News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dilopho on October 02, 2016, 06:28:21 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on October 02, 2016, 05:42:34 PM
Yeah that T-Rex needs to go on a diet!
A DIET?!?  ::)

Quotes from xkcd:
Tyrannosaurus rex weighed about as much as an elephant.
No one is totally sure what dinosaur metabolism looked like, but the best guesses for how much food T-rex ate seem to cluster around 40,000 calories per day.
(Read the rest of the article, it's very interesting! https://what-if.xkcd.com/78/)
So if anything, this T. rex looks pretty alright in weight!  :)

Not sure how PC it is to call a gravid T-rex fat 8)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on October 02, 2016, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 02, 2016, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 02, 2016, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on October 02, 2016, 06:25:24 AM
Regarding related species,

The Mosasaur's color pattern resembles that of the Tylosaurus
The Kronosaurus' color pattern resembles that of the Lipleurodon
The Giganotosaurus' color pattern resembles that of the Zedonk

The new Safari mosasaur is a Tylosaurus.  In case you didn't know, "Mosasaur" shouldn't be in italics as it's not a scientific species name.

Which would apply with equal force to "zedonk."

Good catch, Tim!  That slipped past me, probably because I'm too busy.

Haha. Did y'all catch the part (e.g. related species) where the Giga is not related to the Zedonk  ;)

Dilopho

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 02, 2016, 07:52:32 PM
Not sure how PC it is to call a gravid T-rex fat 8)
Well it might not be gravid. T. rex is supposed to look this big!

Yutyrannus

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised so many people are criticizing the Tyrannosaurus' bulk. That's one of the things that makes this figure so accurate, Tyrannosaurus really did have a lot of girth to it.

On another note, all these figures are looking great so far! Definitely looking forward to the Psittacosaurus reveal

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Dinoguy2

Yup, too bad almost all theropod mounts, for some reason, leave out the belly ribs, or this would be common knowledge.

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

terrorchicken

^wow it really was a chubster...Ill reserve my opinions on the T-rex until we get more pics though.

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on September 30, 2016, 10:28:27 PM
So, where is the T-Rex silhouette? When I go to the safari site and type in either Dinosaur or Tyrannosaurus it doesn't show up. Same with The new Velociraptor. I know so,done showed them here.

Chris

I did a search for Microraptor on Safari's website and no Microraptor figures showed up.  It looks like the new 2017 figures don't show up in searches yet.

They can all be seen in the new figures section on Safari's website though: https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys/#dinosaurs=92&isAjax=1

Dobber

Thanks Sim  ;)

I love how this Rex is looking. I mentioned in another thread...I think the PNSO thread and someone else said here, when you look at Sue you can see how low "her" pubic boot hangs so if you try and picture it with flesh you will see a very Robust looking animal.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dilopho

Jose S.M.

The Velociraptor! I think it's awesome, and in the "cinematic" poster it looked kind of weird to me, but in this one and with various angles it looks great.

tyrantqueen

So it seems T. rex was a bit of a fatty in real life :) Looks like this toy will capture how powerful this animal really was.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 02, 2016, 11:26:45 PM
So it seems T. rex was a bit of a fatty in real life :) Looks like this toy will capture how powerful this animal really was.

Yes all without a hit of Jurassic park influence.

Dobber

In case anyone missed it Safari said on their FaceBook page that the Rex, Velociraptor, and Giganotosaurus will be officially reveals on thier site on Monday. Can't wait to see more angles.

Chris

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

AcroSauroTaurus

My daily opinions.

Tyrannosaurus: Really good, feathering covers enough of the body, plus it has plenty of bulk on it. Gonna say its a male, it seems relatively colorful. Could be a female though since the colors aren't bright. Looks really good, definitely getting this one. I love the inclusion of scars, the sculpts for my figure line have scars as well.

Velociraptor: Seriously, this is one that they needed to update, and I'm glad that they finally did. The old one was nice in a artistic view, but as far as accuracy... well, lets just say it was, lacking. I love this new Veloci, the bird aspect is shown very well. And I love the colors, its gotta be a male with those white/black wing and tail feathers.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 02, 2016, 07:54:00 PM

Haha. Did y'all catch the part (e.g. related species) where the Giga is not related to the Zedonk  ;)

Aw dang! You've thrown my knowledge of theropod and perissodactyl taxonomy completely on its head.

Agree with DinoGuy2 above that nearly everything this year is the best version yet of its genus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

Velociraptor for those who don't follow their Facebook.

Honestly, the two raptors are must-buys.  I'm not so sure I'll go for rexy though.  Not cause it's bulky, but...that unfeathered bit is very awkward to me. :-\
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

The Atroxious

I'm absolutely loving what I'm seeing in the Microraptor and, surprisingly, Coelophysis. I used to love "Syntarsus" when I was a kid because it was depicted as looking so awesome, but as Coelophysis it was usually depicted in a rather boring manner. This version from Safari looks gorgeous. I love the color scheme (though I wonder why that particular color scheme is repeatedly applied to that genus) and how svelte it looks.

I actually prefer that Microraptor to the Velociraptor. It's pose is very dynamic, and while the paint application leaves something to be desired, especially with the bright yellow hands and feet, it looks much more attractive than the muddy-looking Velociraptor. The Velociraptor sculpt is great, but I really don't think reddish brown and green go very well together. Probably going to buy it and repaint.

I'm kind of more and more on the fence about Giga. The head sculpt is lovely, but the body looks much too fleshy for my tastes, especially the back legs. It looks like all the weight went straight to its thighs.

For what it's worth, I don't think the Tyrannosaurus looks particularly fat. This is a very bulky animal we're talking about, with a body that's both wide and deep, not unlike that of a spotted hyena. Huge, broad skull, plus huge, broad ribcage equals big, bulky animal. Tyranmosaurus also had a very deep pelvis, which made it look even bigger. Add a coat of feathers and it looks absolutely massive. On the Safari figure however, you can see the edges of the pubic boot, so it doesn't at all look fat to me. It doesn't really seem to show much in the way of copious soft tissue (to be fair, the feathers make it harder to discern) so it doesn't look any fatter than a wild hyena or elephant does: heavily built, yet lean.

Shonisaurus

My opinions:

The Coelophysis the best of the bunch with a conservative colors. Perhaps one of the best in the group.

Quetzalcoatlus is good figure, but I've noticed that the peak is like something bent by manufacturing errors, and ultimately what I do not like is the pink skull crest.

The giganotosaurus I do not think its natural coloring but is an improvement over Carnegie have to see the final figure.

Feathered velociraptor colors are too garish but he walks away as the Coelophysis and tyrannosaurus be Feathered dinosaurs rex science fiction movie.

Microraptor, celebrated its muted colors, but do not observe the row of teeth must have that dinosaur.

The tyrannosaurus rex is very well done, and as has been said quite bulky but due to recent studies based on dinosaurs like the mummified body of hadrosaurid "Dakota" whose skeletons were misinterpreted by the desconocimento the body and indicate that the dinosaurs they were much bulkier.

The Parasaurolophus is a dinosaur in the market rather trite and repeated in the toy world, toy, and it is my humble opinion the weakest of the group figure.

By the way, I tried to access the website and obscures www.safariltd.com at all the figures, even those already released. It is as if locked.

Moreover access the official website Collecta is an impossible task is as blocked at least from my computer, maybe why you will soon change in appearance?

Time will tell.

Jose S.M.

They site seems to be down since this morning. I can't access either.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.