News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horridus

Quote from: Brontozaurus on May 19, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 19, 2012, 06:44:47 AM
The new collecta prehistorics are a bit disappointing especially the rex.  Why is the prey at a horizontal angle?  Should the limbs be dangling down?
Personally I think it conveys a sense of motion to the figure. It's as if the Tyrannosaurus has just snatched the Struthiomimus off the ground and is getting away as fast as possible.
Or maybe it's still alive! It's not that badly mangled. Of course, that raises the question of how the lumbering tyrannosaur managed to catch it...

It looks like a good figure to me, even if it's not perfect. I think I'll be getting one.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Quote from: Horridus on May 19, 2012, 06:46:18 PMIt looks like a good figure to me, even if it's not perfect. I think I'll be getting one.

I'm almost astonished...

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: Horridus on May 19, 2012, 06:46:18 PMIt looks like a good figure to me, even if it's not perfect. I think I'll be getting one.
I'm almost astonished...
Very droll...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Quote from: Horridus on May 19, 2012, 06:59:39 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
I'm almost astonished...
Very droll...
Actually, I was half serious. I'm a little disappointed with it myself, and so I thought you, as a die-hard T.rex fan, might be even more so...

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 07:01:49 PM
Actually, I was half serious. I'm a little disappointed with it myself, and so I thought you, as a die-hard T.rex fan, might be even more so...
Well, I have worse T. rex figures. ;) Seriously though, the price is an important factor here. Collecta figures are always cheap, and for all the improvements that could be made here (particularly around the head) it's actually not TOO bad, accuracy wise - at least it has a bulky rear end, short arms and hands that face the right way, and isn't yet another figure 'inspired' by JP.

I've got to admit though that that closeup of the head isn't flattering. It looks like the eyes are facing sideways, and it has rather blunted teeth and, seemingly, a lack of jaw muscles.
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have to say I'm not very impressed with it..even taking into account all the points good and bad ..it's nice and a step forward in the science..but it seems a step back in the art and design to what CollectA had been reaching for. I want to be impressed you know ?

I had a cool idea..maybe CollectA will do a sauropod in their 1/15 scale next year ?  That would so very sweet ! ;D

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2012, 07:41:04 PM
I had a cool idea..maybe CollectA will do a sauropod in their 1/15 scale next year ?  That would so very sweet ! ;D
Maybe Europasaurus? I don't think I'd be able to afford/find space for a 1:15 non-dwarf sauropod :P
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

If anything, I want someone to release a line solely dedicated to 1:70 scale sauropods.  ;D That would be heavenly...

Sharptooth

Those new Collectasaurs look great, too bad that Rex has an head which almost looks nothing like a proper tyrant's skull...  :P

Anyway, really like the figures, even the antelopes!  8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Horridus on May 19, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2012, 07:41:04 PM
Maybe Europasaurus? I don't think I'd be able to afford/find space for a 1:15 non-dwarf sauropod :P

It can be a smaller species..I'm just ball parking something around 3' or so..like the already existing 1/15 pieces. It would be a great way to get a nice big sauropod on the market. Of course  I wouldn't care if it were 5-6' ( can you say lawn ornament ? ;D ) ..if it was really nice..I'd go 200.00 or so on it. Would be a a great way to really up the scale of the Argentinosaurus for example. ;)

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 08:19:04 PM
If anything, I want someone to release a line solely dedicated to 1:70 scale sauropods.  ;D That would be heavenly...

Darn..kinda small for my tastes..even the largest sauropods would be fine by me at 1/40 or so.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 20, 2012, 02:29:24 AM
Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 08:19:04 PM

Darn..kinda small for my tastes..even the largest sauropods would be fine by me at 1/40 or so.
;D Space is too much of a premium for me. And you know my regard for small but beautifully formed things.  ^-^ With David Krentz's Antediluvians to go by, I just think sauropods at that size are somehow just right for me; whether to handle, paint or display.

CityRaptor

Yes, that is an issue with Sauropods. On one hand I want figures that show off their massive size, on the other hand they take a lot of space. Guess that is why most of my Sauropods are smaller Figures.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Metallisuchus

The Carnegie Amargasaurus is a perfect sauropod figure - it shows the brilliance of the animal without taking up too much space (they were relatively small for sauropods anyway...).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 20, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
The Carnegie Amargasaurus is a perfect sauropod figure - it shows the brilliance of the animal without taking up too much space (they were relatively small for sauropods anyway...).

That is a good point there..maybe I'll build one someday.. ;D

I wish I could head to your houses... I'm sure  I could find space. It's one of my little talents. I can cram a lot of stuff in a small space. Whether by going higher or recessing into a wall..it can be done. ;)

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 20, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 20, 2012, 03:42:16 PM

That is a good point there..maybe I'll build one someday.. ;D

I wish I could head to your houses... I'm sure  I could find space. It's one of my little talents. I can cram a lot of stuff in a small space. Whether by going higher or recessing into a wall..it can be done. ;)

Haha, you haven't seen my house. I CAN make room for this stuff, it's just a matter of "well where does the other stuff go then?". That's not why I generally don't buy sauropods though - I just find them the least interesting of the main dinosaur groups. I really like my carnivores more than anything else.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Could you put an image of the new brachio next to the WS model too?  I'd like to see that size difference the most. 

Himmapaan

Ah, it's appreciably larger than the Safari, I see.  :D

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 20, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
Haha, you haven't seen my house. I CAN make room for this stuff, it's just a matter of "well where does the other stuff go then?".
Ha, ditto.  ;D And sadly, I do not live in a house (nor likely to afford to in this lifetime), but a little flat on the eighth floor of a grotty council block.  I scarcely have room to move my elbow when I'm drawing. ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a good size..but not much bigger. The length is hard since the pose is different...but has the new Brachio had the same pose as the older WS one it would closer I'm guessing.  That striding forward front foot even looks about the same size.  Might work alright as a sub-adult and adult if painted to match though..one good upside.  Overall I'm not sure the size really justifies the price. Safari said they were trying to keep the price down but the new Brachio is 30.00 and the older Wild Safari is only 14.00 . Seeing both on a shelf together most parents would opt for the WS I think.   I'll still pick one up for my collection but I would be MUCH happier if it were a bit larger for another 5-10.00 bucks. :/

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on May 20, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
Could you put an image of the new brachio next to the WS model too?  I'd like to see that size difference the most. 

Ah thank you!  Its pretty big which is a relief.  I'll probably end up getting it. 

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Horridus on May 19, 2012, 07:23:11 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on May 19, 2012, 07:01:49 PM
Well, I have worse T. rex figures. ;) Seriously though, the price is an important factor here. Collecta figures are always cheap, and for all the improvements that could be made here (particularly around the head) it's actually not TOO bad, accuracy wise - at least it has a bulky rear end, short arms and hands that face the right way, and isn't yet another figure 'inspired' by JP.

I've got to admit though that that closeup of the head isn't flattering. It looks like the eyes are facing sideways, and it has rather blunted teeth and, seemingly, a lack of jaw muscles.

>:DWell it's a unique figure for sure, there is no other T-rex figure out there with a prey attached to its mouth. ;D :))
CollectA's attempts to  produce figures that is unique in design, minimize inaccuracy, and balances well on proportioned feet, is proving to be tricky as demonstrated by this T Rex figure.
I believe that despite some of its flaws, the biggest issue will be stability. Of all the figures designed this year, this is where a slightly oversized feet can (and should have) make a big difference. The feet are small and proportioned, but is not enough to make this figure stable. I think the miscalculation is when the prey was added. This made the figure front-heavy. I was lucky enough to get a figure that can balance, but barely, on its feet. However, any slight vibration will send it falling head first!
It could be one reason why the prey's feed is not dangling (although giving it motion is more likely the explanation) as much. I would not be surprised if in future production it will be given a base (like the Oviraptor before it). If that happens, this version will be hard to find. ;)
The figure itself is a good size, about the same as the KintoFavorite (fits nicely as a pair, too) figure.
I'm hoping that the Deinocheirus will not have the same issues this rex has with stability.

Cool new Brachio from Safari, but may they cost so munch!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: