News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kong ; Skull Island

Started by Derek.McManus, July 06, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Well Toho propierties deserve a movie. I dont mind a King Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan. Recently I saw Shin Gojira in Madrid and thinking twice, and nobody can denied that Godzilla in King of Monsters deserve more a protagonistic role. I enjoyed 2014 but in Shin Gojira, Godzilla have more a lead role and of course I hope in the sequel he turns more an antagonistic way to start the conflict between him and Kong.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 18, 2017, 05:31:18 PM
Too bad they didn't make Kong a female and have her fall in love with Tom Hiddleston's character.

Or John Goodman's.

Or keep Kong male and have all that happen anyway. :P
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

BlueKrono

Quote from: Brontozaurus on January 23, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 18, 2017, 05:31:18 PM
Too bad they didn't make Kong a female and have her fall in love with Tom Hiddleston's character.

Or John Goodman's.

Or keep Kong male and have all that happen anyway. :P

Best. Plot twist. EVARRRR.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on January 22, 2017, 09:27:30 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 22, 2017, 06:05:54 PM
Well, it sounds catchier than Godzilla-King Kong-Cinamtic Universe. Maybe they could add some more Monsters to it.

Well Steven deKnight (Pacific Rim Uprising director) said he wanted to make a King Ghidorah solo movie.

Ghidorah definitely needs his own movie, maybe solo movies for Rodan and Mothra would be nice as well. Actually, you know what? Give every Kaiju their own movie before putting them in movies with other monsters.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 23, 2017, 08:22:56 AM
Ghidorah definitely needs his own movie, maybe solo movies for Rodan and Mothra would be nice as well. Actually, you know what? Give every Kaiju their own movie before putting them in movies with other monsters.

Especially Titanosaurus, he needs to finally get his time in the sun.

CityRaptor

Yep. This guy is basically a giant Spinosauroid!

Edit: Toys are out!
http://news.toyark.com/2017/01/23/kong-skull-island-toys-now-stores-237176
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

HD-man

Quote from: RolandEden on January 22, 2017, 04:40:05 PM@CityRaptor @HD-man: I was thinking the same the other day. Probably Skull Crawlers evolved from the ancestral specie of mosasaurs, only these are terrestrial and underground habits. From what I read, Skull Crawlers live underground, probably they survived and avoided extinction events like Godzilla.

Like that 2-legged lizard in the 1933 movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMKnhN7ABs
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Loon

Ran across the toys at my Wal-Mart, I thought I was in a Dollar Tree toy section...yikes. The Tom Hiddleston character's face sculpt looked more like Grand Moff Tarkin.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Loon on February 02, 2017, 06:51:11 AM
Ran across the toys at my Wal-Mart, I thought I was in a Dollar Tree toy section...yikes. The Tom Hiddleston character's face sculpt looked more like Grand Moff Tarkin.

Sounds funny...I think my son will like the big Kong figure to play with though!

CityRaptor

Well, that makes sense. A lot of the stuff in the line is originally from "The Corps!", some kind of budget soldier toyline. Jackson and Hiddleston just got new heads.
Here is some info and pics regarding the toyline I found:
http://thecorpsfanshq.proboards.com/thread/103/blake-talks-skull-island-corps

Official Website:
http://kongskullislandtoys.com/

As for the movie itself:
http://nerdist.com/10-things-we-learned-on-the-set-of-kong-skull-island/
Some of these things were kinda obvious from the trailer and some are not as unique to this Kong as they claim to be. And they still claim that their Kong is the biggest.

Oh no

Loon

Quote from: Derek.McManus on February 02, 2017, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: Loon on February 02, 2017, 06:51:11 AM

Sounds funny...I think my son will like the big Kong figure to play with though!
I did encounter the big Kong figure and "felt him up" so to speak. He feels decent, albeit very hollow,and light.

stargatedalek

Gonna go scout the local Walmarts tonight, hopefully they've made it to Canada by now.

dragon53

KONG: SKULL ISLAND---a new poster released pays tribute to Francis Ford Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW. Also, producer Alex Garcia provided details on how KONG: SKULL ISLAND is connected to the 2014 GODZILLA remake. Tom Hiddleston plays ex-SAS tracker Captain James Conrad who encounters "a team of Monarch operatives" (Monarch is the secret scientific organization from the 2014 GODZILLA) on Skull Island, "It's a landslide expedition, officially, but John Goodman, who plays the guy from Monarch, is sort of pulling the strings in the background and we come to realize obviously that they knew much more than they let on initially."
Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts said KONG: SKULL ISLAND is not a King Kong origin movie, "When you watch PREDATOR 2 and you see that Xenomorph skull on the spaceship you're like, 'Oh my God!' Your brain just goes crazy with all these possibilities. And my favorite thing as a kid watching movies [was] just having all these little things in the background that you pick up on and your brain just goes wild with. So we're trying to tiptoe a line. There's a lot of stuff out there that our movie is sort of his origin story, and that's not really what it is. There's a lot of background mythology peppered into it as we create our own new mythology."
The GODZILLA vs KONG sequel will be released in 2020.

stargatedalek

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 02, 2017, 04:58:45 PM
Gonna go scout the local Walmarts tonight, hopefully they've made it to Canada by now.
No luck, but half the toy section was cleared out, so here's hoping the new items arrive soon.

TheRaptorSlayer

I actually kind of like the Kong figure and the giant spider one as well.  ;D I particularly like how the latter resembles a daddy longlegs. That's a species I can't remember being made into a figure before, and spiders of a considerable size aren't that uncommon.
So your world's benign?
So you think justice has a voice
And we all have a choice?
Well now your world is mine...
And I am fine...

dragon53

KONG: SKULL ISLAND---director Jordan Vogt-Roberts said the movie's monsters were inspired by the Japanese anime PRINCESS MONONOKE, "The creatures are a big thing. JURASSIC WORLD obviously owns the dinosaur thing right now. If Kong is the God of this island, we wanted each of the creatures to feel like they're individual gods of their own domain. Miyazaki and PRINCESS MONONOKE was actually a big reference in the way that the spirit creatures sort of have their own domains and fit within that.
A big thing was trying to design creatures that felt realistic and could exist in an ecosystem that feels sort of wild and out there, and then also design things that simultaneously felt beautiful and horrifying at the same time. Where if you look at this giant spider or water buffalo, you stare at, a part of you says, 'that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen' and 'oh my god, that's going to kill me right now, I need to run for my life!"

CityRaptor

Uh, dragon53, why are you using a separate post for every quote of the link I provided?
Oh no

dragon53

CITYRAPTOR:

I post movie/tv news on other forums and post dinosaur-related movie news on this forum. I rarely look at other people's links/posts because of time.
I wasn't aware I was repeating news you had already posted.

dragon53

KONG: SKULL ISLAND---new trailer released and a chart shows the different sizes of King Kong in the various movies.

Trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhcFf0voRU

CityRaptor

Well, someone finally aknowledges that Toho Kong is bigger.

Linking to the trailer does not seem to work.

Also japanese poster:
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: