News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kong ; Skull Island

Started by Derek.McManus, July 06, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

If you use your imagination it kinda looks like a pterosaur with a goblin shark head.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SpartanSquat

Probably those are crests in the beak. Rodan relative?

Blade-of-the-Moon

The site calls it a " pterodactylus" and the other set has a " dino monster" ...not inspiring really. Feels more Pacific Rim like to me.   Though the sets themselves and details are great.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 10, 2017, 06:31:39 PM
The site calls it a " pterodactylus" and the other set has a " dino monster" ...not inspiring really. Feels more Pacific Rim like to me.   Though the sets themselves and details are great.
I think they are probably titled so as to avoid spoilers. Given we already know the "dinosaur monster" is called a skullcrawler.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess they can do as they like but I;ll miss scenes like this :

I like a deep dark jungle, some fog, and..an actual dinosaur in my lost lands.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 10, 2017, 08:48:17 PM
I guess they can do as they like but I;ll miss scenes like this :

I like a deep dark jungle, some fog, and..an actual dinosaur in my lost lands.

Me too...I love the retro feel! However I do think they have been brave in their choices regarding the 2017 movie.

CityRaptor

I dunno, last Kong Movie without Dinosaurs was not that good. Anyways, some pics and more info about the toyline. Seems like a lot of the military stuff is actually recycled from a budget toyline:
http://news.toyark.com/2017/01/13/additional-details-kong-skull-island-toy-line-236237
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Derek.McManus

The 1976 version of Kong was undoubtedly weak but I suppose it should be viewed through the prism of the time it was made, the location shooting was the same area as Jurassic Park and Lost strangely enough and I always give kudos for actually showing Kong being shipped to New York! The 2005 version was basically a straight retelling of the 1933 and if the 2017 version did that again it would be unoriginal.

stargatedalek

To be fair it's actually a breath of fresh air to see some cheaper licensed figures, in the days of $500 LEGO Star Wars sets and the abysmal JW line it'll be nice to see something more along the lines of Chap Mei pricing for recognizable action figures.

Derek.McManus

The big Kong is impressive and fair play to the company for including an action figure so that kids can play straight away without their parents having to make a separate purchase.

Stargatedalek you are undoubtedly correct I clearly recall going to buy kids lego and they wanted lego Star wars but you could get almost twice as much lego in other ranges.

Gwangi

Well, "Jurassic World" didn't even include human figures and vehicles. And at least these action figures resemble the human characters from "Kong".

utd7

From which film is the still of that Brontosaurus in the fog?
We live in a Jurassic World

CityRaptor

From the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r0gQMvKZVQ
And no, it did not eat them. Just mauled them to death, like a hippo would do.
Oh no

Derek.McManus

I think that I read somewhere that specifically long necked monster sightings at Loch Ness only became common after the original King Kong was released.

Gwangi

Quote from: Derek.McManus on January 14, 2017, 01:46:06 PM
I think that I read somewhere that specifically long necked monster sightings at Loch Ness only became common after the original King Kong was released.

You read correctly!

suspsy

Yes, Donald Prothero makes note of that in his excellent book, "Abominable Science." I highly recommend it to everyone. It's sad to see all these legendary cryptobeasts debunked, but that's science.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

dragon53

New banner shows Brie Larson with Kong.

CityRaptor

As usual Kong has a soft spot for blondes.
Oh no

suspsy

Too bad they didn't make Kong a female and have her fall in love with Tom Hiddleston's character.

Or John Goodman's.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: