News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hasbro Will Lose JP License in 2017

Started by suspsy, July 18, 2016, 09:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnosaur

Gwangi

Matthew Brando has a great channel, I totally agree with him on this.

CarnegieCollector

my biggest wish is that Mattel is smart enough to cover up the screw holes. I personally love Mattel, and Im sure theyll do great with the JW toys.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Derek.McManus

laticauda

Matthew hits it on the nose again.  Make better toys, you get better sales. 

pylraster

You know Hasbro really hit the bottom when even the Mighty Megasaurs are way better than their offerings. I just hope Mattel does some serious effort on the line. If they can give taxidermy-style eyes then much better ^_^

T.rex

I wonder what happened to the Kenner JP molds after Hasbro shut them down? Maybe Mattel could get their hands on them.

suspsy

Even if any of the old Kenner moulds still exist at this point, there's not a salmon steak's chance in a shark tank that Hasbro would allow a rival company like Mattel to use them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Chances are the molds have gone the way of the Dinobots ( the molds for those were also seemingly destroyed )

In hand pics of Hybrid Armor Indominus and Ankylosaurus ( with a guest appearence by Shin Gojira )
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/207974
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/207978

This sums it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

laticauda

It is amazing how badly Hasbro neglected the JP franchise.  They clearly put no work into making the quality of toy they are capable of.  Just look at their Boga figure from Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.  It is large and is made up of a mix of rubber and plastic.  The paint job is nice, there are feathers and scales.  Could you imagine the dinosaurs they could have made if they put this amount of work into the JW toys.  I love that Boga, and I hope Mattel can make dinosaurs with this amount of quality. 

Jose S.M.

I love that creature!  It's a really nice figure and you're right it's way better than the newer JW dinosaurs. It's a shame they didn't put that much effort inin the line.

CarnegieCollector

i still have nightmares over hasbros raptors that lack a sickle toe claw. *shudder*  :-\

Derek.McManus

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 04, 2016, 11:02:40 PM
Chances are the molds have gone the way of the Dinobots ( the molds for those were also seemingly destroyed )

It's very unfortunate when moulds are destroyed especially when the costs involved in making them are so high. I have heard of cases when employees recognised the inherent value of such and saved them or sometimes they are stored away and forgotten about!

suspsy

A friend of mine wrote this on Facebook:

QuoteI see Mattel is taking over the Jurassic Park toy license from Hasbro late next year. So I can look forward to walking through the toy aisles and seeing pegs full of Velociraptor, Stealth Velociraptor (yellow and bright orange, of course), Arctic Velociraptor, Justice Armor Velociraptor, Zipline Velociraptor, Glider Velociraptor, and if you're super lucky and find the one case out of five, you might see the single packed T-Rex.

Time will tell, but there is the possibility that Mattel will do no better with the license than Hasbro. Or worse.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: suspsy on August 16, 2016, 01:46:52 PM

QuoteI see Mattel is taking over the Jurassic Park toy license from Hasbro late next year. So I can look forward to walking through the toy aisles and seeing pegs full of Velociraptor, Stealth Velociraptor (yellow and bright orange, of course), Arctic Velociraptor, Justice Armor Velociraptor, Zipline Velociraptor, Glider Velociraptor, and if you're super lucky and find the one case out of five, you might see the single packed T-Rex.

Time will tell, but there is the possibility that Mattel will do no better with the license than Hasbro. Or worse.

Oh my..........I never thought that maybe they would be.....bad. I don't think you can get much worse than hasbros attempts though *cough* claw-less raptors *cough* screw holes *cough* bad paint applications *cough cough*

terrorchicken

that happened when Mattel lost the Disney Princess doll license to Hasbro. Doll collectors were thrilled that we'd finally get good quality Disney dolls again. But they ended up being as mediocre as the Mattel ones...just with bigger heads.  :P

CityRaptor

Well, Girls Toys generally seem to suck.

Because that totally isn't what Hasbro does, too.

Quote from: laticauda on August 13, 2016, 04:14:55 PM

It is amazing how badly Hasbro neglected the JP franchise.  They clearly put no work into making the quality of toy they are capable of.  Just look at their Boga figure from Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.  It is large and is made up of a mix of rubber and plastic.  The paint job is nice, there are feathers and scales.  Could you imagine the dinosaurs they could have made if they put this amount of work into the JW toys.  I love that Boga, and I hope Mattel can make dinosaurs with this amount of quality. 

Now that is a nice looking lizard steed.

Anyways, we got pics of the Hybrid Rampage Indominus Rex:
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/208285
The prototype clearly looked better....
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Brontozaurus

To be fair on Mattel, it's not like Hasbro doesn't do that already with its own lines (see: the five million repaints of Bumblebee in every Transformers line since 2007).

But yeah. The only thing suggesting that they'll do better than Hasbro is that JW's success has practically handed them an audience. Much as they already make a lot off their current big lines, JW2 promises big $$$ if they do it right.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Dilopho

It's a big shame I couldn't get any of the bashers and biters except the Ankylosaurus. It might be just me but those are the exact type of figures I'd expect from a JP line without the hassle of battery decay.

I also got Echo today! My last member of the Raptor Squad! Yesss!
And I found this interesting article: http://jptopps.tumblr.com/post/118862379730/sooo-i-bought-the-four-pack-of-the

"Somewhere between this stage of the process and the final design, the decision was made at Hasbro to remove the signature claws in favor of generic flat-footed dinosaur feet. It's been suggested that the decision was for safety reasons, or because it was cheaper or easier to produce the toys without the claws, or because the figures had difficulty standing. I don't accept any of these excuses, because other raptor toys have the claw and don't have these issues.
So the story goes that Universal approved the revised design, not realizing they had been changed since the prototypes and the claws removed until it was too late.
"

Archinto

I've seen in plenty of Mattels other dinosaur toys, and they have covers for the screw holes with skin patterning on them. So that should be a good note for those who are concerned. I hope they give the dinosaurs a real try, and give them proper service like the old Kenner dinos. I can say that I did like the dinosaurs they did for Disney, for "Dinosaur". The large Aladar and Carnotaur figures were freaken awesome aside from their cheesy sound cards. The carnotaurus could have had better mouth action was one of my few gripes, as well as those weird metallic paint jobs and light up eyes. O_o The smaller figures they made were better than the jw toys (aside from metal paint jobs and light up eyes) the sculpting was good.

I have high hopes that Mattel might actually do something good. They tend to try to make their movie toys as accurate as possible unless its a forced cartoony version or something. I want to see more action toys and less of the battery operated stuff. Badly programmed electronic sounds limit creative play. This is especially apparent in the big indominus rex. Its sound sequences are awful. I like it better with no batteries. Simple sounds like JP.09 rex has, is great.

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: