You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hello everyone new vintage collector

Started by dpepinmarquette, August 28, 2016, 08:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpepinmarquette

Hello everyone,
I have been skulking around the forum for a couple weeks now and finally decided to register.  I have just recently come back to the world of dinosaurs that I had loved so much as a kid. It all started a couple months ago when I found a very nice yellow plastic Iguanodan for a quarter in a bin of toys at a local thrift store. I have always loved old toys and I am always on the look out for anything I find interesting.  What I found interesting about this plastic dino was the great look of it and the writing on it's belly. I could tell this was no "Made in China" toy. But on it's belly it said it was an Invicta and that it came from a line sold in the British Museum. Now I know all of you are very familiar with the Invicta line but I had never heard of them. So I went home and started looking up any info I could find about my new treasure.  After reading about Invicta I started reading all about the Marx dinosaur line.  I found the Marx line interesting because I have always loved old marx toys and couldn't believe how many of my childhood Chinasaurs were based on Marx designs. From there I ended up reading for hours online about all the different dinosaur lines and checking out all the  amazing collections people have. I was hooked.   So it has been a couple months now and I have a small but nice collection of dinosaurs and I figured it was time to join in on this forum. I am most interested in the vintage lines and I would have to say my favorites so far are....

J.H. Miller, Marx, Invicta, Imperial, and some of the old premiums

I also wanted to say that i rarely join forums so if I am not posting correctly or anything like that please feel free to let me know.

Jose S.M.

Hello and welcome,  I hope you have a good time here!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Archinto

Welcome to the boards! Be sure to check out my collection here, theres lots of stuff right up your alley :) looking forward to seeing your collection as it grows!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

dpepinmarquette

dpepinmarquette

Quote from: Archinto on August 29, 2016, 05:58:21 AM
Welcome to the boards! Be sure to check out my collection here, theres lots of stuff right up your alley :) looking forward to seeing your collection as it grows!

Yes, you're right I did enjoy looking through your collection. I really like your Millers, are they all the large size? The three I have are all from the small line but someday I would love to have a full set of both. I also really like your Imperials and AAA dinos. I have a soft spot in my heart for these because of how many of them I had as a kid.  I would also like to find some of those SRG dinos you have . I really like the look of them.  Another item you have that I have been looking to replace from my childhood is the Imperial "Dragons Knights & Daggers" Two Headed Dragon.  I had that exact color as a kid.  I would use it when playing with my DFC fantasy playset.  Are you familiar with DFC.  They were basically D&D knock off playsets from the 80's. I had the Dungeon of Castelon playset as a kid but I have found it was one of the more rare sets produced from that line.

DinoToyForum

Archinto

Quote from: dpepinmarquette on August 30, 2016, 03:38:17 PM

Yes, you're right I did enjoy looking through your collection. I really like your Millers, are they all the large size? The three I have are all from the small line but someday I would love to have a full set of both. I also really like your Imperials and AAA dinos. I have a soft spot in my heart for these because of how many of them I had as a kid.  I would also like to find some of those SRG dinos you have . I really like the look of them.  Another item you have that I have been looking to replace from my childhood is the Imperial "Dragons Knights & Daggers" Two Headed Dragon.  I had that exact color as a kid.  I would use it when playing with my DFC fantasy playset.  Are you familiar with DFC.  They were basically D&D knock off playsets from the 80's. I had the Dungeon of Castelon playset as a kid but I have found it was one of the more rare sets produced from that line.

Not sure about the dfc figures. Ill have to look em up i may have some. :)

Ive got a serious soft spot for my dragons knights and daggers figures. I recently got a two headed serpent dragon ill be posting soon. They are quite available in all colors on ebay. The chariot sets ard rather spendy tho.... very rare to findem complete. My mom bought us lots of imperial figures because of how durable and inexpensive they were. They were a definite favorite of mine as well as a young kid. I had some mpc painted figures as well as a dino riders triceratops. I think i might still have the dinosaur somewhere unless it went in the missing box of dinosaurs....

All my millers are the large size. Aside from the brontotherium i have them all. Id like to get one someday but a deal hasnt surfaced. Id like to get the small set someday too, but alas the pricing... nothing beats finding old figures for a rare deal. I got all my millers besides the triceratops in a thrift store lot for less than $10... helps to hunt regularly.

Post your collection sometime :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

dpepinmarquette

Quote from: Archinto on August 30, 2016, 09:25:06 PM
Quote from: dpepinmarquette on August 30, 2016, 03:38:17 PM

Not sure about the dfc figures. Ill have to look em up i may have some. :)

Ive got a serious soft spot for my dragons knights and daggers figures. I recently got a two headed serpent dragon ill be posting soon. They are quite available in all colors on ebay. The chariot sets ard rather spendy tho.... very rare to findem complete. My mom bought us lots of imperial figures because of how durable and inexpensive they were. They were a definite favorite of mine as well as a young kid. I had some mpc painted figures as well as a dino riders triceratops. I think i might still have the dinosaur somewhere unless it went in the missing box of dinosaurs....

All my millers are the large size. Aside from the brontotherium i have them all. Id like to get one someday but a deal hasnt surfaced. Id like to get the small set someday too, but alas the pricing... nothing beats finding old figures for a rare deal. I got all my millers besides the triceratops in a thrift store lot for less than $10... helps to hunt regularly.

Post your collection sometime :)

Just to clarify DFC is the name of the company that made them (Dimensions for children).  The more common name I see used is "Dragonriders of the Styx" but my set didn't have that name on the box or any of the dragonrider figures.  I did receive it second hand so maybe they were just missing.  It's hard to remember a box from a toy set you had 30 years ago. haha

I do know that I could easily replace my two headed dragon from ebay but what fun is that?  I personally like the hunt and I figure I will eventually run across one locally.  Maybe if I still haven't run across one in 10 years I'll break down and buy one on ebay.  I am pretty patient. I come from a large family of antique collectors so I spend a lot of time in thrift stores, yard sales, and antique malls.  Which is actually how I found my 3 miller dinos.  I found all three tucked away on the bottom shelf in an antique store.  I couldn't believe my luck. I picked up  a Stegosaurus, a Dimetrodon, and a Protoceratops all for $11.  The guy I bought them from is always rude and has crazy high prices on everything so I felt pretty good to catch him slipping on these.  He still has a couple marx figures I am interested in I just haven't gone back to get them.

I cant believe the deal you got on your miller dinos.  I probably would have squealed a little in the middle of the store. That is amazing, hopefully I run across some of those larger ones myself someday.

I will eventually post my collection.  I figured i would wait until it gets a little larger and set up the way I want.

Halichoeres

Quote from: dpepinmarquette on August 31, 2016, 04:54:16 AM
  I found all three tucked away on the bottom shelf in an antique store.  I couldn't believe my luck. I picked up  a Stegosaurus, a Dimetrodon, and a Protoceratops all for $11.  The guy I bought them from is always rude and has crazy high prices on everything so I felt pretty good to catch him slipping on these.  He still has a couple marx figures I am interested in I just haven't gone back to get them.

That is an extremely satisfying story.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archinto

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2016, 08:29:44 PM
  I found all three tucked away on the bottom shelf in an antique store.  I couldn't believe my luck. I picked up  a Stegosaurus, a Dimetrodon, and a Protoceratops all for $11.  The guy I bought them from is always rude and has crazy high prices on everything so I felt pretty good to catch him slipping on these.  He still has a couple marx figures I am interested in I just haven't gone back to get them.

I completely agree! Theprotoceratops is one of the rarest of the figures especially if itsthe black one.

dpepinmarquette

Quote from: Archinto on August 31, 2016, 10:38:43 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2016, 08:29:44 PM

I completely agree! Theprotoceratops is one of the rarest of the figures especially if itsthe black one.

Unfortunately it is not the black protoceratops.  Which is too bad because I love the look of the black miller dinos.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.