News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My book collection- image intensive

Started by tyrantqueen, June 05, 2012, 08:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I decided to make a thread of my dinosaur book collection. I have mostly encyclopedia type books that catalogue a wide range of species- I am not interested in individual paleontologists or periods in the history of paleontology, just the dinosaurs themselves.

Oh, and you won't find any Luis Rey here  >:D

I'll start with my favourite book so far The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs by Dougal Dixon.

Super Giants by Don Lessem, and illustrated by David Peters. It's actually a great book, despite the controversy surrounding the illustrator.

Is it me, or does this Apatosaurus look uncannily similar to the Sideshow Apatosaurus maquette? :O

Another favourite The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs by David Norman (I think it was illustrated by John Sibbick) It's dated now, but I still really like it for the information and artwork :)

The Brachiosaurus looks like it inspired (or was inspired by) the Carnegie Giraffatitan.

A good companion to this book is the Illustrated Enyclopedia Of Pterosaurs by Peter Wellnhofer, and illustrated by John Sibbick. I like that this book also includes information about old, discarded theories on the pterosaurs themselves.

Dinosaurs and their World by Steve Parker.

I got this one because of this retro artwork, such as this Bakker style deinonychus.

Prehistoric Animals- The Extraordinary Story of Life before Man. This one is very dated but has some nice photos of old museum models. I like it.

The Complete Book of Dinosaurs by Steve Parker. Not too keen on this one, maybe because I just didn't like the art style very much. It is a bit dated now, many of the dinosaurs still drag their tails, but it does cover many species and contains some good information.

National Geographic's Ultimate Dino-Pedia- this one is a kids book but I like the artwork. It is very nice to look at and mostly accurate, apart from a few zombie hands here and there.

The Dinosaur Coloring Book by Anthony Rao- this is not strictly a book about dinosaurs but I bought it because I loved the artwork. It is dated but has a lot of charm.

Finally, is Dinosaur Collectibles by Dana Cain and Mike Fredericks. This is a book about dinosaur collectibles obviously, particularly plastic replicas. It is good but pretty useless for modern day collectors, since it only covers figures made up to the late 90s

That's it for now, but I have more books on the way so I will post more acquisitions when I get the chance :D

sepp

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 05, 2012, 08:34:36 AM

Is it me, or does this Apatosaurus look uncannily similar to the Sideshow Apatosaurus maquette? :O

Not only that...

(ganking photo from postsauriscian)

Gwangi

Nice collection. I'm very envious of you pterosaur book by Peter Wellnhofer, I still need to get that one.

tyrantqueen

Got a new one, Princeton's Field Guide to Dinosaurs. Very technical but the illustrations are beautiful  :)

Those are some serious child birthing hips right there :))

Takama

Ive always wonderd what the inside of that book looked like, for it is one ive been eying for months at my closest B&N store, but couldint open it to read because of its plastic seal.

Plus i keep spending money on Figures more then books :P

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on June 06, 2012, 11:45:55 PM
Ive always wonderd what the inside of that book looked like, for it is one ive been eying for months at my closest B&N store, but couldint open it to read because of its plastic seal.

Plus i keep spending money on Figures more then books :P

You should be able to request an unsealed copy of the book at B&N. At Borders at least they told me they're supposed to have one in stock for customers who want to look at the book. Either way Amazon is the way to go. Not only can you actually view the book on the site but you can also buy it cheaper than you could in any book store, especially if you don't mind a used copy.
You should probably just get the book. I don't know if you've viewed my book collection but of all those books the "field guide" is probably the one I turn to the most when I need a reference for a particular dinosaur. My only complaint about it is the weird taxonomy Greg Paul favors but beyond that it is among the better and more up-to-date books written within the last several years.

sauroid

very nice collection tyrantqueen. i have some of the books you have too. i'd like to have G.S.P.'s book someday soon. i usually get old books (in great condition) in 2nd hand bookstores at really low prices (usually 50% and less). im very particular about the condition of the book, but i do buy ones that arent in excellent shape as long as they are very low-priced (like the Prehistoric Animals '70s book which i got for $1.50). i might also get that F. Tempesta book that you have (available in regular bookstores ATM). i could kick myself for passing up on the Pterosaur book. i saw it in my fave 2nd hand bookstore, had second thoughts about the price, and when i returned the following day to finally buy it, it was gone. oh well.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: sauroid on June 08, 2012, 06:46:53 AM
very nice collection tyrantqueen. i have some of the books you have too. i'd like to have G.S.P.'s book someday soon. i usually get old books (in great condition) in 2nd hand bookstores at really low prices (usually 50% and less). im very particular about the condition of the book, but i do buy ones that arent in excellent shape as long as they are very low-priced (like the Prehistoric Animals '70s book which i got for $1.50). i might also get that F. Tempesta book that you have (available in regular bookstores ATM). i could kick myself for passing up on the Pterosaur book. i saw it in my fave 2nd hand bookstore, had second thoughts about the price, and when i returned the following day to finally buy it, it was gone. oh well.
Thanks! I got Greg Paul's book brand new for 25 GBP, which is rather a lot for a book. The pterosaur book is really worth it IMO, the info is second-to-none, even if it is out of date.

tyrantqueen

Sorry for the double post, but I am back and have more books  >:D

The Illustrated Dictionary of Dinosaurs by Helen Roney Sattler.

Decent info, but all in black and white, and not completely illustrated throughout.

A Gallery of Dinosaurs and Other Early Reptiles by David Peters. This one is amazing :O The artwork is really exquisite and very accurate for its time. There is even a feathered maniraptor :O And the pages fold out- it was hard to fit into the camera frame XDDD

Macmillan Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals by various authors. It has some good information, and decent illustration.

A nice one here, The Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Creatures by Steve Parker. This has some really good information and covers many areas of prehistoric life, although the illustrations aren't the best.

Thanks for looking  ^-^

Takama

Ah yes, This book is excellent, despite a few questionable statements, (Megalosaurus hunted herbivores such as Iguanadon) what were they reading when they were researching for this book?

tyrantqueen

Hello,
I return, with 2 new books

First off, the Childcraft annual of Dinosaurs. Thanks to Sharptooth for inspiring me to get this one ^-^

That poor Corytho XDDDD

And secondly, the Humongous Book of Dinosaurs, by David Norman (I think...?) This one is a 1000 pages long, full of retro goodness ;D

The artwork is kinda a mixed bag. We have fairly accurate, well drawn illustrations like this....

To abominations like this skinned-alive Dilophosaurus  :o

It also covers non dinos, such as flying reptiles and marine reptiles  ^-^

Something else I found rather interesting....

This "herd" of Iguanodon, composed of some very familar looking sculpts. If they're supposed to be the same herd, (and the same species) why do they look so different?

Sadly the original 3D glasses were lost :(

Very familar don't you think?  ;)

Nonetheless I am very happy with these two, even if they are hopelessly outdated.

Takama

Childcraft annual.

My gosh, I own the 1985 one :).

Tell me, Did you see that creepy scene with the Thirzinosaur hand sticking out of the trees? :P

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on June 16, 2012, 04:05:39 PM
Childcraft annual.

My gosh, I own the 1985 one :).

Tell me, Did you see that creepy scene with the Thirzinosaur hand sticking out of the trees? :P
Yup I did :)) I assume that when the book was published, the only part they had of Therizinosaurus was the arm? I guess that was their way of working around it ;)

CityRaptor

Oh yes, I have all the single issues tht make up that book.

As for the Iguanodons, you know, the two Carnegies also do not look like they are convnced that the Invicta is one of them. ;D
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Got a new book, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth by Dr David Norman and illustrated by my fave, John Sibbick :)

This book is pretty short, about 20 pages or less :/

I showed this page to my sister, and asked her what she thought the apato's neck looked like....cover your eyes kiddies XD

I also received Building and Painting Model Dinosaurs by Ray Rimell, which was a little tricky to get ahold of since it's out of print. It is interesting to read, but sadly is out of date, and would really have been a better book if it was in complete colour :-\

Roselaar

Is it the bad lighting, or is that Invicta Troodon painted like the one that popped up on Ebay a few weeks ago? Very interesting!

And good collection too. :)

tyrantqueen

Thank you for the comments ^-^

I think it's a different custom, because in the book the Troodon is a very light green. The custom on eBay was a dark green colour.

Roselaar

Any advice on where I can get a copy of Dinosaur Collectibles? Outdated or not, as the only book on dinosaur toys I feel I should own a copy. Plus, there's JP toys in there.

tyrantqueen

I got mine here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinosaur-Collectibles-Dana-Cain/dp/0930625994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341593283&sr=8-1

You might be able to get one there if the sellers are okay with international shipping.

Do you guys have Amazon in the Netherlands btw?

Roselaar

Nope, we haven't got any real Amazon here, just expensive copycats. Thanks for the link!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: