News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2016 releases

Started by Halichoeres, September 09, 2016, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albertosaurus

People who ordered from AMAZON:

How long did it take for your orders to be shipped? Cause I ordered the Chungkingosaurus some days ago and still waiting for it to be shipped.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Albertosaurus on September 11, 2016, 08:04:44 PM

How long did it take for your orders to be shipped? Cause I ordered the Chungkingosaurus some days ago and still waiting for it to be shipped.
First thing I ordered, the Huanghetitan, it took around 4 or 5 days to mark as shipped.  The Chungkingosaurus (with some of the little models) was marked as shipped after I think 3 days.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 11, 2016, 09:03:52 PM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on September 11, 2016, 08:04:44 PM

First thing I ordered, the Huanghetitan, it took around 4 or 5 days to mark as shipped.  The Chungkingosaurus (with some of the little models) was marked as shipped after I think 3 days.
I ordered mine via Amazon, I think it varies when th items really ship out.
My first order went out within 24 hours or order! My next one, the one I am waiting for, it took 3 days before it confirmed that it shipped.
So I think it varies - maybe depends what day of the week it was ordered and when they ship out would be my guess.

terrorchicken

does the Amazon seller combine shipping on the mini dinos?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 10, 2016, 10:43:27 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2016, 09:34:23 PM
The response of a fish's skin to turbulent flow can sometimes be difficult to understand. The placoid scales of sharks create tiny vortices that shield the surface of the body from interaction with water flowing smoothly, at a slightly greater distance, around the body. Rough textures can be surprisingly hydrodynamic (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8571218, which is open access at least in the US, but I don't know about elsewhere--PM me your email address if you want the pdf). That said, I think these figures are covered with grooves mostly to make them look more "detailed."

Only the abstract of the paper you linked to was available for me to read, but it was very interesting and informative!  Though, just how visible would these rough textures that are hydrodynamically advantageous be at the scales these figures are made in?  Photos of different extant sharks made the same size as the megalodon figure don't show them to be almost entirely covered in conspicuous grooves like the megalodon figure.  The skin detail on the megalodon figure looks like it's exaggerated to me.

Yeah, most of it is at a much smaller scale, like millimeters or maybe a couple of centimeters. I agree this looks exaggerated. You see really wrinkly skin on things like manatees and walruses, of course, but they're not exactly pursuit predators. Sperm whales are pretty rugose, but the "grain" of the texture is parallel to the body axis rather than perpendicular.

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 11, 2016, 11:40:10 PM
Yep. At some threshold shipping for me went to $0, although I was adding things so willy-nilly that I didn't notice exactly when.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

deanm

Yep. At some threshold shipping for me went to $0, although I was adding things so willy-nilly that I didn't notice exactly when.

Based on my two mini purchases, I think it is in the 15-18$ range.

Flaffy

I would like to see PNSO do more placodonts for the next wave.(placodus... henodus... placochelys...)
Triassic and Permian figures are a must.
Does anyone get a sort of PlayVisions vibe from the mini figures? I certainly do. ;D

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 10, 2016, 04:18:52 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on September 10, 2016, 03:29:22 AM
From what I can tell (the angle of the stock photos make this a bit difficult) the Chungkingosaurus' thagomizer isn't too far off. The last pair of spikes is more horizontal than the others which matches the literature. I wonder if the smaller stegosaurs may have had thagomizers oriented more vertically than Stegosaurus, the largest of the stegosaurians. I can imagine Chungkingosaurus using more vertical spikes to get all stabby in the face of an approaching Yangchuanosaurus if need be.
I hadn't actually thought of their relative sizes. I always picture how flexible Stegosaurus tail was but the smaller animals (especially those with more spines) may not have needed to be so aggressive in the first place.

Huayangosaurus is one of the smallest stegosaurians at 4.5 metres in length but apparently it has 2 pairs of horizontally extending tail spikes like Stegosaurus, as well as spike-like plates AND shoulder spikes AND small body osteoderms!  And... maybe even a small tail club!  http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Huayangosaurus-a-primitive-little-stegosaur-583224076

On the Chungkingosaurus Wikipedia page it says the Chungkingosaurus specimen CV 00208 is a series of ten vertebrae of a tail end with an articulated thagomizer. It also says this:
QuoteThe form of the thagomizer, the tail end spikes used as a defensive weapon, is only known from specimen CV 00208. It preserves two pairs of obliquely vertical, rather stout, spikes. Dong e.a. reported that a third pair to the front of these was originally present but lost during the excavation. A unique feature is the presence of an additional pair at the very tail end, consisting of long thin spikes oriented almost horizontally and obliquely to the sides and rear in top view.

The Paleofile Chungkingosaurus page shows the recovered parts of that specimen include five tail spikes and a portion of a sixth: http://www.paleofile.com/Dinosaurs/Armor/Chungkingosaurus.asp

Based on all this, it looks like the PNSO Chungkingosaurus's thagomizer could be accurate.  Also, it looks like Chungkingosaurus really did have that weird thagomizer with more than 2 pairs of spikes, with some spikes extending 'vertically' and some 'horizontally'!

ceratopsian

I've just had great pleasure disembowelling my box from China, ordered via Amazon.  It marked as shipped on 7th September - so much quicker to arrive here in the UK than I expected.  I was a bit alarmed when I opened the box to see Huanghetitan wasn't especially well padded - but my worries were vain.  (The model was padded nicely, that is, but there was plenty of space round it in the box, which had bowed a bit in transit.) Anyway, the bubble-wrap round it had done its job and it's in perfect condition.  I'm now wondering if I dare ask a colleague at work to have a look at the little accompanying booklet in Chinese!

By sheer chance, this most appropriate book arrived the same day:

(Image taken from Amazon)

The timing couldn't be better!

Huanghetitan is absolutely splendid.  It looks really impressive and I'm so glad that I succumbed to buying it.  Just need to think where to keep it long term.......

terrorchicken

Quote from: deanm on September 12, 2016, 12:14:37 PM

Based on my two mini purchases, I think it is in the 15-18$ range.

thanks!
Id like to get at least 2 or 3 so I might qualify for the free ship. I know I def want proceratosaurus but Im having a hard time deciding which other 2 to get. Id like to get figures in the 1/40 1/50 scale range since most of my figures fit that scale.

CityRaptor

I guess PNSO is a good reason to find a better term for Chinasaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dobber

So how are the paint apps on the actual figures compared to the pictures on Amazon? I am definitely interested in a few of these...namely Tyrannosaurus, Basilosaurus, C. Megalodon, and Huanghetitan. Dan's dinosaurs says the paint apps are simple. Do they not look like the Amazon pictures?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Dobber on September 13, 2016, 12:47:50 AM
So how are the paint apps on the actual figures compared to the pictures on Amazon? I am definitely interested in a few of these...namely Tyrannosaurus, Basilosaurus, C. Megalodon, and Huanghetitan. Dan's dinosaurs says the paint apps are simple. Do they not look like the Amazon pictures?

Chris

I think you can see pictures of Huanghetitan in the Recent Acquisitions thread and on Bokisaurus March of the Titans thread, but Bokisarus pictures are really good and often look like promotional pics  :)

sauroid

if you order more than ten of the minis on Amazon, is the shipping free?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

deanm

@ Sauroid     

For Amazon and the minis it appears that you only need 15-18$ to qualify for free shipping (based on my purchase).   :)

multiples of same or mix match seem to both work for the free shipping.  :)

sauroid

Quote from: deanm on September 13, 2016, 03:17:05 AM
@ Sauroid     

For Amazon and the minis it appears that you only need 15-18$ to qualify for free shipping (based on my purchase).   :)

multiples of same or mix match seem to both work for the free shipping.  :)
thank you  :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Bokisaurus

Chris
The pain app are actually really good on these figures, I would say better than some Safari or Collecta, IMHO.
The Photos are actually very true to the figures. The colors are natural, but there are so many subtle shades and layers with dry brushing that really brings the details out. I really like the colors on these guys, hope that helps.

Dobber

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 13, 2016, 04:43:53 PM

Chris
The pain app are actually really good on these figures, I would say better than some Safari or Collecta, IMHO.
The Photos are actually very true to the figures. The colors are natural, but there are so many subtle shades and layers with dry brushing that really brings the details out. I really like the colors on these guys, hope that helps.

It does help, thanks!  :D

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

acro-man

first peek on the real stuff.
a friend from the Chinese dinosaur forums shared the new PNSOs he found during his visit to Chungking National Museum
click below
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4784236737

• details are refined.
    material remains the same.
    same big.
    reasonable price for the big ones (less than $30)
    unreasonable bundle for the mini ones (6 in a pack, can't pick individually)
    visible flaws.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Flaffy

Online, the minis can be picked individually, so I don't mind too much about that.
Minis are expected to have flaws, as long as they don't affect the figure too much, then I'm fine with them.
Thanks for the images!  ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: