You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sarmientosaurus, a titanosaur with a known skull

Started by Halichoeres, April 26, 2016, 10:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Will Patagonia's wonders ever cease? http://phys.org/news/2016-04-newly-titanosaurian-dinosaur-argentina-sarmientosaurus.html

They were even able to get a decent endocast, and the semicircular canals of the inner ear suggest that it often fed close to the ground.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Wasnt this one of your predictions for this coming year or am I just confused?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

It was! Holy cow, I'd forgotten. So far I'm 1 for 3.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Newt

Very interesting, and peculiar! That pointed tip to the snout - I wonder if that's distortion or if it really was shaped like that? Guess I'll have to read the paper...

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Newt

amargasaurus cazaui

The paper is open access anyways , I just made it easier for everyone to get a copy !

Diplotomodon

It's great that we're starting to find titanosaur heads and get a better picture of what they really looked like. Now if we could just find heads and bodies together, that'd be even better.
You may also know me as: Crimsonraptor / Styracosaurus Rider / officially that guy

Lusotitan

I'll note that over at SV-POW Matt Wedel has placed some doubts in their inferences on its palaeobiology; he's against the idea that it was a grazer/low feeder. Also note that the comment section of the post has some discussion on the phylogenetic analysis being somewhat questionable. Post here:

https://svpow.com/2016/04/28/enter-sarmientosaurus/

Halichoeres

That's interesting about the difference between alert and foraging posture as inferred from semicircular canals. Maybe it'd be an easier case if we had more of its shoulder girdle and thoracic vertebrae. Without knowing anything about the particular characters excluded from analysis, I think the commenters might be missing one defensible rationale: reducing bias. The original dataset had a very large number of characters relative to the number of taxa, a situation in which parsimony analyses can find high statistical support for an incorrect answer. I don't know if that's why they did it, but if that's why, it's a way to test that their original result isn't spurious without adding dozens of additional taxa to break up the branches. They only say they excluded characters which optimized as synapomorphies of Neosauropoda, not why--it might just be that they considered them irrelevant as there wasn't any real chance Sarmientosaurus would fall outside that clade.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.