News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Oh joy, another fantasy dinosaur.  :P
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Derek.McManus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 08, 2017, 08:41:23 PM
And we get a mysterious girl of some sort:
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/823267-first-look-at-the-jurassic-world-sequel-teases-mystery-lead-character#/slide/1

It's probably Maeve's daughter from Westworld after all Michael Crichton wrote it too and it's about a theme park that goes wrong!  ;)

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

To be fair, Kenner proved that JP hybrids can be done right. Admit it, and X-Files-esq Chaos Effect conspiracy thriller would be better than the anti-cap BS they've promised us.

btb300

It's a bit said, that the scaly Velociraptors were a result of choice and not the lack of information in the first movie:
"We knew at the time that velociraptors had feathers, Steven [Spielberg] decided dinosaurs with feathers wouldn't be scary enough," Horner said.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/article/20170311/ARTICLE/170319985
This reduces the chance of ever seeing feathered dinosaurs in Jurassic Park movies even further.  :(
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

BlueKrono

Because Spielberg's directing this one? Maybe times have changed, and the director might realize some people want to see feathered dinosaurs.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

PumperKrickel

deleted

CityRaptor

Well, they could always attest that to using a more complete genome and therefore less filler DNA.

Besides, some designs have not been consistent before.  Just look at the Pteranodon in Lost World, JPIII and Jurassic World. Or the Raptors in JPIII for that matter.
Oh no

PumperKrickel

deleted

Patrx

With that in mind, did anyone else notice that the Tyrannosaurus and the "raptors" in JW look dissimilar to their JP counterparts? This is particularly odd with regard to the Tyrannosaurus, as it is evidently supposed to be the same specimen in both films.

Gwangi

Quote from: Patrx on March 13, 2017, 08:11:53 PM
With that in mind, did anyone else notice that the Tyrannosaurus and the "raptors" in JW look dissimilar to their JP counterparts? This is particularly odd with regard to the Tyrannosaurus, as it is evidently supposed to be the same specimen in both films.

In the case of the Tyrannosaurus she's over 20 years older than she was in "Jurassic Park" which I think explains her appearance. I don't look the same as I did in 1993. :)

As for the different appearance of the dinosaurs between movies they were all subtle changes that the general populace probably didn't even notice, or care about if they did. A few tweaks in design is a far cry from switching from scales to feathers.

CityRaptor

I guess in case of the Raptor Squad it could be due to the filler DNA used. The Raptors were further modified compared to their JP counterparts, with the various members having different DNA.

I also agree about Rexy looking different due to age being a possibility.

The Pteranodon designs however are very different.
Oh no

SpartanSquat

I remember long time ago they wanted to make dinosaurs from different companies like Apple Computers and Microsoft computers, instead computers why not dinosaurs? Example: Ingen Velociraptor is the famous bull eating raptor we saw in the previous films. Now imagine a Biosyn Velociraptor with feathers for people who likes feathers. Or BioIngenyry X company made a scaly butsome parts covered by feathers. The possibilities are infinite

CityRaptor

That could work. Different companies and of course difference in tastes when it comes to cloned creatures. Yeah, the could also deal with awesomebro fans vs. people who prefer accurate ones.
Oh no

The Atroxious

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 09, 2017, 02:33:13 AM
To be fair, Kenner proved that JP hybrids can be done right. Admit it, and X-Files-esq Chaos Effect conspiracy thriller would be better than the anti-cap BS they've promised us.

Hear hear! As a fan of X-Files, and mutants in general, I think such a premise could rekindle my interest in the franchise.

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on March 13, 2017, 08:04:41 PM
Yeah, but I didn´t like those changes either. Especially the raptors changing their appearance this drastically in just a few years made no sense to me. The more complete genome thing makes sense on it´s own, then again why would InGen or whoever suddenly decide to use the more complete genome when they didn´t feel the need to before? I´d even accept that the dinosaurs dna is cleared of frog dna through natural breeding, which would even explain the changes the raptors on Isla Sorna went through. I just think the look of the raptors and the rexes is too iconic at this point and should not be changed without a good reason.

I agree with this. As much as I love my feathered dinosaurs, changing the JP dinosaurs to be more accurate would be way too jarring, especially considering how deeply embedded their images are in modern culture. Yeah, the designs are kind of stale, but I'll take stale designs over a really obvious retcon any day.

btb300

The problem is though, that there isn't really a choice, you have the JP franchise and the odd movie here and there with a few dinosaurs, which are generally no better in terms of accuracy. I wouldn't mind if a new film was not called Jurassi Park or Jurassic World, just get those animals right. It would not even have to be a very expensive movie, if you consider the screen-time of dinosaurs in the first JP movie. So it would not be necessary to pay dozens of programmers for hours of crappy CGI. Less is often more, just like in Signs, or the Alien movies. But unfortunately filmmakers don't seem to be that interested in dinosaurs.
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

BlueKrono

I think a tv show like Walking With... might be your best bet for that. Did anyone see Terra Nova?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 14, 2017, 12:11:13 PM
I think a tv show like Walking With... might be your best bet for that. Did anyone see Terra Nova?

Yep I think it's on Netflix now?   Was just starting to like it when it was canceled.

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---director JA Bayona posted a photo emphasizing his promise to feature practical effects dinosaurs instead of CGI dinosaurs.

Neosodon

Quote from: dragon53 on March 21, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
JURASSIC WORLD 2---director JA Bayona posted a photo emphasizing his promise to feature practical effects dinosaurs instead of CGI dinosaurs.
That's pretty exiting. I wonder what dinosaurs they are making. The last puppet dinosaurs to be used were in 1999 WWD I think. So I will have high expectations.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: