News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Agathaumas or Regaliceratops?

Started by CarnegieCollector, May 28, 2016, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnegieCollector

Ok, so i dont know if anyone else noticed this but, the new(ish)ly discovered regaliceratops A. K. A "hell boy" looks an awful lot like the agathaumas painted by Paleo-artist legend Charles R Knight. Is it at all possible that they are the same thing? I know that the agathaumas painting was a mixture of monoclonius and triceratops, and that ol' agathaumas is only known by scarce remains, but jeesh is the resemblance strong!

I'd attach some photos but im new here and I dont know how :( sorry.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 28, 2016, 08:21:59 AM
Ok, so i dont know if anyone else noticed this but, the new(ish)ly discovered regaliceratops A. K. A "hell boy" looks an awful lot like the agathaumas painted by Paleo-artist legend Charles R Knight. Is it at all possible that they are the same thing? I know that the agathaumas painting was a mixture of monoclonius and triceratops, and that ol' agathaumas is only known by scarce remains, but jeesh is the resemblance strong!

Probably just a coincidence, as there was bound to be a ceratopsid eventually with the combination of short brow horns and long nose horn.

For the record, Knight's painting is technically not Agathaumas as it's understood today. Agathaumas sylvestris, the type species, is known from vertebrae and hips belonging to either Torosauus or Triceratops (impossible to tell which, which is why it's a nomen dubium).

Knight's painting was based on a different species/specimen, Agathaumas sphenoceras. This was also sometimes considered to be a species of Monoclonius, Monoclonius sphenoceras. It was distinguished by its long nose horn and spikes frill. It's probably the same thing as Styracosaurus.

So, Knight's painting really depicts Styracosaurus, not Agathaumas, just like his "Trachodon" is really Edmontosaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CarnegieCollector

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on May 28, 2016, 10:09:14 AM
Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 28, 2016, 08:21:59 AM

Probably just a coincidence, as there was bound to be a ceratopsid eventually with the combination of short brow horns and long nose horn.

For the record, Knight's painting is technically not Agathaumas as it's understood today. Agathaumas sylvestris, the type species, is known from vertebrae and hips belonging to either Torosauus or Triceratops (impossible to tell which, which is why it's a nomen dubium).

Knight's painting was based on a different species/specimen, Agathaumas sphenoceras. This was also sometimes considered to be a species of Monoclonius, Monoclonius sphenoceras. It was distinguished by its long nose horn and spikes frill. It's probably the same thing as Styracosaurus.

So, Knight's painting really depicts Styracosaurus, not Agathaumas, just like his "Trachodon" is really Edmontosaurus.
coincedance eh? Oh well, its still pretty intresting that they look similer. I always liked the appearance of "agathaumas". Too bad it was probably just a torosaurus/triceratops.
Thanks for the info btw!
Gee edmontosaurus has gone thru a lot of name changes! Trachodon, anatosaurus, anatotitan, edmontosaurus...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.