News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Happy 4th of July!

Started by Mamasaurus, July 04, 2016, 04:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

Happy 4th of July my fellow Americans!  I hope you're enjoying the barbecue cook-outs, fireworks, and surviving the family reunions.   ;)

Some of the American dinosaurs from Pete's Paleo Petshop have come to celebrate.

From left to right...

- Dippy the Diplodocus has a special job to do, carrying the stars & stripes, and he's very proud of it.

- Steggy the Stegosaurus loves hanging with all the kids.  She might even let them paint her plates so she'll match their face paint.  :)

- Copper the Camptosaurus will be pulling the haywagon.  Who needs a truck or tractor when you've got this strapping young stag?

- Alfred the Allosaurus is excited for the water balloon toss, if only he'll get out of the barbecue pit and stop eating all the hotdogs!

- Picasso the Dilophosaurus just wants to sit and watch the fireworks with his favorite person.

- Skittles the Scutellosaurus loves the egg & spoon race.  Lots of boiled egg treats!  But when the fireworks start she'll probably be hiding in the bathroom.

- Ajax the Apatosaurus will be the unchallenged champion of the pie-eating contest, hands down. 

I hope you have a happy and safe holiday.  :))

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Takama

Dilophosaurus looks like the Sideshow model and the Apatosaurus looks like the Papo model.

Did you use those for refrence ;D

Mamasaurus

Yes, yes I did  ;D

The Allosaurus is reffed from David Krentz's beautiful Allo, stegosaurus from the Wild Safari model, and diplodocus from the most recent Carnegie model.  I used Scott Hartman's lovely skeletals for reference with camptosaurus and scutellosaurus. :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

laticauda

It was a great 4th.  Just finished up the fireworks.

Takama

HAd some classic american food. Hot Dogs, and big greasy braots with Cheese in them. The others had Cheese Burgers, and Pork Chops while drinking up some american Brand beer.

laticauda

Quote from: Takama on July 05, 2016, 02:09:00 AM
HAd some classic american food. Hot Dogs, and big greasy braots with Cheese in them. The others had Cheese Burgers, and Pork Chops while drinking up some american Brand beer.

I also grilled up and had some cheese broats.  Hmmmmm so good.  Enjoy the fireworks tonight. 

PaleoMatt

I wish the UK had an independance day, it sounds fun! historically it makes no sense but hey who cares right.

docronnie

Happy 4th of July brothers!  :)

When I was in Grade School, we also celebrated something on the 4th of July.  I think it was called Filipino-American Friendship Day. I know the Philippines was granted independence from the US on July 4, 1946.  It was our Independence Day up to  1962.  It was changed to June 12 thereafter, which was our independence from Spain.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Halichoeres

Quote from: PaleoMatt on July 05, 2016, 02:34:20 PM
I wish the UK had an independance day, it sounds fun! historically it makes no sense but hey who cares right.

I'm guessing nobody knows the date when the last Roman forces withdrew from Britain, right? You could arbitrarily choose a date!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 05, 2016, 10:48:29 PM

I'm guessing nobody knows the date when the last Roman forces withdrew from Britain, right? You could arbitrarily choose a date!

The problem there would be that, freedom from the Roman empire wasn't achieved by choice, and the residents of Britain had become so accustomed to Roman culture that without the driving force of the empire, civilization essentially collapsed for several hundred years, leaving society without any organisation or direction. Subsequently Britain only went on to be taken over by further foreign powers (Angles, Saxons, Normans and so forth), to whom it was forced to submit, and if freedom from those powers had ever been achieved, British culture as we know it would never have existed. Britain's ancient history and heritage could even be said to represent a repetetive, ongoing loss of independence and individuality, rather than the gaining of it at any point. The patriotic rebels of our long history are mostly defined by their failures, and endure only in folk tales that promise they shall some day return and put right the wrongs of the past, though for better or worse none of them have shown up yet. I don't imagine they'll like what they'll find if they ever do.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 06, 2016, 01:08:39 AM

The problem there would be that, freedom from the Roman empire wasn't achieved by choice, and the residents of Britain had become so accustomed to Roman culture that without the driving force of the empire, civilization essentially collapsed for several hundred years, leaving society without any organisation or direction. Subsequently Britain only went on to be taken over by further foreign powers (Angles, Saxons, Normans and so forth), to whom it was forced to submit, and if freedom from those powers had ever been achieved, British culture as we know it would never have existed. Britain's ancient history and heritage could even be said to represent a repetetive, ongoing loss of independence and individuality, rather than the gaining of it at any point. The patriotic rebels of our long history are mostly defined by their failures, and endure only in folk tales that promise they shall some day return and put right the wrongs of the past, though for better or worse none of them have shown up yet. I don't imagine they'll like what they'll find if they ever do.

Oh, good point! I hadn't really thought about how rough the medieval period was. Maybe better to commemorate the Renaissance.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Simon

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 06, 2016, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 06, 2016, 01:08:39 AM

Oh, good point! I hadn't really thought about how rough the medieval period was. Maybe better to commemorate the Renaissance.

The Roman legions were withdrawn from Britain at a time when they were needed closer to home due to the Empire's decline and the threat to Italy from barbarians coming from the East.  This resulted in a loss of freedom and civilization, and in the context of British history, is an event to be mourned, not celebrated.  The Romans never conquered the highland savages of present day Scotland (hence Hadrian's Wall was built across the narrow point of the island, to keep them out).  With the legions gone, Britain reverted to the barbarians and, as pointed out earlier, civilization was extinguished for hundreds of years.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.