News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 07:13:25 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2012, 04:59:00 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 02:34:14 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2012, 08:06:58 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 12:02:36 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2012, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 13, 2012, 08:16:50 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2012, 05:44:08 PM
Does anyone else manage to wait and make one big order from their store of choice ?  It's a hard thing to do ! lol

I just wait until they come into the store  ;D Seeing as I rarely need Papo, and even more rarely Schleich, I can usually trade to get those with Safari or CollectA figures (which we do carry).  We are also looking into Bullyland, because why not?

I try supporting my local store but the markup is so much..I now only buy the Safari Dragons from there as Dan doesn't them so far.

I do collect Papo and I have been looking for some of the older Schleich pieces...but they don't seem to come up for trade often as far as  I can tell.

Bully..sure if you can carry em' why not indeed. If they do make something you want you will have ready access ! ;D

Hey, I can get you the dragons (most of them--some sell ridiculously fast).

Cool. I have to get the new 2012 from my list. My grandpa and aunt picked up the last ones for me for Christmas. ;D

Well, we've still got the Cloud ($22), Swamp ($15 or $17, can't remember at this point) and hatchlings ($5? $6?).  And of course the Hydra, which is extra cool ($25).

One thing about this year--someone really likes purple!

I might take you up on the Cloud dragon..it was my favorite one this year. ;D The swamp dragon I'm kinda of on the fence about..sometimes I look at it and think it could be better other times I'm satisfied with it.

I've been trying to suggest to Safari they do more realistic paint schemes for these guys..like Mcfarlane toys did with their dragon line. The Ice Dragon was nice and I only touched up the paint on the Fire Dragon ..but I'm not a huge fan of the metallic paint..feels kinda cheap to me.

I'm hoping to get a chance to see these guys in person during my vacation next month.

The cloud dragon may be their coolest one--it is made of a similar material as the Krystal Blue, so it is somewhat translucent, with painted highlights.  The swamp could use a more dynamic paint job.

My thoughts exactly. The Cloud looks really cool..very nice pose too.

The Swamp looks to have detail..but they didn't take advantage of it. I may get it and repaint. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

First review of the new Safari / Carnegie Brachio : http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.com/2012/05/brachiosaurus-by-safari-ltd-carnegie.html

You can translate it to English by clicking the translate button under the page's title.

Bokisaurus

It looks so small next to that older version! Mine is supposed to have shipped, so maybe next week he will show up ;D

darylj

Is this model actually available in the uk?
I am seriously excited about this model and think it is one of the best brachiosaur models ive ever seen

Himmapaan

Eventually, but not yet.

Bokisaurus

Okay, here you guys, some of CollectA's newer figures! >:D
I have to say I'm impressed by these figures, especially the antelopes and megacerops! They are every bit as the pictures had promised ;D
First up, the mighty Megacerops! This guy (and he is unmistakable >:D) is HUGE! He measures 8" inches long and 4.5" tall!
[

And here he is with Malcolm's

He is definitely my favorite prehistoric mammal now! >:D

From Argentina, Argentinosaur!
Either the eyes were redone, or it was just bad angle, I'm glad to report that its not sticking out! >:D

Here he compared to Wild Safari's Brachi, he is slightly smaller in size at around 10" long (uncurled tail and vertical neck) and 7" tall.

Tyrant King with his prey! Here are both side views and close up of the head. Mine can balance on his two feet, but not as stable. He falls when table is bumped. I think the prey added extra weight to the front. It will be hard to find one that is perfectly balanced. Good luck. Overall, its a good, different take on an old staple ;D
Oh, and the color and paint job on mine is nice,too ;)

And now, the non-prehsitoric ungulates. CollectA went all out this year on antelopes! This guys are the best antelope figures I have ever seen!
The pair of sable antelope (male black, female reddish). CollectA did a poll earlier and asked their fans which of the two sculpts they like the most. Overwhelming response was both! So they decided to release both, converting one into female.

The beautiful Eland! I love this one!
[

The Majestic Waterbuck!

The entire herd including the wildebeest

There you have it! Enjoy >:D

Himmapaan

I really want those antelope. CollectA's extant animals are harder to find for me, even online, and those are often superior to their prehistorics.

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 12:26:28 AM
I really want those antelope. CollectA's extant animals are harder to find for me, even online, and those are often superior to their prehistorics.

I agree, those are beautiful. I'm finding myself more drawn to them than I am the prehistorics but I must keep reminding myself...no extant animals! Out of those prehistorics I'm most impressed with the Argentinosaurus. The Tyrannosaur does not impresses me much (never did) but I do like the color. I like the Megacerops as well.

SBell

We are anxiously awaiting those and the prehistorics in our store. Of course, our distributor is a pain in the arse, and our rep is terrible at communicating, so who knows when that will be.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 18, 2012, 05:35:08 PM
First review of the new Safari / Carnegie Brachio : http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.com/2012/05/brachiosaurus-by-safari-ltd-carnegie.html

You can translate it to English by clicking the translate button under the page's title.

Thank you for posting my review. Yes it look small near the old version, but it's also because the old one was very massive and too bulky

Darwinian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2012, 05:44:08 PM
Does anyone else manage to wait and make one big order from their store of choice ?  It's a hard thing to do ! lol

Dan has been great at holding pieces for me so I can just do one big order.

ITewan

How did you get it? O.O
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Gryphoceratops

Could you put an image of the new brachio next to the WS model too?  I'd like to see that size difference the most. 

The new collecta prehistorics are a bit disappointing especially the rex.  Why is the prey at a horizontal angle?  Should the limbs be dangling down? 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 19, 2012, 01:19:35 AM

I agree, those are beautiful. I'm finding myself more drawn to them than I am the prehistorics but I must keep reminding myself...no extant animals! Out of those prehistorics I'm most impressed with the Argentinosaurus. The Tyrannosaur does not impresses me much (never did) but I do like the color. I like the Megacerops as well.

Same here..I'll definitely pick up the Argentinosaurus now... I do wish it were larger..maybe next year it can be a deluxe.. or one of the REALLY big pieces like the Rex and Trike.
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on May 19, 2012, 01:38:13 AM

Thank you for posting my review. Yes it look small near the old version, but it's also because the old one was very massive and too bulky

No problem. I happened across it on Safari's FB page..congrats on getting it posted there !

It's a little bulky..but I really do think the scale is just slightly different in these Brachios despite what Safari says. ;)

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 19, 2012, 06:44:47 AM
The new collecta prehistorics are a bit disappointing especially the rex.  Why is the prey at a horizontal angle?  Should the limbs be dangling down?

Personally I think it conveys a sense of motion to the figure. It's as if the Tyrannosaurus has just snatched the Struthiomimus off the ground and is getting away as fast as possible.

I think the new prehistorics look pretty good-they're finally getting away from putting the orange slit-eyes on all their figures. Plus, the Struthiomimus is feathered! How many feathered ornithomimosaur toys are there besides this and the Deinocheirus?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2012, 07:20:12 AM

Same here..I'll definitely pick up the Argentinosaurus now... I do wish it were larger..maybe next year it can be a deluxe.. or one of the REALLY big pieces like the Rex and Trike.

No problem. I happened across it on Safari's FB page..congrats on getting it posted there !

It's a little bulky..but I really do think the scale is just slightly different in these Brachios despite what Safari says. ;)

Well, I would say that the body proportions that are different. See that the chest is the same height and also the legs. Anyway Safari says it's 1/50 which is very feasible

Gwangi

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 19, 2012, 06:44:47 AM

I was wondering that myself but then came to the same conclusion as Brontozaurus. Still, it looks odd, I would rather the limbs be dangling down.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on May 19, 2012, 12:52:42 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2012, 07:20:12 AM

Well, I would say that the body proportions that are different. See that the chest is the same height and also the legs. Anyway Safari says it's 1/50 which is very feasible

We discussed this in depth on here before..maybe in he old forum though?  Safari says 1/50 now..previously the old Brachio was listed as 1/40 and I think 1/30 once in older catalogs.  I can tell the back is quite a bit higher..the neck position makes the chest a bit deceiving.  I mentioned a larger scale to Safari..they said they went smaller with this one to keep the price more affordable for everyone..which is fine I guess..but I would have gone a bit bigger. The really nice WS Brachio is at a good price point for others that want a cheaper alternative.

deanm

After a quick search and finding nothing of additional detail aside from the couple of stock photos.

Does anyone have the repainted Scheliech (spelling, my nenesis  ;D)?

I want to see the new butterfly paintjob from a couple of  angles.
ONly one I found is this, which still not gives you a good view of the wings. Frankly, not sure how I like the butterfly design *yuck*

Roselaar

Love the Mecacerops and Argentinosaurus! Good to see they're not small figures. The T-Rex is good enough, but not perfect.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: