News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you currently reading.

Started by Takama, May 25, 2012, 05:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything_Dinosaur

At the moment "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs" in preparation for some notes on new Ceratopsians, don't get a lot of spae time at the moment, trying to sort out a work life balance.

Pawnosuchus

Just starting(read the first few chapters ) of The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert. It's a fascinating book, not overly technical and definitely downright scary. I can't wait to finish it.

Chad

I'm currently halfway through Dinosaurs Without Bones by Anthony Martin and highly recommend it. It's a fine starting point for imagining how dinosaurs actually lived and not just how they'd look in figure form...It's a nice primer on ichnology as well, a subject I've only read about indirectly in other dinosaur books. Here it gets the main stage. I'm also pecking away at Mesozoic Life which is kind of dry since the papers it gathers weren't meant for a general audience and The Cambrian Explosion which is both technical and a fun read and filled with great illustrations.

Roselaar

Livius' Ab Urbe Condita. Too bad there's so much stuff missing.

Gwangi

George R.R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons", "Boss Snakes" by Chad Arment and "Abominable Science" by  Daniel Loxton and Donald Prothero.

Crackington

Following his recent BBC documentaries on famous fossil sites, I'm re-reading Richard Fortey's "Life: an Unauthorised Biography". He's a very good writer and the chapters on the Paleozoic are particularly good, especially on Walcott and the Burgess Shale. It was good to see him visit there almost 20 years later in the BBC series.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Crackington on April 03, 2014, 10:37:39 PM
Following his recent BBC documentaries on famous fossil sites, I'm re-reading Richard Fortey's "Life: an Unauthorised Biography". He's a very good writer and the chapters on the Paleozoic are particularly good, especially on Walcott and the Burgess Shale. It was good to see him visit there almost 20 years later in the BBC series.

I love Fortey´s  style! One also should read his book on trilobites, even if one is not so much into trilobites.

Currently I am reading once again: Paul Watzlawick et al. "Change. Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution"

Crackington

Totally agree, "Trilobite!" is a cracking read too.

I love the way he weaves in interesting background details on the scientists and discoveries, as well as personal anecdotes, such as his colleagues going stir crazy looking for fossils in the Arctic!

tyrantqueen

Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition. A pretty bleak and depressing book :-\ The eighteenth century is one of my favourite historical periods, I just love it :)

Takama

Right now im reading Footprints of Thunder by James F David.

I heard it was a good dinosaur novel so I decided to buy it and Red it.   So far I read ten chapters and the dinosaurs are just starting to appear.

Patrx

Z-Ray

@ Patrx Hey, I'm reading that two!
However mine has a different cover.
My Favorite Dinosaur Over The Years.
1988: Dienonychus - 1998: Pachycephalosaurus - 2008: Carnotaurus - 2018: ?

KaraWildsong42

I've been strictly reading nonfiction lately, which is actually quite odd for me. I'm reading River Monsters by Jeremy Wade of the show with the same name, and The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins.
You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons. -Terry Pratchett

docronnie

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Chad

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 13, 2013, 07:54:06 AM
At the moment "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs" in preparation for some notes on new Ceratopsians, don't get a lot of spae time at the moment, trying to sort out a work life balance.

What do you think of it so far? Worth checking out? I think I want to use ceratopsians and my entry into really nailing down the terminology and specifics of dinosaur anatomy.

I'm currently into the Julius Csotonyi art book that just came out and it's pretty great, as expected.

Libraraptor

In order to prepare for Episode VII, I am studying lots of Star Wars Visual Dictionaries and the Star Wars Chronicles.

SpittersForEver

I'm reading the enemy series by Charlie Higson. (I am mature for my age, as are most of my classmates because they are reading it too).

alexeratops

Quote from: Takama on April 04, 2014, 03:59:39 AM
Right now im reading Footprints of Thunder by James F David.

I heard it was a good dinosaur novel so I decided to buy it and Red it.   So far I read ten chapters and the dinosaurs are just starting to appear.
I've read it too. It's really good.
like a bantha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: