You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mammal-like reptile survived much longer than thought

Started by sauroid, May 04, 2016, 07:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Flaffy

PaleoMatt

Megalosaurus

Newbie question but anyway:
What are the key skeletal features that makes a tritylodontid differ from mammals?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Nanuqsaurus

I thought ''mammal-like reptile'' wasn't a valid term anymore? Because the ancestors of mammals weren't actual reptiles? Maybe it's just to make this article easier to understand, I can see why they'd do that. Nice article anyway, really interesting! :) I always wonder what more fossil suprises are waiting to be found.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 04, 2016, 04:33:17 PM
Newbie question but anyway:
What are the key skeletal features that makes a tritylodontid differ from mammals?

Tritylodontids retain some primitive aspects of the jaw articulation. The lower jaw, instead of being formed entirely from the dentary, retains the articular, which articulates with the quadrate in the upper jaw (rather than the temporal or squamosal as in mammals). They also lack canines, which of course some mammals also do, but it's another relatively distinctive feature.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.