News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on May 31, 2012, 06:53:03 AM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 31, 2012, 02:05:29 AM
Maybe one of the customizing experts on here can make that brachio's neck go up more?
Just put a good looking female Brachio next to him! LOL! (Sorry, just got finished reading Marc's "innuendo-filled" review. 8))

And yeah, Blade, that looks good. He still could be a bit bigger yet, compared to that WS Allo. But still, they look pretty good together. I thought this new Brachio would look nice with the WS figs. Actually, maybe size-wise it looks a bit better than the WS Brachio does with the other WS figs, since he's a little more massive. Did you add the red stripes on Al? Looks good and compliments the Brachio well.

I read that review as well..lol I still also think she is pretty slender..really much more so than " correct " if I'm not mistaken.

The slant of the base makes the head go up without needing any work at all..lol It's really close to being on par with the WS piece..I'm actually curious why they didn't just scale that one up a little. :?

Yeah that Allo is one of a pack I have customized with different color stripes..most of the pack is dealing with a Stegosaurus currently..but one curious fellow decided to to go check out the new buffet..er..kid on the block. :))

Seijun

For anyone interested, here is a skeletal of Brachiosaurus altithorax by Nima Sassani:
http://paleo-king.deviantart.com/#/d4slf2d

and another of Giraffititan brancai:
http://paleo-king.deviantart.com/#/d4sljwd

So if those are correct, it appears that very little material has been recovered from b. altithorax.  And if b. altithorax looked anything like giraffititan, then the neck of the carnegie model should probably have been thicker (in profile anyway), and the chest should probably have been deeper. However, I don't own the model yet, so I am just going off member photos. Still a lovely model though, and still the most accurate sauropod toy to date, in my unprofessional opinion.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Seijun on May 31, 2012, 09:04:41 AM
For anyone interested, here is a skeletal of Brachiosaurus altithorax by Nima Sassani:

So if those are correct, it appears that very little material has been recovered from b. altithorax.  And if b. altithorax looked anything like giraffititan, then the neck of the carnegie model should probably have been thicker (in profile anyway), and the chest should probably have been deeper. However, I don't own the model yet, so I am just going off member photos. Still a lovely model though, and still the most accurate sauropod toy to date, in my unprofessional opinion.

I was looking at Nima's myself for reference and that's where I got the idea the chest and body should have been deeper. I think the thin look to this one is more typical of a really young juvenile. Heck if the head was larger and few other bits changed it make a better hatchling replica I bet.

tanystropheus

Interesting. Even with the diagrams, I'm still not sure if I got it right:

Brachiosaurus altithorax
-Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus
-Papo 2012 Brachiosaurus

Giraffititan branchai
-WS Brachiosaurus
-Schleich 2012 Brachiosaurus

Can someone correct me if I got it wrong....? :-[

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm not sure where the Schleich and the new Papo Brachi will fit really.  The old Carnegie Brachi should be a Giraffititan I think.

Bokisaurus

Well, I finally received the new Safari Brachio. Hmmm, overall, I like the figure, but was not as excited as I was hoping to be. The neck pose is great, it's what gives the figure its uniqueness.  The sculpting is good, as expected. :D
However, there is just something that is a bit awkward about the figure to me.

Looking at skeletal pics and also illustrations, it just looks like the body is too thin, long,  and narrow for a Brachio. The chest could be deeper I think, the slender body just makes it too long and narrow. Is the tail the right length for a Brachio? It also seems a bit long maybe?
But the real issue I have with this figure is its coloration >:(. Really, Safari should retire the Olive/Avocado green paint that they have been giving their figures (mostly  the Carnegie series) the last five years!
I mean, the Diplodocus, Tylosaurus, Spinosaurus, Carno, Nigersaurus, and now the Brachi all have the same color palette! *yuck* It would make the figures more interesting if they were a bit more creative in giving their wonderful figures more interesting and creative paint schemes.
I  was hoping that I will learn to like the bright red on its back when I see it in person, but alas, I really don't care much for it personally. Perhaps if the overall body color was darker, or even grey or brown, the red won't be so bad. But on a bright olive green? It just contrast so much, and really takes away from the nice details ( it does not help that the paint application is so thick, too).
Imagine how much cool it would have been if it was given, say, the same color schemes as this CollectA Argentinosaurus?

Here he is with the WS Brachio, he is not that much bigger ;)

And with the Diplo

The Four generations of Safari Brachiosaurus figures, two Carnegie and two WS

Blade-of-the-Moon

Great pics Boki ! I knew yours would turn out so much better than than mine. ;D

I agree on all points of the sculpt you mentioned..it's just way too thin..like super-model-chain-smoker thin,,the chest and belly are just way too high. Especially when you look at the WS Brach next to  it. 

On the issue of color..it's always repaint-able of course..your pieces there prove that.. :)  Did you mean all those figures mentioned have the same pattern or color ? The Carno and Tylo aren't green that I recall at all. The Niger is but I think it's different enough in tones. Now the Spino,  Diplo and even the older Apato all are pretty similar.

I like the pic with the Argentinosaurus..I plan to get that one. Hopefully it will be made as a larger figure later on.. ;D

You know I knew I'd seen the pose of the new Brachio before..here's where :

Pretty similar really. :?

Primeval12

Who makes that Brachiosaurus?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: primeval12 on June 02, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
Who makes that Brachiosaurus?

That image I posted ? It's actually a readily available 1/1 statue of a Camarasaurus. : http://www.thegreenhead.com/2007/06/full-size-camarasaurus-dinosaur-replica.php

John

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 02, 2012, 04:28:30 PM
Well, I finally received the new Safari Brachio. Hmmm, overall, I like the figure, but was not as excited as I was hoping to be. The neck pose is great, it's what gives the figure its uniqueness.  The sculpting is good, as expected. :D
However, there is just something that is a bit awkward about the figure to me.

Looking at skeletal pics and also illustrations, it just looks like the body is too thin, long,  and narrow for a Brachio. The chest could be deeper I think, the slender body just makes it too long and narrow. Is the tail the right length for a Brachio? It also seems a bit long maybe?
But the real issue I have with this figure is its coloration >:(. Really, Safari should retire the Olive/Avocado green paint that they have been giving their figures (mostly  the Carnegie series) the last five years!
I mean, the Diplodocus, Tylosaurus, Spinosaurus, Carno, Nigersaurus, and now the Brachi all have the same color palette! *yuck* It would make the figures more interesting if they were a bit more creative in giving their wonderful figures more interesting and creative paint schemes.
I  was hoping that I will learn to like the bright red on its back when I see it in person, but alas, I really don't care much for it personally. Perhaps if the overall body color was darker, or even grey or brown, the red won't be so bad. But on a bright olive green? It just contrast so much, and really takes away from the nice details ( it does not help that the paint application is so thick, too).
Imagine how much cool it would have been if it was given, say, the same color schemes as this CollectA Argentinosaurus?

Here he is with the WS Brachio, he is not that much bigger ;)

And with the Diplo

The Four generations of Safari Brachiosaurus figures, two Carnegie and two WS

The Carnegie Brachiosaurus differs in proportion from the usual Brachiosaurus restorations because this particular model is not the usual African species now identified as Giraffatitan brancai,but the American Brachiosaurus altithorax as reconstructed by Mike Taylor.The skeletal diagram shown in the earlier post from Deviant Art is deceiving because it's not anywhere near as accurate as the one used by Taylor in his 2009 paper.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on June 02, 2012, 05:37:37 PM

The Carnegie Brachiosaurus differs in proportion from the usual Brachiosaurus restorations because this particular model is not the usual African species now identified as Giraffatitan brancai,but the American Brachiosaurus altithorax as reconstructed by Mike Taylor.The skeletal diagram shown in the earlier post from Deviant Art is deceiving because it's not anywhere near as accurate as the one used by Taylor in his 2009 paper.

Is there a link anywhere to that image ?

Edit : Never mind, found this one : http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/brachio/images/figures/Taylor-SVP-Brachiosaurus-fig7-reconstruction-R3.jpeg

The link the post is here : http://svpow.com/category/papers-by-sv-powsketeers/page/3/

Comparing the figure to it , it does explain the elongated body and tail. But the belly and chest still seem too high by a bit.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 02, 2012, 05:45:53 PM
Quote from: John on June 02, 2012, 05:37:37 PM

Is there a link anywhere to that image ?

Edit : Never mind, found this one : http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/brachio/images/figures/Taylor-SVP-Brachiosaurus-fig7-reconstruction-R3.jpeg

The link the post is here : http://svpow.com/category/papers-by-sv-powsketeers/page/3/

Comparing the figure to it , it does explain the elongated body and tail. But the belly and chest still seem too high by a bit.
Oh I don't know,the belly and chest seem right to me,it's probably just my own preference of how dinosaurs should look.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 01, 2012, 02:33:15 AM

Interesting. Even with the diagrams, I'm still not sure if I got it right:

Brachiosaurus altithorax
-Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus
-Papo 2012 Brachiosaurus

Giraffititan branchai
-WS Brachiosaurus
-Schleich 2012 Brachiosaurus

Can someone correct me if I got it wrong....? :-[
Actually,the Papo Brachiosaurus is based on the ones in the Jurassic Park movies and Disney's Dinosaur,so by extension it too is technically Giraffatitan,just as the Wild Safari and Schleich ones are.

Simon

It is too bad the 2012 Carnegie Brach is so small;  but let's take a look at the 2 figures released so far that are the best of the 2012 crop in my opinion:

1.  WS Acrocanthosaurus

2.  Collecta Therizinosaurus

Best of all, the two figures are in scale with each other, so they can be positioned opposite each other, as if in a confrontation ...

John

Quote from: Simon on June 02, 2012, 07:41:37 PM
It is too bad the 2012 Carnegie Brach is so small;  but let's take a look at the 2 figures released so far that are the best of the 2012 crop in my opinion:

1.  WS Acrocanthosaurus

2.  Collecta Therizinosaurus

Best of all, the two figures are in scale with each other, so they can be positioned opposite each other, as if in a confrontation ...
By coincidence,both (Therizinosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus)are in scale with the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Need a good Tarbosaur to go with that Therizino.. ;)

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 03, 2012, 12:10:18 AM

CollectA Tarbo wont work?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on June 03, 2012, 12:22:15 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 03, 2012, 12:10:18 AM

CollectA Tarbo wont work?

It's ok..just missing the correct pose I think...should be attacking. ;)  I'm also not sure about the scale either since I don't yet own either one.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on May 31, 2012, 02:05:29 AM
Maybe one of the customizing experts on here can make that brachio's neck go up more?
Why exactly would you want to do that? Not that that it would be such a bad idea, but I quite like the current pose.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

To my own eyes the tail is too long. I am sure the sculpt is based accurately on whatever skeletal material , which is sparse, exists for the North American type.....but I am so used to seeing the shorter version that this kinda works against my eyes a little I guess. They have said this sculpt was based on the North American version, so making the chest smaller and thinner is something I would have expected them to do with a giraffatitan replica instead.
Oh well, each his own. I am still torn wether I will purchase one.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: