News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: SBell on September 16, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.

>>insert evil laugh<<

^-^

. . . do you know something? ???
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnosaur

Yeah....
For the most part i welcome new figures.
But the quality of Safari's painting is a put off.
Its too simple and sloppy considering what these figures cost.

lately it seems Safari has been on a slippery slope going down hill.
While CollectA, Papo, Rebor, heck even Schleich seems to be improving.
They need to up their quality if they wanna stay in the game.

tanystropheus

The Diplo looks perfect, even better than their previous effort. Looks more robust.

The V-raptor seems to have something that resembles the mane (?) of a mandarin duck.

The Giga is also a nice model, and the legs are amply built.

No ceratopsian?  :'(

It would have been nice if everything was colored as vibrantly as the T-rex in that promo pic. I have a feeling the consumer version of T-rex will be slightly diluted. I hope not.

Jose S.M.

I really don't know why there's been so much criticism to Safari's paintijobs lately, most of my figures are Wild Safari, and none of them has sloppy paintjob, there's some errors but only noticiable very upclose. In fact I've seen most praising Collecta for getting better (they are getting better and it's awesome) but my biggest sloppy paintjob offender is the new Lythronax, I love it but the pink inside it's mouth runs through all it's teeth. This years figures were very dull in coloration, but in mine the paint is well applied. And I got them from Amazon so I coudn't even examine the figures before. I don't know if I'm just very lucky.

That being said, I'm not too crazy about the Giganotosaurus color scheme, probably it's going to be the first new figure I'll have repaint.

Manatee

Quote from: Joe289 on September 16, 2016, 02:50:06 AM
I really don't know why there's been so much criticism to Safari's paintijobs lately, most of my figures are Wild Safari, and none of them has sloppy paintjob, there's some errors but only noticiable very upclose. In fact I've seen most praising Collecta for getting better (they are getting better and it's awesome) but my biggest sloppy paintjob offender is the new Lythronax, I love it but the pink inside it's mouth runs through all it's teeth. This years figures were very dull in coloration, but in mine the paint is well applied. And I got them from Amazon so I coudn't even examine the figures before. I don't know if I'm just very lucky.

That being said, I'm not too crazy about the Giganotosaurus color scheme, probably it's going to be the first new figure I'll have repaint.

This one's the worst offender to me, but their paint jobs have generally declined in quality over the past year or so; compare any 2016 model to, say, their Gryposaurus. I do think some of the criticism is a bit overblown, and the stripes on the Giganotosaurus and on the diplodocid are the only notable problems I see in the 2017 models (and, then again, they may be subject to change, so who knows?), but some of it's definitely still deserved, as with the example above.

On a side note, the 2017 Safaris look great! The velociraptorine in particular is very exciting for me, as someone who absolutely adores fluffy dinosaurs.

Jose S.M.

I don't own the Plesiosuchus but yeah that paint application in the teeth is not the best... I do own the Gryposaurus and comparing to the Iguanodon for example,  the overall coloration of the Gryposaurus is more exciting,  I think the brown on the Iguanodon's  torso is too dark and not that attractive,  but the paint is well applied,  at least in mine. Maybe I just love my Iguanodon hehe I think it deserves more love,  maybe if it's coloration was more vivid it would stand out more.

tanystropheus

The Gryposaurus is gorgeous. I made a slight modification in color to the spines running down Grypo's back. The spines are now dark grayish blue (similar to the color of the body and toe nails).

I am pleased with the paint job on the Iguanodon. I picked it up last week.

The color on the hadrosaur eyes are quite striking, especially the Grypo with the baby blue hues.

Edit: I accidentally called the Iguanodon a hadrosaur. Forgive me.

Takama

What ever line these new dinos are a part of. There exceptional.

I bet the Giganotosaurus is white because of a certain movie monster that I hate with a passion.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Carnosaur on September 16, 2016, 02:28:09 AM
Yeah....
For the most part i welcome new figures.
But the quality of Safari's painting is a put off.
Its too simple and sloppy considering what these figures cost.

lately it seems Safari has been on a slippery slope going down hill.
While CollectA, Papo, Rebor, heck even Schleich seems to be improving.
They need to up their quality if they wanna stay in the game.
I disagree. Wild Safari figures are neither as large nor as expensive as comparable CollectA figures so it's completely within reason the application will on average not be as good. Papo let alone REBOR are in a completely different price league from Wild Safari, a similarly sized Papo will typically cost over double a Wild Safari figure. And I for one would rather have a poorly applied but well designed paint scheme by Safari than a well applied boring and dirt coloured or JP ripoff from REBOR.

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 16, 2016, 02:42:17 AM
The V-raptor seems to have something that resembles the mane (?) of a mandarin duck.
I initially thought the same, but glancing at the skeletal I think that's just because we're so used to seeing Velociraptors thin neck on prominent display and this is actually closer to what most birds have on their necks.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on September 16, 2016, 04:11:38 AM
What ever line these new dinos are a part of. There exceptional.

I bet the Giganotosaurus is white because of a certain movie monster that I hate with a passion.

Good point. I completely forgot about that for a sec!

Gwangi

I highly doubt that. And BTW, didn't you review an Indominus for the blog?

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on September 16, 2016, 04:47:21 AM

I highly doubt that. And BTW, didn't you review an Indominus for the blog?

Yes but i bought them because there JP Toys. and they might be worth something a decade from now.   

Takama

there are 13 Diffrent Prehistoric models to be out next year

Quote from: sbellAs someone who just viewed the (still secret) 2017 offerings...the video didn't capture most of them.

For example--thirteen prehistoric animals!

I don't know when it is all being released as info--they are giving 'release dates' for the product as pretty soon...!

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on September 16, 2016, 02:21:56 AM
Quote from: SBell on September 16, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Hmmm. The Diplodocus and the Giganotosaurus don't look like Doug Watson's style.

I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.

>>insert evil laugh<<

^-^

. . . do you know something? ???

I know lots of things...!

As for some other posts...nope, no particular new line. 'Just' WS Prehistoric World, same as last year's name (that line has changed names many times, but has remained thematically consistent at least!)

There are some obvious inspirations in many of the releases. A hint has already come out.

WS dinos never released a Diplodocus before . That was Carnegie.

My son and daughter are thrilled at what they saw. Therefore, therefore, Safari has reached their #1 target market. Also, dragons. SOOOO many dragons.

Flaffy

Quote from: Takama on September 16, 2016, 06:01:59 AM

Quote from: sbellAs someone who just viewed the (still secret) 2017 offerings...the video didn't capture most of them.

I don't know when it is all being released as info--they are giving 'release dates' for the product as pretty soon...!
13 figures?!  :o :o :o :o :o

MLMjp

Quote from: Takama on September 16, 2016, 06:01:59 AM

What?! :o
If this is a joke and you do not tell us right now. I will hunt you down until there's now tomorrow, and then feed you to my theropods for creating false hopes to the forum. >:D

But if it is true.....This is going to be amazing! ;D

Takama

I take it most of 2017 Dinosaurs are Wild Safari editions of Carnegie Collection models.

CityRaptor

That makes sense. Think of them as replacement. Them re-releasing the Carnegies under a different name might cause legal issues.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I like the Giganotosaurus but the colour is awful. It's definitely gonna get a new coat of paint if/when I get it.

pylraster

We can only hope that they're bigger in scale. It's only proper that a new line would fill the void left behind by Carnegie. Though I hope they would stick to a particular scale. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: