You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is off about the sculpt the this Rex head?

Started by SirGrooot, April 29, 2016, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I still like ARK despite it's design choices. I see ARK as something more like "a Star Wars planet with dinosaurs on it" in that they completely acknowledge and even at times take advantage of the fact that they are only loosely based on the real animals. Whereas games like The Isle are more equivalent to Jurassic Park that uses in-universe explanations for inaccuracy. And then of course there's the almighty Saurian. I like that we have so much variety and choice.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Brontozaurus

Quote from: allosaurusrock on July 01, 2016, 09:21:21 PM
They looked to me like Jurassic Park 'I am going to eat you and roar loudly' monsters. But also, I am a little majprly bumhurt about the no feathers thing.

They act like that too. Even though that's because the current AI is a placeholder for more complex stuff that's coming in the future, the general tone of the game suggests they'll still be bloodthirsty monsters even with the changes. I know it's a survival game but it feels boring to expect every predatory animal to drop everything and kill me if I get within a yard of them. Partly that's why I'm excited for Saurian; finally I can see video game dinosaurs acting like actual animals.

ARK has a really weird thing with feathers in general. Some of their dinosaurs have absolute garbage amounts of feathers (namely their raptor, Gallimimus and Oviraptor) and yet they've got a fully fluffed Microraptor coming, a decently fluffy Troodon, and a feathered Dimorphodon of all things.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

allosaurusrock

This is my signature.

Dilopho

Oh, don'y even get me started on some of these things!!!

Bleh!!! Not only does it rip-off Jurassic Park, it doesn't even make sense! In Jurassic Park they were mutant creatures with bird, frog, snake etc DNA!!

WHAT THE HECK?!?! THEIR TITANOBOA SPITS VENOM TOO. IT'S A CONSTRICTOR! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VENOMOUS! AND WHY DOES THE LOGIC "VENOMOUS = FRILL" EXIST HERE?!?

stargatedalek

I for one adore ARK Survival Evolved and its insane creature designs. The Jurassic Park homages are a bit worn out and bland but the homages to general tropes and (especially) to the 50s and 60s era monster movies are most enjoyable. I'm also not certain if it's actually purposeful but most of them seem to get a relatively obscure detail right, almost like an Easter-egg of sorts, they get little details right that are often forgotten or ignored. Not enough to make them passably accurate, just barely enough to prove they're actually looking at the real creatures for some of the inspiration and trying to add their own ideas rather than just using Google Images.

I often compare ARK to "a Star Wars planet with dinosaur themed aliens".

Dilopho

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 29, 2016, 03:21:30 PM
I often compare ARK to "a Star Wars planet with dinosaur themed aliens".
That's actually a good way to put it.

LophoLeeVT

evoen though it has strange looking dinos ark is one of the best dinosaur games.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.