News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kong ; Skull Island

Started by Derek.McManus, July 06, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 18, 2016, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 21, 2016, 09:29:39 AM
Quote from: RaptorRex on November 20, 2016, 11:32:55 PM
What I'm confused about is how the 2005 Kong film didn't have excessive amounts of CGI but apparently this one does. The Brontosaurus stampede is proof of the opposite.

Nobody is claiming that the 2005 Kong didn't have excessive CGI. The fact is, it's 10 years later, the CGI in this one doesn't look any better, and film-makers need to realise that putting out these kinds of overblown, trashy, computer-game visuals is mind-numbingly eroding the integrity of the fantasy genre. Fair enough, if they have no aspirations of making anything that is either timeless, iconic, or long-lasting, then by all means, they can CGI away, just don't expect me to respect it.

Jesus Christ man, you are acting like the filmmakers ran over your dog. If you want the 2005 King Kong, go watch the 2005 King Kong. This new Kong isn't going to hurt the genre anymore than the micheal bay movies already have.

Seriously, the only one of us who keeps insisting on bringing up the 2005 Kong movie is you, so I really don't know what you're getting at. I haven't said anything either in defense of it or as a criticism of it in this current discussion, I didn't even use it as a point of comparison when I stated my negative feelings about the new one, nor do i intend to. If you are blinded by hatred for that film, fair enough, but theres no need to project your preoccupation with it onto me.

Arul

Really love the trailer. March 2017, cant wait for the movie!

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 22, 2016, 09:25:14 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 18, 2016, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 21, 2016, 09:29:39 AM
Quote from: RaptorRex on November 20, 2016, 11:32:55 PM
What I'm confused about is how the 2005 Kong film didn't have excessive amounts of CGI but apparently this one does. The Brontosaurus stampede is proof of the opposite.

Nobody is claiming that the 2005 Kong didn't have excessive CGI. The fact is, it's 10 years later, the CGI in this one doesn't look any better, and film-makers need to realise that putting out these kinds of overblown, trashy, computer-game visuals is mind-numbingly eroding the integrity of the fantasy genre. Fair enough, if they have no aspirations of making anything that is either timeless, iconic, or long-lasting, then by all means, they can CGI away, just don't expect me to respect it.

Jesus Christ man, you are acting like the filmmakers ran over your dog. If you want the 2005 King Kong, go watch the 2005 King Kong. This new Kong isn't going to hurt the genre anymore than the micheal bay movies already have.

Seriously, the only one of us who keeps insisting on bringing up the 2005 Kong movie is you, so I really don't know what you're getting at. I haven't said anything either in defense of it or as a criticism of it in this current discussion, I didn't even use it as a point of comparison when I stated my negative feelings about the new one, nor do i intend to. If you are blinded by hatred for that film, fair enough, but theres no need to project your preoccupation with it onto me.

Sorry about that, I got you and Takama confused.

To be honest, i'm not sure why I am acting so worked up. If you want to be cynical and pessimistic towards this movie, it's your choice. If you think the movie industry is at an all time low, that is an opinion you are allowed to have and share. I am being a real hypocrite by demanding you respect my stances on Hollywood B-movies while trashing yours, sorry.

I would like to say, however, that if you take a random year in hollywood's history and look at all the movies made,there is usually only one classic and timeless one worth remembering with hundreds of flops lining it. We have forgotten most of those failures because they were just that, failures. Maybe in 50 years people will remember this kong fondly like the Toho version or let it fade away into obscurity like the 70s version, only time will tell. I think you should at least give it a chance, a trailer analysis by someone called "Beyondtherailer" I watched the other day highlighted some of the amazing cinematography and comic-book inspired shots that had her sold on the film despite the tone of the trailer. Maybe you should at least give it a chance, wait until we learn more about the movie before you start declaring it as another corporate zombie cash-in. It may be smarter than we both realize.

Derek.McManus

One persons trash is another person's treasure it would seem!  :)

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on November 23, 2016, 03:22:21 PM

Sorry about that, I got you and Takama confused.

To be honest, i'm not sure why I am acting so worked up. If you want to be cynical and pessimistic towards this movie, it's your choice. If you think the movie industry is at an all time low, that is an opinion you are allowed to have and share. I am being a real hypocrite by demanding you respect my stances on Hollywood B-movies while trashing yours, sorry.

I would like to say, however, that if you take a random year in hollywood's history and look at all the movies made,there is usually only one classic and timeless one worth remembering with hundreds of flops lining it. We have forgotten most of those failures because they were just that, failures. Maybe in 50 years people will remember this kong fondly like the Toho version or let it fade away into obscurity like the 70s version, only time will tell. I think you should at least give it a chance, a trailer analysis by someone called "Beyondtherailer" I watched the other day highlighted some of the amazing cinematography and comic-book inspired shots that had her sold on the film despite the tone of the trailer. Maybe you should at least give it a chance, wait until we learn more about the movie before you start declaring it as another corporate zombie cash-in. It may be smarter than we both realize.

Ah, don't worry about it, I pretty much think most films that come out look rubbish, I still see a lot of them at the cinema either way because I love going to the cinema, and expecting nothing means I'm rarely dissapointed, and occasionaly pleasantly surprised. Believe me when i say i enjoy a lot of films that I think are pretty terrible, ultimately I may even enjoy this new Kong (it's worth noting that I was intensely negative about the look of Jurassic World from the trailers, yet I still enjoyed it at the cinema), but I never give up on wishing things were better. Trailers can be very misleading though; sometimes it's the other way around and an incredibly well trailered film turns out to be awful, I could list quite a few recent examples but I wouldn't want to start any 'lively' debates. 

Derek.McManus

I can think of one candidate where the trailer definitely misold the movie!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Derek.McManus on November 24, 2016, 09:03:30 PM
I can think of one candidate where the trailer definitely misold the movie!
I'm so glad I never saw any trailers for Terminator 2 before watching it, they spoiled the whole movie.

CarnegieCollector

I wonder if they will bring Kong back to NYC and if he'll climb the Empire State Building?

The Empire State Building could be just as supersized as King Kong will be in the movie (due to renevations).
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Derek.McManus

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on November 26, 2016, 03:05:35 AM
I wonder if they will bring Kong back to NYC and if he'll climb the Empire State Building?

The Empire State Building could be just as supersized as King Kong will be in the movie (due to renevations).

I suspect that Kong may not even leave Skull Island in this version, no evidence to support this idea just a feeling.

Doug Watson

I am looking forward to this. I still love the original 1933 version which I saw before some of your parents were born, I loved Peter Jackson's version, only things I would change would be to recast Denham and Lumpy shouldn't have died. Lumpy trying to light his cigarette in the middle of the dinosaur stampede was acting genius. I have the 33 version box set of DVDs and the 05 version in a set as well. But then I like the JP series as well.
Kong looks pretty good and if he does fight Godzilla I hope he kicks his butt. Even in the sixties I couldn't take that man in rubber suit with fat legs seriously and have never sat through one of the Japanese originals. and thank goodness Kong doesn't look like this.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on November 26, 2016, 03:05:35 AM

I dont think we will have the New York scene. Kong will live to fight Godzilla in 2020. But which city could be cool to fight these titans?
@Doug Watson: Well this new Kong have a feeling of 33 version and Toho version mixed. And probably both could collaborate, probably the true villain in the movie would be King Ghidorah or a new Kaiju. More Im thinking, probably Godzilla vs Kong would be like Destroy All Monsters Film, were most Toho Kaiju fought Ghidorah.
Thinking more, if this Kong is a juvenile, how he will look in 2020?

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SpartanSquat

Thanks for the advice city raptor!
When its the Tokyo Comic Con?

Derek.McManus

A few more details have slipped out, apparently there is footage of a World War 2 dogfight between American and Japanese planes with crashing pilots bailing out onto Skull Island only to have their personal war interuppted by Kong!

dragon53

KONG: SKULL ISLAND---director Jordan Vogt-Roberts commented on the remake, "The script I first read took place in 1917. But when I started talking to the Legendary [Entertainment] guys, I was thinking, 'What weird King Kong movie would I want to see?' So I pitched them the Vietnam War connection, literally thinking they were gonna laugh me out of the room. And to Legendary's credit, they said, 'Cool. Let's figure it out.' The aesthetics of that time mixed with King Kong makes for an incredible genre mash-up."
Tom Hiddleston plays an ex-SAS tracker, Brie Larson plays a combat photographer and Samuel L. Jackson plays a lieutenant-colonel who is "Captain Ahab crossed with Kilgore from Apocalypse Now."
Concept art shows King Kong amidst a Vietnam-themed King Kong napalm background.

SpartanSquat

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Flaffy

SpartanSquat

@FlaffyRaptors: Probably its a new type of organism. Looks like some monsters from the Mist.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: