You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 29, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
Great display cabinets!

Thank you - needless to say, they cost more than my collection but a lovely retreat to enjoy.  The only disappointment is that in the end there wasn't much wall space left to hang palaeo-art.  That will have to spill out into the hall!

Shonisaurus

I said with those showcases you have a luxury house. That is how we should have all (myself included) our dinosaur collections.

I said a luxury.  :)

Reptilia

Very nice display cabinets you got. Looks quite professional, something you would see in a museum.

Jose S.M.

ceratopsian

Thank you all for the sundry comments on the cabinets.  The cabinet-maker knows his wood.  He also made bookshelves, desk and cupboards for my study/computer room last year.  One advantage of being a lot older than most forum members is that there is a bit more money for doing up the house.

Reptilia

Oh, I'm not that young either but still money is scarce in my pockets!  ;)

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Reptilia on December 29, 2017, 01:43:09 PM

A fate some of us share, despite their age :D

Nevertheless, impressive collection, ceratopsian,... I'd sure like to have an own room for my collection aswell :)

PS: Missed word, fitted it in ;)

ceratopsian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 29, 2017, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on December 29, 2017, 01:43:09 PM

A fate some of us share, despite their age :D

Nevertheless, impressive collection, ceratopsian,... I'd sure to have an own room for my collection aswell :)

Thank you - I know it is a great luxury to have one.

ceratopsian

I forgot to add the WS Anzu to my list of Christmas acquisitions. It was separated from its fellows and still downstairs. When I removed it from its packaging, it stood upright for all of a minute before tipping over. The foot on the other side across from the wing that touches the floor was quite badly bent. The legs are slender, so deformation is quite easy. On the plus side, the same slenderness makes restoration by the hot water method quite easy. Let's hope the fix holds up well!  Otherwise I shall put a tiny piece of Blu-tak under the distorted foot.

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful pictures of the new Safaris and I love the first pic of the Battat Styracosaurus. You have a good eye ;).
      What a beautiful collection!

ceratopsian

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 29, 2017, 09:04:08 PM
:D Wonderful pictures of the new Safaris and I love the first pic of the Battat Styracosaurus. You have a good eye ;).
      What a beautiful collection!

Thank you. I value your comments on my photographs. 

ceratopsian

Yesterday I trudged down to the sorting office to pay the customs due on a package from Canada.  This was a lot of five original Battat dinosaurs, won on eBay just before Christmas.  No one else was interested in the lot and the price wasn't bad.  I'm not sure why the lot aroused so little interest. Perhaps group lots are problematic because of duplication with the potential bidders' collections.  As it happened, I had none already. Also maybe a few days before Christmas was bad timing financially.  The models have seen some wear and the paint survival isn't perfect, but I'm happy with their condition.  Two came with their original tags.

Here's the group:

The Utahraptor doesn't stand without assistance - neither does the mini version I bought a while ago.  In this case, he seems stable resting on a rock (which is sandstone from Petra in Jordan!)  I can always pretend he's been lurking behind it to ambush prey and is in the act of leaping out!

The Ouranosaurus:

The Euoplocephalus:

The Amargasaurus:

And the Pachycephalosaurus (not as sharp a photo as I would have liked):

Shonisaurus

Congratulations ceraptosido for your new acquisitions. On the other hand I am also interested in the utahraptor and in the pachycephalosaurus of Battat it seems to me magnificent figures of collection and they are very difficult to find.

As for Battat's euplocephalus, it does not differ much from his modern figure.

The ouranosaurus is a great figure. I attest that I have it thanks to a friend / forum member.

As for amargasaurus I just ordered it from an eBay seller.

Bokisaurus

PhilSauria

Yeah, nice pick up, as they say. I've secured the odd item on eBay where you'd think someone else would have been interested but you end up getting it for the initial asking price. Nice when that happens! Like the Ouranosaurus.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 03, 2018, 05:55:49 PM
Congratulations ceraptosido for your new acquisitions. ....
Thank you!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 03, 2018, 05:55:49 PMAs for Battat's euplocephalus, it does not differ much from his modern figure.
Very true, there is only a small difference.  I wouldn't have bought the original by himself but as he came in a group lot.....

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 03, 2018, 05:55:49 PMThe ouranosaurus is a great figure. I attest that I have it thanks to a friend / forum member.

As for amargasaurus I just ordered it from an eBay seller.
I'm glad you've found a couple of Battats you wanted.

ceratopsian

ceratopsian

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 03, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
.....I've secured the odd item on eBay where you'd think someone else would have been interested but you end up getting it for the initial asking price. Nice when that happens!
It just doesn't happen so often!
Quote from: PhilSauria on January 03, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
Like the Ouranosaurus.
The Ourano was my chief interest in the lot.  It's a handsome figure.

Jose S.M.

Great lot! I'm on the look for that Ourano, is still the best Ouranosaurus figure, Pachy is nice too.

ceratopsian

On Wednesday morning, the postman brought another large box from Martin Garratt's studio.  Before Christmas, I'd purchased Lu Feng Shan's model of Achelousaurus and had it sent direct to Martin.  I like my dinosaurs in unusual poses and I thought this would make a nice pair with my sitting Rubeosaurus.  (See earlier in this thread.)  My brief to Martin was very simple.  I didn't like the idea of my Achelousaurus plopping down in the open on some random patch of ground, so I asked him if he could come up with something to suggest a bit of shelter.  I left the colour scheme to him.

Marilyn sent me her pictures in between Christmas and New Year. Here's a couple.

First, the whole thing:

To appreciate the shelter Martin created, you need to see it from this angle:

You can see how he built up a rock outcrop behind her, with plenty of varied plants.  She's not exposed in the open.

And here's some of my own photos:

One of the dinosaur without the base:

Detail of her front end and face:

And a shot of the base:

I'm delighted with what Martin has done.  (I always am!) I love the way that he has chosen colours for her that camouflage her against the ground on which she's resting.  But the colours on her shield make her stand out just enough.  I think the rock outcrop is a marvel, and I love the detail of all the varied plants of so many different sizes which give a realistic feel.  I also think he made a superb job of making the ground look uneven - this allows me to imagine that this is a favoured resting spot to which she returns regularly.  He's also managed to create the impression of moisture dripping down from the outcrop, pooling on the flat ground, and nourishing the plants.  All in all, an excellent haven.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: