You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The most perfect/accurate dinosaur

Started by CarnegieCollector, August 03, 2016, 07:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 03, 2016, 09:16:57 PM

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 03, 2016, 11:50:34 AM
Technically speaking, I imagine the closest to a 'perfectly' accurate figure of a prehistoric dinosaur would have to be a skeletal model. I'm not really sure how you could judge perfect accuracy beyond that, considering the subject would be mostly formed from somebodies individual imagination.

I somewhat disagree, cause skeletal remains allow for a certain, scientifically reasoned, guess about the position and bulk of muscles and tendons. Such reconstructions may be as accurate as the position of bones to each other, so a fleshed skeleton could be as accurate as a mere skeleton could be falsely reconstructed, it all depends on the quality of the fossil remains and the skill of the researchers.

I was only commenting on the 'perfectly accurate' figure idea, and a guess in and of itself, by it's very nature, cannot be confirmed as perfectly accurate. Certainly it is true that a skeletal reconstruction may not be exactly correct if ever compared to the living animal, but it is possible for a figure to be a perfectly accurate depiction of a given skeletal re-construction, which in turn is of the utmost completeness. And I think that's the closest one could get without straying too deep into speculation. That is a different issue altogether from determining the most accurate figure of a living dinosaur however, a debate about which I havent got the knowledge or experience to contribute.  :-X

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 04, 2016, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 03, 2016, 09:16:57 PM

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 03, 2016, 11:50:34 AM
Technically speaking, I imagine the closest to a 'perfectly' accurate figure of a prehistoric dinosaur would have to be a skeletal model. I'm not really sure how you could judge perfect accuracy beyond that, considering the subject would be mostly formed from somebodies individual imagination.

I somewhat disagree, cause skeletal remains allow for a certain, scientifically reasoned, guess about the position and bulk of muscles and tendons. Such reconstructions may be as accurate as the position of bones to each other, so a fleshed skeleton could be as accurate as a mere skeleton could be falsely reconstructed, it all depends on the quality of the fossil remains and the skill of the researchers.

I was only commenting on the 'perfectly accurate' figure idea, and a guess in and of itself, by it's very nature, cannot be confirmed as perfectly accurate. Certainly it is true that a skeletal reconstruction may not be exactly correct if ever compared to the living animal, but it is possible for a figure to be a perfectly accurate depiction of a given skeletal re-construction, which in turn is of the utmost completeness. And I think that's the closest one could get without straying too deep into speculation. That is a different issue altogether from determining the most accurate figure of a living dinosaur however, [...]

Sorry, for any assumptions made by me, as - if I understood you right now - we share the same view on this.

Quote from: Lanthanotus
Perfect is an absolute superlative, so it is a state of reconstruction that cannot be achieved by any scientific research

Quote from: Silvanasaurus
[...] a debate about which I havent got the knowledge or experience to contribute.

From what I know about the history of science of several disciplines, a lot of studied scientists thought (and/or even published) some crackpot ideas, while some of the greatest discoveries have been made by laymen. So I dare say, if someone isn't without any knowledge or experience at all about the matter discussed, one is quite qualified to make some thoughtfull judgements or estimation - after all, it's "just" a thread about toys ;)

Megalosaurus

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on August 03, 2016, 09:13:44 PM
After successfully traveling through time, I am proud to show you the most accurate, true to life, flawless dinosaur toy yet made.
Ladies and gentlemen, BEHOLD!
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/pi4AAOSw0HVWFWZa/s-l225.jpg

Good try, but sorry for you. This is the even a most perfect/accurate dinosaur:

http://m1.paperblog.com/i/103/1037090/the-link-esto-cambia-L-GveuJU.jpeg

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Jetdin

to be honest there is no perfect dino piece.

but i do think this one is close to it. has that titanosaur thickness. quite accurate feet. a great sculpt by sean cooper for an animal that is based on a few backbones, a femur/tibia and reconstructions from closely related animals. 

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Jetdin on May 23, 2017, 04:34:12 AM
to be honest there is no perfect dino piece.

but i do think this one is close to it. has that titanosaur thickness. quite accurate feet. a great sculpt by sean cooper for an animal that is based on a few backbones, a femur/tibia and reconstructions from closely related animals. 

Yes. I have MO's Oviraptor kit, the only one problem of those kits is the leftover bits and pieces are too big that I have to use hand drill to polish them.

Mirroraptor

For the most 'perfect' Jurassic Park model, maybe the only option is the prop replica. Really hard to find and also expensive, but closest to the original shape on the screen.
There are some other options. Horizon Collectibles, in fact they are also prop replica but an early version(not the final version), so So it's different from the screen characters. The T.rex is made by Phil Tippet for original stop-motion prop. Kenner's JP series are also excellent. Some artists who have participated in Jurassic Park also made some JP dinosaur model, for example, Kaiyodo Yamaguchi Sci-fi Revoltech Tyrannosaurus rex made by Shinobu Matsumura. Some Kaiyodo Dinoland figures, and Mike Trcic's dinosaur kits, Jun's Anatomy's dinosaur kits, also in JP style(I mean JP style, but not JP dinosaurs or restore the characters). Galileo Hernandez made some good JP dinosaurs.

Simon

Here is my favorite dinosaur figure at the moment, the Huenghititan by PNSO (sculpted by Xhao Zhiang);  from a distance it looks sublime - like I am looking at a real animal a little farther down in the valley.  It has a real fluid feeling, and from I can tell its pretty well accurate as can be - right down to those massive feet:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.