News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DC on April 22, 2012, 07:56:40 PM

From what I've been told by those that study these things a neck that low would be pretty extreme for Brachiosaurus, an animal designed for higher browsing, unlike Apatosaurus or Diplodocus. The higher legs in front are designed to get him more height to reach where others can't.   Maybe it lower like that to drink...I wouldn't think they would need to find a lake , river or waterfall just to get water to their mouths.
A giraffe can be used to an extent..but they aren't really built like Brachiosaurus. Giraffe's will spread their front legs wide to get really low..I don't think Brachiosaurus or it's close relatives would have had that range of motion in it's legs. It's definitely an action posture as there is movement going on in several places though.

It is hard to see an animal as big as Brachiosaurus feeding only at the very top of the canopy.  Somehow it needs to feed lower.  The stats on Giraffes are lower feeding is about 80%. There just is not as much high canopy food especially on the Morrison formation.  The advantage is Brachiosaur could feed higher, a source no competitor can reach, during the dry season rather than could only feed higher. I might like to see less angle or difference between the front and back legs though as I think that is more of a East African reconstruction.  What we need is a better/complete north American skeleton.  Right now it just best guess.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say they feed exclusively on the highest vegetation..trees vary in height and size , so maybe mid-level to high browser ? There is some range of motion in the neck..but it just looks painfully awkward when it's as low as the ground as some show so that may be an extreme.  I think it could reach the ground if it really had to but it wouldn't be a common position.

There certainly isn't nearly enough info on these animals.

ITewan

im a lil tired and a lil hungry

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ITewan on April 28, 2012, 03:59:18 AM
Everything Dinosaur has stocked the Schleich 2012's! :D
http://www.everythingdinosaur.com/models-and-inflatables/schleich-world-of-history-prehistoric-animal-models.html

I went ahead and bought the new Rex, and the Parasaurolophus repaint  :P I would have bought more but that's all I could afford ATM.

Thagirion

Anyone know if the Papo baby T-rexes are out yet? I only saw them listed on one store and they were not in stock. I only recently found out about them. Nothing on Ebay so I wasn't sure if they weren't out yet.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Thagirion on April 29, 2012, 02:03:03 PM
Anyone know if the Papo baby T-rexes are out yet? I only saw them listed on one store and they were not in stock. I only recently found out about them. Nothing on Ebay so I wasn't sure if they weren't out yet.

I don't think so. Dan usually posts when new pieces are in stock in his store and that means they have hit our country. Nothing yet though. :/

Thagirion

Yeah it was Dan's store where I saw the pics, but they said not in stock. I haven't seen a release date anywhere. Well I can't wait though. I want them both.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Thagirion on April 29, 2012, 09:23:13 PM
Yeah it was Dan's store where I saw the pics, but they said not in stock. I haven't seen a release date anywhere. Well I can't wait though. I want them both.

I was considering getting both and re-posing one.. ;D

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Thagirion

Oh my gosh so cute, and I can't really ready anything. The Euros convert to about $17 each. I wonder if they take paypal and ship here?  I love them closed mouth.

Horridus

Some of the new Schleich figures in the wild.

New T. rex with old 'Godzilla' T. rex for comparison.

And a couple of the new 'Velociraptor'. The lower lip sticks out and what I presume are the 'feathers' look like weird flaps of skin hanging from the arm; it is 99% scaly. Has weird, perching feet in spite of the fact that it's a knuckle-leaning tripod. Simply a horrible, horrible figure.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

That rex is so, SO GREEN. I couldn't handle that much lime on a shelf. In a drink, yes. :P

Horridus

Quote from: SBell on May 07, 2012, 06:52:49 PM
That rex is so, SO GREEN. I couldn't handle that much lime on a shelf. In a drink, yes. :P
The green here is a little accentuated by my oddly blue phone camera flash. But it's still very green, certainly closer to lime than anything. The stock photo is a little, uh, misleading. But then they often are...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

I honestly can't figure why Schleich owns so much of the market...those figures are YEARS behind anything other companies are producing..maybe even Bully. ;)

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2012, 06:59:43 PM
I honestly can't figure why Schleich owns so much of the market...those figures are YEARS behind anything other companies are producing..maybe even Bully. ;)
The Velociraptor is basically a knock-off of the Papo (which is itself a JP knock-off). It even has the weird squatting legs, even though there's no need for them.
@Mhorridus

Seijun

Any more news on the Bully mammals? Anyone? I tried asking them myself but they would not respond to emails. I'm still 50% convinced that this is all just a rumor.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Horridus on May 07, 2012, 07:01:33 PM
The Velociraptor is basically a knock-off of the Papo (which is itself a JP knock-off). It even has the weird squatting legs, even though there's no need for them.

Papo is a really good original sculpt based on the JP designs..not really a knockoff per se.  These guys are knockoffs of the Papo version though..and poor ones at that. Even their old Rex has a JP styled head.

I'm still not sure why the get so much of the market though..must have really good wholesale prices or something.

Roselaar

Quote from: Seijun on May 07, 2012, 07:10:55 PM
Any more news on the Bully mammals? Anyone? I tried asking them myself but they would not respond to emails. I'm still 50% convinced that this is all just a rumor.

Want to know too. I have high hopes for rereleased Bullys, I would be very disappointed if it turned out rumours were false... :-\

Dan

They aren't rumors. Bullyland contacted me directly, and even took specific order quantities. All that could potentially affect it now is their manufacturing plans.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2012, 07:30:28 PM

Papo is a really good original sculpt based on the JP designs..not really a knockoff per se.  These guys are knockoffs of the Papo version though..and poor ones at that. Even their old Rex has a JP styled head.

I'm still not sure why the get so much of the market though..must have really good wholesale prices or something.
They are very aggressive with retailers, that's why--they have many of them convinced that Schleich is the way to go (even though their line keeps changing and prices keep rising).  It also has to do with damage dine by Safari 12 years ago, and they are still paying for that (although the same behaviour isn't affecting Schleich).

indy1936

Quote from: SBell on May 07, 2012, 07:42:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2012, 07:30:28 PM

They are very aggressive with retailers, that's why--they have many of them convinced that Schleich is the way to go (even though their line keeps changing and prices keep rising).  It also has to do with damage dine by Safari 12 years ago, and they are still paying for that (although the same behaviour isn't affecting Schleich).

What happened with Safari 12 years ago?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: