News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

The problem is not only the fact that it is another Tyrannosaurus figure, it is also the fact that we get another T.rex that does not have any new or refreshing, they just make Tyrannosaurus figures because they know its popular, but they don't really try to make it unique and different. For example, I would not mind another Tyrannosaurus rex figure with exquisite detail and up to date with feathers and everything(without making look weird), for example, something similar to the Prehistoric Kingdom T.rex designs:

So I think there should be less "new T.rex figures", but the ones that still came out should try to be different from the rest.

Sim

I'm relieved I'm not the only one who feels this way about Tyrannosaurus.  I also feel this way about Dimetrodon due to a number of times where it's the only animal from it's time period (the Permian) to be included in sets of dinosaurs and other Mesozoic animals, despite becoming extinct millions of years before the Mesozoic.  It also bothered me when I was a kid because I ended up with lots of Dimetrodon figures, but it was difficult to play with them because I knew they never lived alongside any dinosaur, pterosaur, plesiosaur, etc and my only Permian (and pre-Mesozoic) figures were... lots of Dimetrodon and one pink Seymouria.  In the end I just didn't play with my Dimetrodons except for the rare times when I used my Mesozoic figures with non-Mesozoic prehistoric figures.

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 31, 2016, 02:51:44 AM
Do keep in mind that translation comes from a software made by a company that only has about three dinosaur names in it's dictionary.

It translated it as "Tyrannosaurus Rex" and not "Tyrannosaurus" though...  You might be right that it mis-translated it, but at this point it seems like the figure is of T. rex.  Monster House HK called it "T-rex", and they knew the names of the other five PNSO dinosaurs: https://www.facebook.com/monsterhousehk/posts/1115370358515297  It's also called T-rex here without a translation: https://world.taobao.com/item/527994213355.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.Q8rFv7#detail  It does says Papo too which seems to be irrelevant, but there's no mention of another dinosaur's name.  According to Google Translate, it's referred to as Tyrannosaurus rex twice more on that page, in the place of where you might otherwise find a mis-translation of a dinosaur's name due to not being included in the dictionary.  Additionally, to me it looks like the figure appears to have the forward-facing eyes of Tyrannosaurus rather than the sideways-facing eyes of Tarbosaurus and its head looks more like this generalised Tyrannosaurus skull than this generalised Tarbosaurus skull: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbosaurus#/media/File:Tarbosaurus_and_Tyrannosaurus.jpg

At this point I think it's most likely, as Halichoeres said, that they hedged their bets and made a Tyrannosaurus.  Although given the prices of these figures, I would guess the people buying them would be happy with a Tarbosaurus or Yangchuanosaurus too, if not preferring Chinese theropods to a Tyrannosaurus from this line.

Quote from: Dobber on March 31, 2016, 03:27:20 PM
I understand how some of you feel about Tyrannosaurus, and would welcome other species like Tarbosaurus ect. BUT....I can never get enough Tyrannosaurus Rex.  ;)

Chris

Hehe!  This is the only thing I'm happy about with what to me seem excessive Tyrannosaurus figures: That there are people who enjoy these figures because they are of Tyrannosaurus.

There are a number of good modern Tyrannosaurus figures already though, so I wish more good figures of it didn't come at the cost of underrepresented species.  I think this is what is happening though - I imagine this is why despite having its skeleton completely known, Tarbosaurus is very rarely made into a figure, and there isn't a satisfying Tarbosaurus figure.  I also think this happens when Favorite makes more than one version of Tyrannosaurus at the same time while discontinuing some of their other species - like they don't care much about what isn't Tyrannosaurus.  Or how the Carnegie Collection made four different Tyrannosaurus sculpts (more different sculpts than for any other species in the line).  I can see it was needed the first couple of times, but the most recent time resulted in a figure (the 2014 version) that was inferior to the previous version (the brown one) in some ways, and, the brown T. rex was already much better than the figures of other popular species in the Carnegie Collection like Allosaurus and Stegosaurus which REALLY needed a new version and.. never got one.

I get the impression a Tyrannosaurus figure is made at the cost of underrepresented species in this PNSO dinosaur line too, since it consists of five relatively obscure Chinese herbivores and only one carnivore - Tyrannosaurus rex, a North American species.  Meanwhile there are many interesting underrepresented Chinese carnivorous theropods....

Simon

Quote from: MLMjp on March 31, 2016, 04:57:59 PM
The problem is not only the fact that it is another Tyrannosaurus figure, it is also the fact that we get another T.rex that does not have any new or refreshing, they just make Tyrannosaurus figures because they know its popular, but they don't really try to make it unique and different. For example, I would not mind another Tyrannosaurus rex figure with exquisite detail and up to date with feathers and everything(without making look weird), for example, something similar to the Prehistoric Kingdom T.rex designs:

So I think there should be less "new T.rex figures", but the ones that still came out should try to be different from the rest.

I have a couple of observations and a disagreement here;  firstly, of course they made a TRex because its the most popular dinosaur and a sure-fire seller;  after all if the figures don't turn a profit the model line will not last long;

But I have to disagree with you about this particular TRex, because it seems to me that they are actually giving you what you want - its a feathered TRex with correct arms (the arms have the correct orientation, and they don't look vaguely 'human' as so many TRex arms tend to do).  Other than the tripod pose, which is understandeable though regrettable, this Rex sure looks a little bit "unique and different" to me ...

MLMjp

Quote from: Simon on March 31, 2016, 06:01:08 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on March 31, 2016, 04:57:59 PM

I have a couple of observations and a disagreement here;  firstly, of course they made a TRex because its the most popular dinosaur and a sure-fire seller;  after all if the figures don't turn a profit the model line will not last long;

But I have to disagree with you about this particular TRex, because it seems to me that they are actually giving you what you want - its a feathered TRex with correct arms (the arms have the correct orientation, and they don't look vaguely 'human' as so many TRex arms tend to do).  Other than the tripod pose, which is understandeable though regrettable, this Rex sure looks a little bit "unique and different" to me ...

Well, IMO this Rex looks like another T.rex but with a minimum amount of feathers on it´s back. Besides, I don´t like the look of this figure, it looks so plain and unattractive to me. Also I don't buy such big figures. The only one of this line that interest me is the Shantungosaurus.

I just think that we should have less Tyrannosaurus, but the ones we get should be a bit more "creative" figures (But please don't get overly crazy with speculation and such ::) ::))

But that´s just my opinion

Viking Spawn

Too much Tyrannosaurus?  Never!!! 

But it is the odd ball of the series.   A Chinese tyrannosaur spp. would have been more fitting and had it been advertised as such, I'm sure it would have sold just fine.

Bokisaurus

Wow, Lovely figures! Excited about all of them especially those two sauropods! And those size, they are huge! ;D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dobber on March 31, 2016, 03:27:20 PM
I understand how some of you feel about Tyrannosaurus, and would welcome other species like Tarbosaurus ect. BUT....I can never get enough Tyrannosaurus Rex.  ;)

Chris

I ain't gonna front, though--this is a very nice Tyrannosaurus. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

For myself, there is no such thing as too many Tyrannosaurus rexes. Aside from the vertical pose, I really like this one. Will it become widely available at different stores?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

After reading the Chinese text on the site I can confirm it's indeed a Tyrannosaurus. T. rex is just as big a player in Chinese children's dinosaur books as he is in the rest of the world.  ;)

Kovu

The two hadrosaurs are very tempting, I've been wanting a large-scaled Shantungosaurus for a while now... hopefully Dan will carry them :)
And that Huanghetitan is GORGEOUS! For something that size, $90 isn't terribly overpriced... were to put her would be another issue entirely.

Simon

Well, someone had to be the guinea pig, so I raised my hand.

I ordered all of them tonight except for the Lufengosaurus, which is just butt-ugly (and I dont care about Triassic critters anyhow).

The prices seemed quite reasonable given the size and quality of the pieces. A comparably-sized resin sauropod the size of the Titanosaur would easily cost 3X as much as this model.

So ... stay tuned.  They said that they would be shipping out some time next week.  I'll do a review once I've received them ...

Nebuloid

Quote from: Simon on April 01, 2016, 08:03:02 AM

I ordered all of them tonight except for the Lufengosaurus, which is just butt-ugly (and I dont care about Triassic critters anyhow).

The prices seemed quite reasonable given the size and quality of the pieces. A comparably-sized resin sauropod the size of the Titanosaur would easily cost 3X as much as this model.

So ... stay tuned.  They said that they would be shipping out some time next week.  I'll do a review once I've received them ...

Great ! Can't wait to hear what you think of them, thanks for the sacrifice.

RobinGoodfellow

Did you order the models at MHArk or PNSO (or others) ?
I just cannot find the link to the web shop to order them....
Please, can you post the right link to the web page?
Thanks in advance.
:)

suspsy

For the blog? Sweet!

Sim

I would have never thought anyone who likes prehistoric reptiles wouldn't care about Triassic animals in general.  I find the Triassic world fascinating, and many Triassic species very interesting.  Different strokes for different folks I guess!  Although apparently Lufengosaurus is from the Jurassic.  I look forward to your review!

Simon

Quote from: suspsy on April 01, 2016, 11:23:29 AM

For the blog? Sweet!

Actually that would have never occured to me except for your comment, but it seems like a good idea.  I did do one blg review of the old Papo Steppe Mammoth many years ago ...

Simon

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on April 01, 2016, 08:56:04 AM

Thanks in advance.

I ordered them from Monster House HK through their Facebook Page.  Sent them a message, they sent me a PayPal invoice, and I sent payment.

https://www.facebook.com/monsterhousehk/?fref=ts

suspsy

Quote from: Simon on April 01, 2016, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 01, 2016, 11:23:29 AM

For the blog? Sweet!

Actually that would have never occured to me except for your comment, but it seems like a good idea.  I did do one blg review of the old Papo Steppe Mammoth many years ago ...

Splendid! I look forward to posting your new one(s). :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Simon on April 01, 2016, 04:02:05 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on April 01, 2016, 08:56:04 AM

Thanks in advance.

I ordered them from Monster House HK through their Facebook Page.  Sent them a message, they sent me a PayPal invoice, and I sent payment.

https://www.facebook.com/monsterhousehk/?fref=ts

Thank you.  :)

acro-man

hi, guys, i am from china. been diving for a while.
spent half an hour getting thru the registration questions... really harsh for non-English speakers...haha
i am really pleased to see people talking about PSNO here, which make me feel compelled to share my limited knowledge about PNSO with you dino lovers.

About the COMPANY:
PNSO is not widely known until these sculpts came out. Some people know it for publishing a dozen of dinosaur books with illustrations by 2 Chinese illustrators and researchers in the past years. those book covers you already found on internet. they are for children, not for scientific study. i dont own one myself so no more detail about the books.

About the SCULPTOR:
Zhao Chuang, is one of the best Chinese dinosaur reconstructors. He is also a pro in dinosaurs study and has fine illustrations with high scientific accuracy. Last year, exhibitions featuring his HUGE 1:1 sculpts of ... some sort of Chinese dinosaurs - are open to public in cooperating museums in major cities in China.

About the EXHIBITION:
As the exhibition goes on from one city to another, it just didnt bring much popularity among dinosaur lovers. exquisite and extremely detailed sculpts are not limited to the 1:1 ones, but also smaller ones. unfortunately all his works/exhibits were not commercially for sale. that might explain why people hesitate to visit the museum. the situation didnt change until this Feb, something suddenly broke out.

see more magnificent not-for-sale sculpts in this post here:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4347301928

About the SCULPT:
The PSNO for-sale, museum exclusive scaled dinosaurs came out!
6 of them, all Chinese dinosaurs, English names of which you know better than me.
with no sign, the sudden appearance made unexpected mania in Chinese dinosaur community.
soon the museum welcomed its first largest flock of dino lovers. my friend in nearby city drove a far way only to buy these sculpts twice. and there are countless enthusiasts like him.

back to the sculpts, they are Chinese, they are scaled, mostly in 1:20, huge enough, and yet they remain to be improved.
MATERIAL used here is called 搪胶 - a kind of softer PVC, harder for paint to attach. that's why most people receive their dino after long distance shipping found the paint is partially detached. even uncautious rubbing can cause the paint to get off.
OBVIOUS JOINTS - joint parts are neccessary for hollow models, but these joints are TOO obvious. so obvious that without due "filling with clay" care by the buyer themselves it is hardly considered as an appreciatable piece of art.
BIZARRE POSTURE & DETAILS - Zhao's idea is good - to make simplied, affordable versions identical to his beautiful exhibits. however, due to some reason, he and PNSO didn't go much further on the details. the sculpts differ from exhibits in some way, preventing it from being too delicate and too expensive. afterall, they are simplified ones aiming for CHILDREN.
we can compare the photos below and hope that one day the real 'deluxe' version will be out and easy to get for everyone.

* despite being criticized above, these sculpts will look great if you can handle with the small defects.

* no doubt the simplifed feathered t-rex is a disaster, which resembles nothing from the original exhibit.

find more photos here:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4457006281
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4457038575
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4410571880

About the PRICE:
they are sold half price if you enter the museum with a ticket in person, which is not realistic for everyone of course.
they are sold between half price to full price online in Taobao in China (similar to eBay)
the online price ranges from 100 RMB for the smallest Shantungosaurus (40cm long) to 200 RMB for the biggest brachiosaurus-like giant (50cm high).
which is about 15-30 USD in today's rate, not including shipping.

About the BUY:
that said, being 'museum exclusive' doesnt mean you can't find one online. and i believe they can be bought in every portal right after the exhibition is over (probably the end of the year). i am capable of getting some myself but i won't advertise myself here in case of being deemed as a scammer.

ADVICE:
make sure you have these things before you buy.
1. skill and tools to repaint
2. clay to fill in the joint seams
3. glue to fix broken parts caused by shipping

hope you like it
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: