ordeal" is the right word!  But time and distance heal, and it looks wonderful now.  I'm not sure about the technicalities of "porcelain" as opposed to other things made of clay.  Hence I called it by the much vaguer term of "ceramic".  It doesn't have the lustre or fineness of porcelain.  But it's some sort of fired clay I believe.  There was something of a language barrier!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 27, 2020, 05:36:22 PM
Wow, that is one horrifying ordeal to get this model! But glad it had a happy ending!
It's a beautiful model and I can't believe it's porcelain! Never thought that it could hold that much details.

Love the colors, right up my alley😂
A very well deserved treat despite the horrific ordeal!

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian My congratulations on your new triceratops and for the double happy ending the first that you have been able to restore the device to take photos after the power problems you had and the most important for the tremendous restoration of the damaged and broken triceratops by Martin Garratt has you It was magnificent and I am very happy for you. That is one of my reasons why I always prefer PVC or vinyl figures over resin ones. They are very beautiful but they carry those risks.

It reminds me of that triceratops in terms of its color to the Eofauna triceratops scheduled for April.

Turacoverdin

I'm likewise heartened to read of the happy ending to this tale of misfortune haha. Mr. Garrat is a true craftsman.

It's a very striking model indeed, the fine detail is most impressive. Thanks for sharing in spite of all the troubles.

postsaurischian

Because you've started your post with "Not a Martin Garratt model today – although he became involved" I haven't been too worried during reading the story (although I could feel the pain :P ) because I know that Doctor Martin is the man for such things. I once made a bad experience decapitating my Krentz Einiosaurus and sent the patient to Martin. It came back just the way it had been before the damage.

Your new Triceratops has a wonderful proud & dynamic pose - I love him, he found his way to the right collection :) .

Halichoeres

That is a harrowing story, but I'm glad to hear that Martin was able to rescue it for you! I found the suspension method quite ingenious, and it got my fish to me intact, but of course it relies on customs agents keeping the cat's cradle intact. I think customs is a little less zealous here. Anyway, beautiful sculpture and I'm glad you can enjoy it in peace now.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

You described one of my worst nightmare.
Until now I've been lucky: I received just few resins with only minor damages (the kind of damages I was able to fix by myself).
Martin did the miracle as usual  O:-)
Nice acquisition  8)

ceratopsian

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian - I remembered the tale of your Einiosaurus accident when I saw the damage to my Triceratops.  That made me hope that Martin could manage to mend it. Thank you!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - yes, the suspension method is ingenious.  But the UK is really hot on inspecting packages.  They don't keep them long and there isn't usually much of a delay - but they are very zealous!

Thank you too to avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow - nightmare indeed.  You have been very lucky in view of the size of your collection.

Thanks too to T @Turacoverdin and avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus.  Martin did indeed work a miracle this time.

It's interesting, but telling the tale to the forum removed any lingering, residual pain.  I am now completely happy when I look at my Triceratops!

Today's model is a repaint of a CollectA model, but not by Martin this time.  I've seen quite a bit of Ben Van Steenberge's work on the various dinosaur groups I dip into on the dreaded Facebook.  I particularly liked his repaint of the Supreme line Caiuajara when he showed it off.  This really is a bit of a guilty pleasure, as I already had a lovely repaint by Martin and I try (not always successfully!) to avoid duplicates.  But I couldn't resist it when he offered it for sale.  I particularly liked the restricted palette and the soft blue/grey background colour in combination with the rich browns.

Some pictures:

And here's a shot of the Martin Garratt version (right) with Ben's version (left):

If you want high-res images or a few more, here's the link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157717091117066/with/50660909866/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: