News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2016, 06:24:59 PM
Well, as long as we're speculating, I'm gonna throw in a wild card: maybe the azhdarchid is Zhejiangopterus, which if I remember correctly is the most completely known member of the family.

That would certainly be interesting! Though I've generally seen Zhejiangopterus restored looking rather more robust than this figure appears to be. It's gracile nature fits more with larger azhdarchids. I'm not sure why so many people are disappointed with the flying pose. Collecta has two really good walking ones that do just fine for me, but I have yet to find a good flier. I have the old Carnegie one, which frankly is essentially just a plus-sized female Pteranodon, and the Schleich one isn't much better. If this new model was another flying Pteranodon, I would agree that's been overdone, but nobody's got a flying azhdarchid quite right yet.

I kinda like the mosasaur's coloration; it's nice to see a sea reptile that's not blue, grey, or green. I could see something like this stalking a prehistoric kelp forest or sargasso sea perhaps. And I agree with everyone else: that T. rex is EPIC.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Dilopho on August 24, 2016, 06:52:33 PM
I'm really digging the scars on the rex but what are they from? They look like Tyrannosaurus claw marks but smaller.

Anyway, the T. rex is a bit too "Woah, EXTREME SCARY DINOSAUR! RooAAr!!!" for my tastes but the sculpting is really, really impressive!

...and...I totally want that squid... ;D :'(

Maybe sexy Rexy unsexily stumbled into a tree? Tree bark can be pretty scratchy... (lol, jk)

I think that squid might be a Humboldt! They're the 3rd largest squid if I remember right (up to 6 feet long), and they can be very aggressive and sometimes even dangerous to humans! They are apparently frequent subjects of "big fish" tales that Mexican fishermen like to tell to scare tourists.

John

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 24, 2016, 11:54:40 AM

Unfortunately until Safari Ltd identifies and releases details on the pieces I am not at liberty to divulge anything...

...I can say of the three prehistoric pieces in this image I only did two of them.

I'm guessing that the Tyrannosaurus is one of yours,but I'm not too sure whether it's the Tylosaurus or Quetzalcoatlus that is the other one...

And I hope that there are still one or two more to be revealed. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 24, 2016, 10:57:35 PM
It's gracile nature fits more with larger azhdarchids.
Not with Hatzegopteryx ;). I'm betting that it's Quetzalcoatlus since it's the most famous (although, it's also the most poorly known of the giant azhdarchids...), but I would be pleasantly surprised if we get an Arambourgiania for a change! Especially since all Quetzalcoatlus figures are basically "Quetzalcoatlus" sp. anyway.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 24, 2016, 11:23:48 PM
Not with Hatzegopteryx ;). I'm betting that it's Quetzalcoatlus since it's the most famous (although, it's also the most poorly known of the giant azhdarchids...), but I would be pleasantly surprised if we get an Arambourgiania for a change! Especially since all Quetzalcoatlus figures are basically "Quetzalcoatlus" sp. anyway.

There are still giant azhdarchids other than Haztegopteryx, not including Q. northropi. They just are unnamed.

Yeah, larger azhdarchids may actually be more robust than the smaller ones, I mean Hatzegopteryx has pretty robust, and has a shorter neck and slightly wider and blunter bill.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on August 24, 2016, 11:26:34 PM

There are still giant azhdarchids other than Haztegopteryx, not including Q. northropi. They just are unnamed.

Yeah, larger azhdarchids may actually be more robust than the smaller ones, I mean Hatzegopteryx has pretty robust, and has a shorter neck and slightly wider and blunter bill.
Yeah, but I doubt Safari is releasing a figure of an unnamed species.

Really, with what's currently known, Arambourgiania is the only one that is definitely quite gracile. We know next to nothing about what Quetzalcoatlus looked like, and Hatzegopteryx is extremely robust for a pterosaur.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SBell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 24, 2016, 11:29:09 PM
Quote from: Balaur on August 24, 2016, 11:26:34 PM

Yeah, but I doubt Safari is releasing a figure of an unnamed species.

To be fair, they did make one--it is the one labelled 'pterosau', based on an undescribed African pterosaur c/o Paul Sereno and co, I believe.

It pretty much looks like Anhanguera, but technically, isn't named (unless something changed...this stuff can change so fast).

stargatedalek

I doubt the cephalopod is a Humboldt, the fins have too large a surface where they meat the body and don't "fold over" themselves like a Humboldt's do. My money is on a cuttlefish or bobtail squid.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 24, 2016, 08:10:04 PM
I don't think the "Tylosaurus" is  a repaint as it seems to sport a larger angle of the jaw than the original.

As I said in my post, I was joking about the mosasaur being a repainted Carnegie Tylosaurus.  The jaws do seem like they could be opened wider on the new WS mosasaur, but what makes me more confident it isn't a repaint is that the skin folds on the neck are different to the Carnegie Tylo's, and as I mentioned in my previous post, in the larger image I linked to the new mosasaur figure appears to have a forked tongue unlike the Carnegie Tylo.

The Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari have always been kept separate, without sculpts from one line ever appearing in the other.  I think the reason for these two separate lines was due to Safari being the distributor rather than the owner for the Carnegie Collection while owning Wild Safari.  The partnership between Safari and Carnegie has ended because of disagreement between the two.  I don't see Carnegie Collection repaints, retools, etc. appearing in the Wild Safari line as has been the case up till now.

sauroid

now that we have decent feathered CollectA and WS T. rexes, would a feathered Papo rex be coming soon? they recently made a feathered Velociraptor after all. (not counting on Schleich to make a stunning feathered rex AT ALL.)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tanystropheus

Quote from: sauroid on August 25, 2016, 07:09:22 AM
now that we have decent feathered CollectA and WS T. rexes, would a feathered Papo rex be coming soon? they recently made a feathered Velociraptor after all. (not counting on Schleich to make a stunning feathered rex AT ALL.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Papo made a feathered Apatosaurus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2016, 11:47:24 PM
I doubt the cephalopod is a Humboldt, the fins have too large a surface where they meat the body and don't "fold over" themselves like a Humboldt's do. My money is on a cuttlefish or bobtail squid.

I want a googly-eyed squid  :D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on August 24, 2016, 11:48:06 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 24, 2016, 08:10:04 PM
I don't think the "Tylosaurus" is  a repaint as it seems to sport a larger angle of the jaw than the original.

As I said in my post, I was joking about the mosasaur being a repainted Carnegie Tylosaurus.  The jaws do seem like they could be opened wider on the new WS mosasaur, but what makes me more confident it isn't a repaint is that the skin folds on the neck are different to the Carnegie Tylo's, and as I mentioned in my previous post, in the larger image I linked to the new mosasaur figure appears to have a forked tongue unlike the Carnegie Tylo.

The Carnegie Collection and Wild Safari have always been kept separate, without sculpts from one line ever appearing in the other.  I think the reason for these two separate lines was due to Safari being the distributor rather than the owner for the Carnegie Collection while owning Wild Safari.  The partnership between Safari and Carnegie has ended because of disagreement between the two.  I don't see Carnegie Collection repaints, retools, etc. appearing in the Wild Safari line as has been the case up till now.

That would be great if it does have the forked tongue. I wonder if it has the caudal fin.

Dilopho

Not counting on schleich to make a stunning feathered rex AT ALL
I wouldn't count on Schleich to make a feathered rex at all

sauroid

Quote from: Dilopho on August 25, 2016, 11:50:53 AM
Not counting on schleich to make a stunning feathered rex AT ALL
I wouldn't count on Schleich to make a feathered rex at all
there's a possibility that they might in a few years, but it would look ridiculous that there's no point of looking forward to it. (for one, it will have an articulated jaw and stupid looking blunted teeth)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2016, 11:47:24 PM

I would be guessing a colossal squid. Very recognizable species, and it has that same wide body.

Sim

I kinda like the mosasaur's coloration; it's nice to see a sea reptile that's not blue, grey, or green. I could see something like this stalking a prehistoric kelp forest or sargasso sea perhaps.

You mean like the similarly coloured Wild Safari Plesiosuchus and Carnegie Tylosaurus? ;)  I find this new WS mosasaur's colouration looks better than that of those other two figures so far, although it's yet to be seen how good it will look on the final toy version.  However, I actually really like plesiosauroids and pliosauroids in blue/black and I'd really like to see up-to-date figures of these in those colours.  Brown/beige/yellow seems to be used often for them.  That's not counting Liopleurodon which is almost always given a colour scheme that's nearly identical to the one used in Walking with Dinosaurs.

Paleona

I'm a few days late, but wow! That feathered rex looks stunning from this photo~! Let's hope his teeth are painted that neatly in person! :)) At this point, it looks like a must-have for me.

empire3569

So I messaged Safari, they said the Dinos will start to be available in October! Just over one month! I hope the T-rex is among the first to be released

Postosuchus84

That T.rex looks awesome. I'm looking forward to it! Their other offerings look fantastic too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: